Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teachers Diploma in ICT (EDI formally JEB)

• 22-08-2009 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Teachers Diploma in ICT (EDI formally JEB)

Does anybody know anything about this course? I've been thinking about doing it for a long time but it was only available full time. They've now made it available part time and it's reasonably priced too. I used to do computer training a few years ago teaching adults basic computers and really enjoyed it. I also like the added bonus that if I'm employed after the course then I'll more than likely be working a) school hours or b) evenings, either way meaning I get to spend more time with my two kids than I do now working full time 9-5. It only takes two years to complete.

The questions I have are:

1. How much work is involved realistically, how much study would I need to do?
    2. Is a 5 year old laptop with Office 2007 enough to be working on to complete assignments?
    3. Is it very intensive?
    4. Is there (or was there before the big "R" came along) work out there following qualification?

These are all Q's that my other half has asked me to find out, he thinks that because I'm exhaused from being a working mum as it is that I should think very carefully before taking on anything else.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭littlelady

hi cluelessjewel
    I did this course about 3 years ago & I have to say I really enjoyed it. At the time I was doing some basic training like yourself & found it a huge help in what I was doing. 2 years part time seems like quite a long time, I did it part time over 6 months or so (I was very luck to be able to do it through work, one day per week). Who are you thinking of doing the course with?
    in answer to your questions - 1- If you have a background to training its a huge help, I did and as it was helping what I was already doing I found it very enjoyable. Its broken into Information Technology Skills (which your background will really help you with ) and Education Principles & Practices which is more so the theory behind learning & how we learn.
    2- yes I'd imagine your 5 year old laptop will be finer as long as it has word, excel, powerpoint & access on it, you will use these mostly for screenshots for creating exercises & manuals, if you had a printer that will be a huge help too.
    3 - I wountnt say intensive as its all very interesting, as long as you keep on top of assignments & classes a few hours study per week would be enough.
    4 - I cant help you with this one I'm afraid as I did it through my job and havent looked on the outside world.

It really is an enjoyable course, I understand with kids your time is limited but if you were training before you have a good headstart on it. I hope this is some help to you in making up your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Just bear in mind if you are hoping to work in the public sector education system ie second level you will need to have a degree in IT in order to teach it. All teachers in second level are also required to be registered with the Teaching Council and they seek a recognised teaching qualification ie HDip at least. see www.teachingcouncil.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cluelessjewel

Thanks a million for your reply littlelady.

Further Ed, thanks for the link. Can you do a HDip without a degree or do you have to have a degree do you know?

My intention would be hopefully Third Level rather than Second Level if that makes a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

My intention would be hopefully Third Level rather than Second Level if that makes a difference?

It makes a hell of a difference. :)

The JEB is utterly worthless at third level, it's all about academic qualifications. You will most likely need a degree and a masters to lecture at third level.

Over on the Teaching/Lecturing forum, there is a sticky with all you need to know about lecturing.

You don't need the H Dip to lecture at third level.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cluelessjewel

Ok it seems I've an AWFUL lot of homework to do... thanks for your replies, I'll have a nose on the teaching forum too. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 pearbelle

I am currently doing this course and am about to sit the final exam this week. we were told that the qualification is enough to get you a job in any VEC run establishment I.e. community school but not a department of education run school. only problem most of the VEC run ones wont take you on unless you have a certain amount of teaching hours under your belt so it leads to a catch 22 situation.
    Does anybody have any help with past exam papers so as i might have some idea what to expect????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I'm thinking of doing this course as i have ECDL and MOS and found them a doddle. Spent more time helping others out in it than learning it myself.

What realistic career opportunities are there for this Diploma?
    Like i wouldnt be too bothered about being a lecturer in a big 3rd level. A local VEC institute of further education or secondary level would be ideal for me.

If anyone could give any advice or help i would be very appreciative.

If you are seeking a job in a VEC run school or college (ie college of Further Education) then you will be paid out of state funds and hence subject to the requirements of the Teaching Council. From Sept 2012 all teachers paid by the state must be registered with the Teaching Council. Generally to register you must hold a degree in the relevant subject you wish to teach in or meet the requirements of a circular letter issued re your profession. As and from 2013 you will also need a teaching qualification.

If you are seeking a job in a VEC run school or college (ie college of Further Education) then you will be paid out of state funds and hence subject to the requirements of the Teaching Council. From Sept 2012 all teachers paid by the state must be registered with the Teaching Council. Generally to register you must hold a degree in the relevant subject you wish to teach in or meet the requirements of a circular letter issued re your profession. As and from 2013 you will also need a teaching qualification.

Cheers for the reply.
    So in other words the EDI/JEB will be worthless for teaching in a VEC run school, from 2013.

Would say so - although to be sure you will need to check with the Teaching Council. You will need a degree to be registered with them.

By the way the trend in FE is for teachers to have Masters or some industry experience along with a degree in the subjects they want to teach. Also remember there are no jobs - increasing class sizes means less new positions and the PLC cap has meant that despite the large number of applicants the FE colleges can not take the students. That said best of luck.

• Advertisement

Would say so - although to be sure you will need to check with the Teaching Council. You will need a degree to be registered with them.

By the way the trend in FE is for teachers to have Masters or some industry experience along with a degree in the subjects they want to teach. Also remember there are no jobs - increasing class sizes means less new positions and the PLC cap has meant that despite the large number of applicants the FE colleges can not take the students. That said best of luck.

I suppose the FAS instructor route would be the best. :)

As part of the establishment of SOLAS FAS Instructors are transferring over to VECs as all FE will be delivered by the new Local Education and Training Boards (old VECs).

So looks like same criteria will apply to them as for the VEC teachers - although reckon existing FAS instructors will be exempt but will be given timeframe to upskill and gain degree qualifications. Bottom line if you want to be paid by the State to deliver any training etc from FETAC Level 4 upwards you will need a degree (assume Level 7 or 8 ) and a training qualification at Level 8 or higher and t for any jobs that is before the competition starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Loobie

I did the JEB Diploma in 2005, but have mislaid my certificate. Does anyone know where I could get a copy? The centre where I did the course is no longer operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭lukin

My question is kind of related to Loobie's; I wanted to do the JEB but it has been scrapped. That creates a bit of a problem for someone who wants to teach IT at third level (or a VEC) as you have to be a registered teacher to do that. If you have the JEB you are a registered teacher but is there any other way you can become a registered teacher for the purpose of teaching IT in a school?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Capsilaroe

Loobie wrote: »
    I did the JEB Diploma in 2005, but have mislaid my certificate. Does anyone know where I could get a copy? The centre where I did the course is no longer operating.

I completed my JEB Teacher's Diploma in Dorset College in Dublin in 2007. Last year, I decided to get a replacement Diploma as the text on my current Diploma has faded in some parts. When I made enquiries to Dorset College, they directed me to the JEB UK website where one applies for the parchment but you must paid a compulsory fee of 65STG which is non refundable regardeless whether your records that you have completed the JEB Diploma has been found or not. In my case, despite me having my student number / Certificates Numbers / Copy of the JEB Diploma, they would not issue me another parchment as they delete students profiles after 6 years. They had no record for me. Therefore, I did not get the parchment. I was furious that they took my money but got nothing for it in return. It is a disgrace. Sorry.

Noel

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wicklow girl

Hi folks, hope some of you are still following this. I did this back in 2005 and can't find my cert any idea where I could get a copy?

Advertisement