Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off-Topic Thread: Post your Pics/You-Tube/Links/Banter here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

They could. It probably wont help the rest of us though!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

They could. It probably wont help the rest of us though!:D

You could be right but it would be great all the same.

How did you drift into the murky world of recording/production Arid?

Well I heard about this thing called audacity when I was 13/14 and I had a microphone that came with a book on recording that my granny picked up for me after I started playing guitar. Since then its just been a growing obsession with the possibilities of recorded sound, in all its manifestations. Got my first drum-machine after buying NIN's The Downward Spiral which started me on the road of electronic production, via Radiohead.

I'm nowhere near pro or anything but I have my own modest setup at home now and in two years time I'll have a degree in Music Technology (whatever good it'll do me!). I'm hoping record a good few bands over the summer, along with my own and my brother's. Have a couple lined up so far. Looking to increase my knowledge of live sound too, its a challenge I've enjoyed the few times I've been involved in it.

Well I heard about this thing called audacity when I was 13/14 and I had a microphone that came with a book on recording that my granny picked up for me after I started playing guitar. Since then its just been a growing obsession with the possibilities of recorded sound, in all its manifestations. Got my first drum-machine after buying NIN's The Downward Spiral which started me on the road of electronic production, via Radiohead.

I'm nowhere near pro or anything but I have my own modest setup at home now and in two years time I'll have a degree in Music Technology (whatever good it'll do me!). I'm hoping record a good few bands over the summer, along with my own and my brother's. Have a couple lined up so far. Looking to increase my knowledge of live sound too, its a challenge I've enjoyed the few times I've been involved in it.

Very good. Doing the stuff for the bands during the summer should be a real eye opener and a great way to put all that theory into practice.

The degree course should help open a few doors but the practical stuff of recording the other bands will do no harm either.

Yeah, every band gives rise to something new, something that I had never thought of before and I really love that. Its just constant learning. To be honest, having a list of 20 or 50 or 100 bands that I've recorded by the time I finish college will probably be of more use than the degree. Though I can always teach English with it anyway!

• Advertisement

Yeah, every band gives rise to something new, something that I had never thought of before and I really love that. Its just constant learning. To be honest, having a list of 20 or 50 or 100 bands that I've recorded by the time I finish college will probably be of more use than the degree. Though I can always teach English with it anyway!

It's always good to have a plan B.:)

I've even tapped up my old principal in the all-too-likely event of that worst case scenario coming to pass. I got an A in English in my leaving last year so I should be cool for a few HDip hours at least!

Really though, I'd kill for the chance to work in sound for the rest of my life, either studio or live as well as a songwriter. I know the odds though.:(

I've even tapped up my old principal in the all-too-likely event of that worst case scenario coming to pass. I got an A in English in my leaving last year so I should be cool for a few HDip hours at least!

Really though, I'd kill for the chance to work in sound for the rest of my life, either studio or live as well as a songwriter. I know the odds though.:(

Well somebody has to work in those studios so why shouldn't it be you? I think if you love what you're doing and can maintain that desire, you are in with a shout.

Here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

:)Best of luck Aridstarling, you will get there if you are really determined:)

I have recently learnt that invoices suck and my studio gets way too hot in the summer .......not me but for men over 50 in patricular.
    I also have taken a note that producing a song for a client is easy enough now that I have a small team of session players. I did my first 2 commercial voice overs on Thur+Frid and to my suprise it is extremely intense work, no wonder studios charge so much for that kinda thing, thrown in the deep end I was. I started mixing an album tonight until I had to go home from exhaustion, I haven't had a day off in 20 days between this and guitar lessons and when you work in town there is always time for a game of pool in the palace or a few pints in Flannery's (Please note I am single thats why) mad into the skirt I am these days (not that you basterds care about me, hee hee)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

feckin scantily clad women about in this weather. makes it difficult to get much done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

jtsuited wrote: »
    feckin scantily clad women about in this weather. makes it difficult to get much done.

Indeed Camden steet should have bee called something different like:

'nice ass street' or
    'nice legs street' or
    'nice smile street' or
    'get you xxxx out street' or
    'i wont tell my wife street' or
    ' will you tell my bird street?' or
    ' can i spank your bottom' street or
    ' open your mouth till I xxxx you street' or
    ' can you keep it shut street?'

Spank me mods I am just so bold tonight, spank me real hard till I cry for my Mammy..:pac:

good to hear you're doing well Dav (Although a cold shower and a 1k run wouldn't do any harm to your raging libido)! fair play!

dav nagle wrote: »
    Indeed Camden steet should have bee called something different like:

'nice ass street' or
    'nice legs street' or
    'nice smile street' or
    'get you xxxx out street' or
    'i wont tell my wife street' or
    ' will you tell my bird street?' or
    ' can i spank your bottom' street or
    ' open your mouth till I xxxx you street' or
    ' can you keep it shut street?'

Spank me mods I am just so bold tonight, spank me real hard till I cry for my Mammy..:pac:

Could be a bit tricky though if tourists ask for directions, especially if it's men folk:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

so, do you think it would be overkill for me to come out and do the Haka before I start a performance .... just to show the audience that I'm keen

:D:p:D

old gregg wrote: »
    so, do you think it would be overkill for me to come out and do the Haka before I start a performance .... just to show the audience that I'm keen

:D:p:D

It will certainly get their attention. Nothing worse than an audience that's not focused:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 xXxMUSICGURUxXx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_UZceIPNEQ&feature=related

let me know wat u tink!

me and my mate were board and thought we would make this for the laugh!!!:D

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_UZceIPNEQ&feature=related

let me know wat u tink!

me and my mate were board and thought we would make this for the laugh!!!:D

thanks!

bebo is that way
    >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 xXxMUSICGURUxXx

its me and my mate singing at a skul concert ting!!

im the one on the piano!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggFrnYZQ7cw&feature=channel

and here too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh-LQlFEDcA

thanks!!:D

New Topic.

Logic 9, looks like it's coming soon.

What do you reckon they've improved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

New Topic.

Logic 9, looks like it's coming soon.

What do you reckon they've improved?

The cardboard box :)

PMI wrote: »
    The cardboard box :)

LOL:D

You are obviously not a Logic fan.

It's the only thing I've ever used apart from a 4 track. Maybe I should try Pro Tools.

just saw Drag me to Hell tonight. Crazy funny terrifying film. Savage use of 5.1 in it. Must be the best horror I've seen soundtrack wise. The sound completely makes the film.

o dear, a friend knowing that this was one of the pivotal moments in my childhood awakening to music sent me this link that explains what old Joe was actually singing about, she wrote:
    "At last - Joe Cocker's lyrics!

For those of us who are old enough to know who Joe Cocker was....

Finally, after 40 years, someone has opened the vault and revealed the answer to a question that has clawed at our brains since the 1969 Woodstock album was released:

What WERE the lyrics to Joe Cocker's version of 'A Little Help From My Friends'? He was so wigged-out and loopy on a multitude of drugs, no one has been able to understand his garbled, mush-mouth version..."
    http://www.elwp.com/Joe%20Cocker.html

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭fitz

So, yesterday my band got confirmed for Oxegen.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

fitz wrote: »

congrats man,that great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Nice one Fitz - you kept that quiet :cool: You'll have no probs getting IMRO membership with that gig under your belt!

I'll be there with my brother for our annual Oxegen pilgrimage, so let us know when you're on.

Well done, great stuff!

coolio

... now you've four on the guest list :p

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭fitz

Thanks guys.
    We're opening the IMRO New Sounds Stage on the Sunday.
    Haven't got a time yet, but I'll let you know.
    Be good to see you there Yoda...

Advertisement