Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The Good Kit/Tips Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

cheers duff meant to say montagnes too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

dodgydes wrote: »
    ...Anyone recommend a better alternative to the Snugpak

there are two direct alternatives - Buffalo S6/Mountain, and Montane Extreme.

i've had all three, and all have problems.

the montane is, for me, the best built - however, the chest/map pocket is inbelievably fiddly and complete pain in the arrse to get into with three layers of overlapping material/velcro to get through, the kangeroo pocket both isn't particularly insulated so your hand can get cold if you're standing about, and most importantly its too shallow - the zips end where the pocket ends - so if you have anything in the pockets, keys, change, compass, used mags etc... and you start moving about or bend down, they all fall out.

every. single. fcuking. time.

the buffalo is a less forgiving fit than the montane, so its less easy to lob it on over other kit, however it has none of the design flaws of the montane, but its more expensive.

the snugpak is ok, its more like the buffalo than the montane, pockets are good and easy to access, but it has less less venting capability than the buffalo, although its it less fitted than the buffalo so doesn't get quite so hot quite so quickly. it does however look a bit bone compared to the others, but its half the price of the buffalo, and £25-£30 cheaper than the montane.

theres another one you may find secondhand - the Mardale - while ok, i found it had the same shallow (fcuking useless!) pocket as the montane, but the 'shapelessness' of the snugpak. they've gone out of business now, which is a pity because they made some good stuff, just not the pile smock.

personally, i'd wait a bit - given that i spent the wekend on the beach turning scarlett - its likely that the BA's rather tasty new buffalo style jacket will become available on fleabay by next sept/oct. another option is the Paramo Velez, not P2, but surprisingly warm with a baselayer and roasting with a 100wt fleece, completely waterproof, decent venting, and comfortable worn next to the skin and very breathable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

would it be a good idea to keep elastic bands with your camo cream ? ... so when your told to cam up you could use the elastic bands with grass , branches , leaves etc to break up the outline of the weapon or would you look stupid doing this ??? ... like would the heat off the weapon after firing cause you problems if you did this ?

any tips on packing the CEMO well ?

There's zero need to camo up your rifle, you're not a sniper.

What are you putting into your CEMO?

For the PDF folk on here who are using the IPLCS, a word of warning.

Having spent much of this year out on the ground on a rather frequent basis, carrying silly amounts of kit.... I've learned one important thing.

GET RID OF THE ISSUED DAYSACK.

It's not fit for the job. It's ****e when worn with CBA. It's too narrow. The radio cradle isn't worth a ****.

Toss it and buy something else along the lines of Karrimor Predator, Camelbak Motherlode etc.

Ive been told that the current RDFTA stds course has instructed its students to carry the exact same kit, packed in the same way as in the fold out from the an cosantoir article earlier this year...

bit pointless as the article was a photo of a PDF soldier with the battlevest and the newer bergan... we all still wear the PLCE webbing and bergan... typical sh*te.

I bought a berghaus crusader in 2010 and on the few assessments and ex's Ive been on, where I could wear my own crapo battlevest and that backpack Ive operated FAR more comfortably in the field. I cant wear it with the webbing as the ar$e of the bergan hangs too low and I cant wear the waist support. shame really. trying to source a decent vest similiar to the PDF one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I don't know how easy it is to buy from Ireland but IMO Kifaru make the best packs I've used. Excellent comfort with smart simple design. Covered in PALS webbing for attaching whatever pouches/ accessories you fancy. They are definitely pricey though unfortunately, but buy well once is a philosophy I tend to follow. They also do some nice woobies and sleeping systems.

Morphéus wrote: »
    Ive been told that the current RDFTA stds course has instructed its students to carry the exact same kit, packed in the same way as in the fold out from the an cosantoir article earlier this year...

bit pointless as the article was a photo of a PDF soldier with the battlevest and the newer bergan... we all still wear the PLCE webbing and bergan... typical sh*te.

I bought a berghaus crusader in 2010 and on the few assessments and ex's Ive been on, where I could wear my own crapo battlevest and that backpack Ive operated FAR more comfortably in the field. I cant wear it with the webbing as the ar$e of the bergan hangs too low and I cant wear the waist support. shame really. trying to source a decent vest similiar to the PDF one...

Did they really do that? That quite literally makes zero sense... "Pack your kit exactly as laid out in this handout, while using completely different kit!"

Those handouts are usually full of a packing list made by some head that hasn't put all that much thought into what actually gets used on the ground.

I've stripped my kit so bare these days to pack as light as possible due to the amount of mission essential kit I carry these days. It's surprising the amount of ****e you carry that you don't really need.
    I don't know how easy it is to buy from Ireland but IMO Kifaru make the best packs I've used. Excellent comfort with smart simple design. Covered in PALS webbing for attaching whatever pouches/ accessories you fancy. They are definitely pricey though unfortunately, but buy well once is a philosophy I tend to follow. They also do some nice woobies and sleeping systems.

Kifaru are supposed to be great alright. Went with Karrimor myself for a daysack, worked out great for me.

ill confirm by email with one of the students now and get back to you, but yes that's what i've been told, here's a handout... Your mission is to pack these 2 square pegs into those 2 round holes. typical muppetry.

agreed on the kit, I have also pulled a ton of crap out of my gear, the amount of bits of ration packs i found and other sundry items of non-use Id been dragging around over the years amazed me!

[edit] confirmed!! madness!!!! [/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

ill confirm by email with one of the students now and get back to you, but yes that's what i've been told, here's a handout... Your mission is to pack these 2 square pegs into those 2 round holes. typical muppetry.

agreed on the kit, I have also pulled a ton of crap out of my gear, the amount of bits of ration packs i found and other sundry items of non-use Id been dragging around over the years amazed me!

[edit] confirmed!! madness!!!! [/edit]

I wouldn't worry about what the RDFTA wants. I did a course with them a couple of years ago and they didn't impress.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

I think someone has gotten their wires crossed somewhere. I was at the briefings for the Standards in the RDFTA late last year, and while the handout you mention was given out, it was with the full disclaimer that this was just a guide for kit to have, rather than where to pack it (as it referenced the IPLCS).

An accompanying full demonstration of an example packed PLCE order was given. If you want the 'proper' PLCE handout from a few years ago, then PM me.

• Advertisement

As I say, you've been told wrong.

Poccington wrote: »
    Did they really do that? That quite literally makes zero sense... "Pack your kit exactly as laid out in this handout, while using completely different kit!"

Those handouts are usually full of a packing list made by some head that hasn't put all that much thought into what actually gets used on the ground.

It's not what the RDFTA have been telling people, though. I got the same handout, and it's the new updated (from the old PLCE one) glossy PDF Standards handout for the IPLCS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

For the PDF folk on here who are using the IPLCS, a word of warning.

Having spent much of this year out on the ground on a rather frequent basis, carrying silly amounts of kit.... I've learned one important thing.

GET RID OF THE ISSUED DAYSACK.

It's not fit for the job. It's ****e when worn with CBA. It's too narrow. The radio cradle isn't worth a ****.

Toss it and buy something else along the lines of Karrimor Predator, Camelbak Motherlode etc.

Couldn't disagree more mate, having also spent a silly amount of time on the ground recently. I think the issued daysack is the dogs. Even with CBA and especially when running. I have a camelbak motherlode but i hate wearing it with the Assault vest and CBA. Far too bulky.

Only gripe with the issued daysack is the constant unpacking and repacking when you inevitably need something that's at the bottom.

Murphys Law of Combat in relation to the issued daysack: Pack your wets at the top and it will never ever rain! EVER. Try it!!! :-)

John_D80 wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more mate, having also spent a silly amount of time on the ground recently. I think the issued daysack is the dogs. Even with CBA and especially when running. I have a camelbak motherlode but i hate wearing it with the Assault vest and CBA. Far too bulky.

Only gripe with the issued daysack is the constant unpacking and repacking when you inevitably need something that's at the bottom.

Murphys Law of Combat in relation to the issued daysack: Pack your wets at the top and it will never ever rain! EVER. Try it!!! :-)

Ah I dunno man, myself and pretty much all my platoon hate the bastard thing.

Once you start banging NVE, water, Toughbook, Camera, SINCGAR batteries, warm top, wets etc. the issued daysack just doesn't cut it. It's too narrow so you're constantly packing and unpacking, the radio cradle is crud, it's not built to be worn with CBA or else wasn't built with it in my mind, **** all padding or back support, buckles break far too easily, it can't take rocket pouches properly.... The list is endless for me :pac:

Delighted I bought the Predator pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Ah I dunno man, myself and pretty much all my platoon hate the bastard thing.

Once you start banging NVE, water, Toughbook, Camera, SINCGAR batteries, warm top, wets etc. the issued daysack just doesn't cut it. It's too narrow so you're constantly packing and unpacking, the radio cradle is crud, it's not built to be worn with CBA or else wasn't built with it in my mind, **** all padding or back support, buckles break far too easily, it can't take rocket pouches properly.... The list is endless for me :pac:

Delighted I bought the Predator pack.

I honestly wouldn't wear anything else with the cba and assault vest. Fair point on the buckles though. They're not worth a ****. Totally agree with you there.

As for the rocket pouches, I agree there also to a point but there is a solution for anyone who doesn't wanna go shelling out the major sheckles for something gucci, I got the zips off an old green set and had them stitched onto the daysack. The business.

Horses for courses I reckon.

John_D80 wrote: »
    I honestly wouldn't wear anything else with the cba and assault vest. Fair point on the buckles though. They're not worth a ****. Totally agree with you there.

As for the rocket pouches, I agree there also to a point but there is a solution for anyone who doesn't wanna go shelling out the major sheckles for something gucci, I got the zips off an old green set and had them stitched onto the daysack. The business.

Horses for courses I reckon.

I've seen the zips thing done myself but alas, we were warned not to go defacing DF property. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

The day sack is seriously shiite! I dont know anyone who likes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭userfriendly2

benwavner wrote: »
    The day sack is seriously shiite! I dont know anyone who likes it.

The daysack isnt the best to say the least but for run of the mill patrolling or a trip to the ranges it does the job, for all its shortfalls though i've always managed to fit everything needed but a few extra pockets would be nice:)

Just a quick one as I only noticed it myself a few weeks ago;

I went into the outdoor store lookin for a pair of the goretex socks as sum1 acquired mine somewhere along the way anyway as most of you will know the socks are an essential piece of kit especially when ur bogged down, anyway the ones I found were specifically for trekking and hiking, which was great as u dont wanna be going on a route march with the usual ones. I tried them and had no problems with my feet apart from the usual.

Definitely recommend them imo:)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭RedWolfCQB

This thread is great. I have my medical in two weeks and hopefully will be successful. Anyway!

Just wondering which leatherman would be more appropriate for military life?

http://americanexports.ie/en/product/39/798/Leatherman_MUT_Black.htm# - obviously this is geared towards military and armed forces etc. but are the tools on this actually useful? I believe the styer has all you need in the butt stock for maintenance?

http://americanexports.ie/en/product/39/617/Leatherman_Super_Tool_300.htm - probably not as high quality as the one above but maybe the more tools it has makes it more useful?

but of course I haven't a clue! yet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

RedWolfCQB wrote: »
    This thread is great. I have my medical in two weeks and hopefully will be successful. Anyway!

Just wondering which leatherman would be more appropriate for military life?

http://americanexports.ie/en/product/39/798/Leatherman_MUT_Black.htm# - obviously this is geared towards military and armed forces etc. but are the tools on this actually useful? I believe the styer has all you need in the butt stock for maintenance?

http://americanexports.ie/en/product/39/617/Leatherman_Super_Tool_300.htm - probably not as high quality as the one above but maybe the more tools it has makes it more useful?

but of course I haven't a clue! yet!

You require neither of the above.

You require neither of the above.

at the start of the thread they seem highly recommended?

at the start of the thread they seem highly recommended?

For a trained soldier yes. For a recruit, no.

For a trained soldier yes. For a recruit, no.

oh right thanks I wasn't planning buying one anytime soon, I'm just very curious on which one you would choose or is most commonly used. Would you ever use the bolt override tool?

oh right thanks I wasn't planning buying one anytime soon, I'm just very curious on which one you would choose or is most commonly used. Would you ever use the bolt override tool?

No.

Wave is the most you'll need, it has very good pliers, and a very definite knife lock.

No.

Wave is the most you'll need, it has very good pliers, and a very definite knife lock.

X2
    Wave is grand, I've had mine nearly two years now and has NEVER let me down...EVER... the two times I used it haha:D

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

styre doesnt have maintinance kit in butt stock, the army took the kits out.

X2
    Wave is grand, I've had mine nearly two years now and has NEVER let me down...EVER... the two times I used it haha:D

I have mine since 2001. Its the toolkit for the motorbike.

Anyone have any experience with garmin fortrex 401?? Now don't just google it and give me a review!!!
    Anyone actually use it before either hiking/hillwalking or on the sly on a recce cse;-) haha
    If not anyone reccomend anoda gps that does the trick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

It's excellent; very customisable, easy to use and has a huge amount of configurable data fields (speed, distance, elevation, distance to/from, time to/from, etc etc etc). You'll definately get 10 hours non-stop out of it and days of intermittant use. Backlight is orange and it will strap easily onto a Steyr.

Edit - I sent the following as a PM to another member who was thinking of buying one
    It's a great bit of kit - small, light and battery friendly. (I reccommend Uniross Hybrio AAA's for it; rechargable batteries which retain their power over extended periods. I think 2500 mA/h are the highest rated). Good water- and dust-proofing as well as micro(mini?)-USB connection to computer for up/downloading data, routes etc. It appears rugged enough for the job and is quite intuitive to use.

The main "Trip Computer" is very user friendly and contains the 7 custom fields, in varying sizes as you scroll through. As an example, for nav I have it set as follows:

Page 1 - 4 x small fields: Stop time, Mov'n time, Tot Ascent, Trip Odometer

Page 2 - 2 x medium fields: Location (Irish Grid), Elevation

Page 3 - 1 x full screen field: Dist to next waypoint. For mil use, Lat/Long would be useful here or Speed for vehicular/mountainbike use

The strap plus extension mean you can have it on your wrist, upper arm, belt, rucksack straps or steering wheel if neccessary. For night use there is an on/off or 30-second-on orange backlight which illuminates the whole screen.

I still haven't figured out the best place to locate it while doing military stuff - it fits well on the bergan straps but you wouldn't want to leave it behind if you bug out. If you keep it on the webbing you end up putting the rucksack over it. Wrist, paracorded to smock pocket or on the rifle seem to be the best options. Storage isn't a problem though as its so damned small - about the size of a cereal bar folded in two so you can stuff it into any space.

It's a great bit of kit, for my hikes I just turn it on and leave it in the lid pocket of my pack. If things go to **** I have 4 spare batteries which should give me an extra 30 hours to figure out where I'm going
    f

and
    The compass can be set to display mils or degrees and you can choose it to point to True North, Grid North, Magnetic North or User Set so no problems there. I haven't used it for navigating yet as I've wanted to practice my compass as much as possible but I think it would be a pretty good backup. If you are following a preset route it's handy as a guide as it points your required direction at all times, or points to your next navpoint if you are following a series of waypoints. I have 'next distance' and 'bearing' as the preset fields, but others such as 'ETA' or 'final ETE' (time require to reach destination, based on average speed) could be handy as well.

I think it would be perfect for patrols, as long as you're aware of the light emissions. This, like most Garmins have what they call TracBack whereby you reset your track data, (either delete or save and clear) and head off on your patrol. When you get to the furthest point, say the CTR you can save your location as a waypoint and nav back as normal. If this isn't possible, just select TracBack and it will guide you back along the exact route you've taken. You can use either the compass and pointer or the map page to follow your route back to the start. It can get a bit complicated if you realise you're lost halfway back and try to activiated it as the Tracback will guide you to the CTR first - your current position is the endpoint, and it just guides you along your previous route. This can be overcome by going to the map page, finding the 'bread crumb' track you took in and heading straight for it, using a paper map to ensure you aren't going into a river or off a cliff. Once on the proper route, you should be able to tracback to start.

Another neat feature is the wireless comms. You can connect a bike cadence or (and??) a HR monitor for fitness training or you can be really gucchi and send route info to your scouts in the O group if they have the 401 also

Advertisement