Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Military Books

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭globemaster1986

Just watched 9th Company, a story about young recruits being sent to Afghanistan during the Soviet invasion, a great film.

I saw that recently enough also, a verry good film!

Picked up Apache Dawn the other day,still have to start it.

Apache Dawn is a brilliant read. Great detail in the book on all aspects of their time in Afghanistan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I just finished reading "Vipers in the Storm" by keith Rosenkranz. He was a USAF Captain flying the F-16 in the First Gulf War. A brilliant read for anyone thats interested!

P.S. Apologies if this one posted before;)

I've read that a few times, its especially interesting if you are into sim like Allied Force (Falcon 4), get info regarding F16, and modern jet combat over the gulf war etc. But I couldn't warm to it even after re-reading it. Not sure why.

BostonB wrote: »
    I've read that a few times, its especially interesting if you are into sim like Allied Force (Falcon 4), get info regarding F16, and modern jet combat over the gulf war etc. But I couldn't warm to it even after re-reading it. Not sure why.

I think its probably the author, its hard enough warm to him for some reason. Only thing I remember not liking was when he started getting all religious and god this and god that I started to :rolleyes: a small bit

Your probably right. Its still well worth reading regardless.

BostonB wrote: »
    Your probably right. Its still well worth reading regardless.

Absolutely. Its one of those ones thats a really really good read but at the same time you don't kind of form a bond with the author if that makes any sense at all!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 helenwalks65

Having read a couple of these books now, I am so grateful they were written. Studying Brookes, Owen and Sassoon while powerful had a kin of unreal quality to them, like it was from a by-gone age. These modern military accounts written by everyday soldiers really bring home both the horror of war, but also how some people crave for it.

Helen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Anyone read Task Force Helmand written buy Doug beattie? He also wrote An ordinary soldier. If an Ordinary Soldier is anything to go buy its for shore to be a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

elius wrote: »
    Anyone read Task Force Helmand written buy Doug beattie? He also wrote An ordinary soldier. If an Ordinary Soldier is anything to go buy its for shore to be a good read.

i did,great book!

punchdrunk wrote: »
    i did,great book!

So ill go pick it up the weekend so...Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I'm currently reading 'Fiasco' by Thomas E. Ricks. Have a read of the description as it's difficult to explain. Ricks, basically, discusses how the American leaders etc. have poorly went to war using bad decisions and so on. It's good but heavy reading. It's very interesting but getting to the end may be a struggle I fear!

• Advertisement

Four Weeks in May: The Loss of "HMS Coventry"
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/184354590X/ref=cm_cr_rev_prod_title

This should be a gripping story, but the book isn't. Seems to be more about the Captain than anything else, and hes just not that interesting. he annoying tbh. Where its not about the Captain, its an interesting story. Hopefully one that gets a better book in the future.

i did,great book!

Finished it yesturday Loved it to be honest...

Recently finished: The Influence of Air Power upon History.

Amazon link: here

In a word this book is superb. The author, Walter J. Boyle encompasses the history of flight from its early days of balloons up until the 2003 air assault on Iraq and covering everything in between. Boyle has extensive publications with regard to the air aspect of warfare and his skill shines through calling on a wide range of sources and excellent analytical skills.

It's pre-dominantly a military influence which makes it so much more interesting in my opinion over civilisan flight. The military side of things advanced on to airliners and civillian flight. The book's broken up into chapters which make for easy reading and enables the reader to view certain time periods at ease. WWII obviously is given much depth. Vietnam also receives views. WWI is also explored. Wherever airpower featured, it's noted.

Boyle's work is an eye-opener for the causal and experienced reader; he explores the hefty cost of bombing Germany, the weaknesses of the Japanese Air Forces/Luftwaffe, how Politicans on the homefront crippled American air efforts in Vietnam and how WWI had such a change on humanity among many others.

It's extremely compelling stuff that manages to capture the history of flight. Downsides are minimal; 2003 Iraqi invasion is only briefly covered as well as the 'small wars' of the 80's and 90's - Panama, Grenada and Somalia etc. However these are trivial to his overall piece of work which is a great volume on Air power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭D.McC

Anyone else read The Boys From Baghdad by Simon Lowe?

It's not as good as read as other of this type and I've come across pictures and events that others have claimed credit for! :(

One example is of an arrest of insurrgents which the author claimed was carried out by his co-workers, but other sources claim that a different companies employee's made the arrests. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭siblers

i did,great book!

Just started reading it yesterday, did about 60 pages, reminds me a small bit of the Sniper One book in terms of his attitude towards soldiering, his narrative style etc but it's a bit slower and more detailed, it's good so far but I'm not exactly riveted to read on.

I just finished Call sign Hades last week by Patrick Bury which was amazing and finished Sniper One by Dan Mills a couple weeks back, Sniper One was awesome as well, funny as **** at times, while being really exciting as well.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I'm currently reading 'Fiasco' by Thomas E. Ricks. Have a read of the description as it's difficult to explain. Ricks, basically, discusses how the American leaders etc. have poorly went to war using bad decisions and so on. It's good but heavy reading. It's very interesting but getting to the end may be a struggle I fear!

Its is indeed a struggle to read. I am currently about 3/4 through the follow up, "The Gamble" which deals with the troop surge and the tenure of Gen Dave Petraeus. I also picked up "Imperial life in the Emerald city" very easy to read and shocking viginettes of the bubble they lived in. It deals with the activities and attitudes of the CPA from 2003-2004 under Paul Bremer. The book is written by the Washington Post Baghdad correspondant.

Example: 6 days before the CPA handed over power $2.4 BILLION in notes was delivered to its Iraq. It has since been unaccounted for!
    Example: Bremer didn't want Mid East veterans as his advisors as he didn't want to be influenced by any preconceived notions!

Funny fact: The marine Lt. in Generation Kill actually attribute his decision to join up to a lecture given at his college by Thomas Ricks. Ricks argues that intoducing the military (OTC programs) to 3rd level insitutions will actually liberalise the military rather than militarise the universities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Extreme risk by Major Chris Hunter is an enthralling read. Only started it the other night and I'm half way though it already! Some of the funniest Squaddie one liners I've read in ages and some of the darkest images described in vivid detail. I'd Recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Currently reading thishttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-One-Disposal-Expert-Front/dp/0297860550/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1287418539&sr=8-1
    Red One: A bomb disposal expert on the front line by Cpt Kevin Ivison. Really good read, bomb disposal experts are insanely brave, can't imagine walking up to a roadside bomb, trying to manually disarm it while at any moment it can be remotely triggered. Insane stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

http://www.amazon.com/Combat-Morale-North-African-Campaign/dp/0521192706/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1291882892&sr=8-1-spell

new book coming out in January. I've read bits and pieces of it (my cousin is the author) and it seems like a good read.

Just thought i'd drop in a plug for it, and him!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

If I should die in a combat zone-Tim O' Brien, fantastic book on Vietnam
    Matterhorn- Karl Marlantes- ditto
    Ireland and the Crimean War-David Murphy-a really illuminating look at the Irish influence in this conflict.
    On Another Man's Wound-Ernie O' Malley
    Siegfried Sasson- The War Poems-eye opening
    Homage to Catalonia-George Orwell. Typical Orwell i.e. genius look at the Spanish Civil War.
    My American Journey- Colin Powell
    F.N.G-Donald Bodey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

Here is the latest relating to the Defence Forces, written by an American chap.
    zn2dn9.jpg AFV’s in Irish Service since 1922.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭BuckJamesRogers

Just finished reading Barefoot Soldier by Johnson Beharry VC. Great read, written in the Grenadian colloquialisms too which makes for good reading. Amazing story of courage too!

9780751538793.JPG?hei=200&wid=160&op_sharpen=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Finished reading "Bridge Of Spies" excellent Cold War read. About Cold War Spies and Gary Powers U2 fateful flight over Soviet Russia.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bridge-Spies-Giles-Whittell/dp/0857201638/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305149071&sr=8-1

At the moment reading "The Dead Hand", Reagan, Gorbachev and the Untold Story of the Cold War Arms Race

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dead-Hand-Reagan-Gorbachev-Untold/dp/184831230X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305149117&sr=1-1

The Bomber War

?SWBMDcxOTU1NjM3Ng==

This is a remarkable book. Written by Robin Neillands and the topic of the Allies' bombing effort on Germany during the Second World War. It's an excellent read covering a deeply interesting and often hidden area of the war. Neillands delves into the history of the Bomber Dream, the first tactical and strategic bombing affairs, the RAF and USAAF history and coming towards the war it's broken into different aspects.

It's an accessible account, richly informative, and very readable yet being scholarly at the same time - something that's difficult to do. His source base is fantastic and I'm envious of what he had at his disposal. Made up of mostly oral histories from both sides the interviews are informative, frank and show ordinary men doing their jobs.

Interesting areas are covered, the 8th Air Force's role, the great raids: the bombing of Schweinfurt, Hamburg, Dresden, Ploesti, and the RAF use of Area Bombing, and a discussion on Arthur Harris. These are all very good, Dresden is a terrific read and seeing how the Allied air forces blossomed into the mighty force it was is good reading

It isn't all plain sailing though. Neilllands gets bogged down in too much description of navigational aides and vindicating Harris and there isn't enough attention focused on the bombers themselves. It becomes a little turgid to read sometimes and the amount of information the brain needs to process it can slow the reading. However in the larger scale of things these are petty comments.

A very recommended read but note that you must have some element of an interest in it to really appreciate it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bomber-War-Arthur-Offensive-1939-1945/dp/0719556376/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305150350&sr=8-1

(Note: the buy used the seller is requesting £100 for new!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

siblers wrote: »
    Just started reading it yesterday, did about 60 pages, reminds me a small bit of the Sniper One book in terms of his attitude towards soldiering, his narrative style etc but it's a bit slower and more detailed, it's good so far but I'm not exactly riveted to read on.

I just finished Call sign Hades last week by Patrick Bury which was amazing and finished Sniper One by Dan Mills a couple weeks back, Sniper One was awesome as well, funny as **** at times, while being really exciting as well.

enjoyed call sign hades as well. plenty of action and well written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

"Hidden Soldier" by Padraig O'Keefe. Some book. Couldnt put it down. Finished reading it over a month ago and my life has felt empty since :D
    That lad had balls on him like a Bengali Tiger.

Been reading "Bullet Magnet" the last month. Half way through it. Not really enjoying it at all. Going to try finish it anyway and see if something worth reading happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

'Putin and the Rise of Russia'

51IQ3gSP1KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Putin-Rise-Russia-Michael-Stuermer/dp/1605981311/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1308590087&sr=8-8

(different cover in Ireland). Interesting to note his father fought at Leningrad in a very-high casualty rate group. His posting in the KGB in (then) East German Dresden and business contacts and rise to power are also fascinating. The general basic concensus of this book was that Putin was always anti-corruption, and an extremely hard worker. No one actually liked him and he did not kow-tow to anyone, but basically no one hated him that much either, hence he was the candidate everyone could live with.

Also . .. .
    One Soldier's War in Chechnya

http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Soldiers-Chechnya-Arkady-Babchenko/dp/1846270391
    51joM7ENOwL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Chechnyan wars from the point of view of a Russian soldier. Very gritty with some horrific anecdotes (particularly about Russian mothers getting on trains to go this this region looking for their missing sons) and stories about conditions, equipment, treatment and experiences and so on of the Russian soldier.

Morlar wrote: »
    'Putin and the Rise of Russia'

(different cover in Ireland). Interesting to note his father fought at Leningrad in a very-high casualty rate group. His posting in the KGB in (then) East German Dresden and business contacts and rise to power are also fascinating. The general basic concensus of this book was that Putin was always anti-corruption, and an extremely hard worker. No one actually liked him and he did not kow-tow to anyone, but basically no one hated him that much either, hence he was the candidate everyone could live with.

Putin's a fascinating character in my opinion. I do admire him for his help with Russia in getting them out of Russia's free-fall post-Yelstin. He was an extremely hard worker indeed and recognised what needed to be done. Have you read Richard Sakwa's effort? It's quite decent but heavy going at places. Using it for college I only had the chance to skim over.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Putin-Russias-Choice-Richard-Sakwa/dp/0415407664/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308605075&sr=1-7

Also . .. .

51joM7ENOwL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Is this recommended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Putin's a fascinating character in my opinion. I do admire him for his help with Russia in getting them out of Russia's free-fall post-Yelstin. He was an extremely hard worker indeed and recognised what needed to be done. Have you read Richard Sakwa's effort? It's quite decent but heavy going at places. Using it for college I only had the chance to skim over.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Putin-Russias-Choice-Richard-Sakwa/dp/0415407664/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308605075&sr=1-7

Also . .. .

Is this recommended?

Completely agree Putin has done an awful lot of good for Russia and yes he is a fascinating character imo. Haven't read the Sakwa one so may check it out.

The Arkady Babchenko one is recommended, it's a nitty gritty book. Not much for strategic overviews or long term outlook or any of that, it is basically one guy and what he saw on his various tours and how it affected him and the people around him. I found some of the unreported details and anecdotal information pretty mindblowing. Some parts of it reminded me of World War two soldiers histories, actually some parts of it kind of reminded me of the 'Forgotten Soldier'. The impression you are left with is that the author wrote a very honest book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭BuckJamesRogers

Just finished "Desert of Death" by Leo Docherty. Not recommended by me anyway...it's mostly just him going to A/stan with noble ideas about reforming the country and local government and then finding out that there is no real plan to reform the country (or wasn't when he went there)

Advertisement