Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Military Books

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

I've been resisting the urge to pick up Ed Macy's new one. I eventually did in desperation in Cork Airport the other day, I expected a re-run of his first book but was pleasently surprised to find a whole new insight into his time flying.

A bit of a lippy git, but what would you expect from an ex Para!! Have to say, I'm devouring this book..it reads so easily..its a credit to him. The only issue I had with it so far was his " I know I'm right bvll****" but it seems in most of the cases he was....according to himself! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

iceage wrote: »
    I've been resisting the urge to pick up Ed Macy's new one. I eventually did in desperation in Cork Airport the other day, I expected a re-run of his first book but was pleasently surprised to find a whole new insight into his time flying.

A bit of a lippy git, but what would you expect from an ex Para!! Have to say, I'm devouring this book..it reads so easily..its a credit to him. The only issue I had with it so far was his " I know I'm right bvll****" but it seems in most of the cases he was....according to himself! :)

Never knew he had a new book out,whats it called?

Picked up Apache Dawn the other day,still have to start it. Iam currently reading a book on a Gaurdian Newspaper journalists move to Rural Donegal!I needed a change from the military books for awhile and I couldent have asked for a more extreme change:D

Hellfire is the title. about his work up for the Apache. Seems he saw it coming and decided he was gonna fly one of these beasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jake59

Dunno if it has been mentioned here but read Attack State Red..... well worth it...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Just watched 9th Company, a story about young recruits being sent to Afghanistan during the Soviet invasion, a great film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Just watched 9th Company, a story about young recruits being sent to Afghanistan during the Soviet invasion, a great film.

Ok movie. I enjoyed it.

Reading Enigma: The Battle for the Code at the moment (Hugh Sebag-Montefiore) Very interesting book. Its about all the events, rather than just the code breaking that are part of the story. Goes into the code breaking a good bit too.

The fictional movie based around the Enigma is also a good movie. But its not an action movie. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enigma_(2001_film).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭DeCoR18

Got Where Men Win Glory by Jon krakauer for Christmas. Thought it was a great book.

Its about Pat Tillman a professional NFL player who Joined the army rangers after 9/11 and was tragically killed by friendly fire in Afganistan and the subsequent cover up by the army. Author comes on pretty strong with his political views but not enough to spoil it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

For those of you who enjoyed Chickenhawk you will definetly enjoy To the limit by Tom A Johnson..

its the same style of writing and feels a better read too..

i picked up my copy in the states though should be available here or online

Just finished HellFire by Ed Macy. Decent book, not as good as Apache but good read nonetheless.

That looks good stag39. Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Guns for Hire: The Inside Story of Freelance Soldiering by Tony Geraghty.

Consdering the rise in the popularity of PMC/PSC this is a must read. Will certainly break down the illusion most people are under of said organisations and give you a insight into how they are currently being used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭BuckJamesRogers

Just finished HelFire too, enjoyed it, very easy book to read!

Also finished a book called House to House by former StaffSgt David Bellavia, about US army in Fallujah, its a tough one to read but great book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭Heckler

Just read Hellfire too. Thought it was very good. One question thats being bugging me, a couple of times he mentions, and I'm paraphrasing, re-aligning the rockets in the pods to make them more accurate (as he knew he'd be firing close to friendly troops) and if he was caught doing this he'd be more than likely drummed out of the air corp.

Why would this be the case ? Surely more accurate firepower=better firepower ?

Also thumbs up to sniper one, operation certain death, the forgotten soldier. Also all of Stephen Ambroses stuff (band of brothers, citizen soldier etc) and Anthony Beevors books. Meh to lone survivor. Bit too Hell Ya Go America for me. Gotta admire the dedication and bravery though.

Heckler wrote: »
    Just read Hellfire too. Thought it was very good. One question thats being bugging me, a couple of times he mentions, and I'm paraphrasing, re-aligning the rockets in the pods to make them more accurate (as he knew he'd be firing close to friendly troops) and if he was caught doing this he'd be more than likely drummed out of the air corp.

Why would this be the case ? Surely more accurate firepower=better firepower ?

i think its cause he's fiddling with lethal equipment thats to be fired close to friendlies. Sure, hes aligning them but its not a SOP (standard operating procedure) so if he gets it wrong, its just the same as the missiles firing banty in the first place. He knows he'll get it spot on every time but if everyone starts doing it unofficially, it only takes one to get it wrong and cause a cock up of monumental size!

thats just what i think though, i am open for correction

Might be because its an aircraft, it might be under different regulations than regular military equipment. Officially a crew member might not be qualified or certified to make any adjustments like that. If people started doing it themselves it would be chaos.

I'm also guessing.

BostonB wrote: »
    Might be because its an aircraft, it might be under different regulations than regular military equipment. Officially a crew member might not be qualified or certified to make any adjustments like that. If people started doing it themselves it would be chaos.

I'm also guessing.

i dont think any of the arming team or fitting team in the Stan (at the time, it may have changed) were allowed to make any changes to it as it was such a new bit of kit and the MoD didnt want any f-ups involving it, as he says in the book, it was seen as a white elephant due to its cost

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rookie09

not so much a gung-ho military book 'Stakeknife' but a very interesting read on the British force research unit and its agents operating inside the IRA on both sides of the border of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

D-Day by Antony Beevor is available in hard back for just €12 from Waterstones. I saw it in Waterstones, Jervis Centre, Dublin. I think it's an excellent read, easy to follow story of D-Day up to the Liberation of Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Artur.PL

I'm not sure about translation to english but if you can find it it is really interesting.
    Mark Solonin, June 22 (The Cask and the Hoops)
    or,
    At the Airfields that Seemed to Be Asleep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭air assault

If your interested in the reading up on the day to day life in the French Foreign Legion, theres a book called LIFE IN THE FRENCH FOREIGN LEGION.

Its written by Evan McGorman. A canadian who served in the Legion in the early 90's i think. I got it a while ago and its the only book i could not put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭cannonball

Another big thumbs up for Chickenhawk by Robert Mason here.

The Last Valley by Martin Windrow is also very good and gives a thorough account of the French defeat at Dien Bien Phu.

Finally on the Vietnam theme - I can't recommend Tiger Force by Michael Sallah & Mitch Weiss. Although it's an important piece about American atrocities in the Nam, it's just not very well written (in my opinion), even though the authors won a Pulitzer prize. The amount of second hand copies I saw in Charlie Burns book store in Galway, would indicate that others would agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭Heckler

Task Force Black by Mark Urban. About the SAS in Iraq. Meh, bit dry to be honest. I guess the political machinations behind all the special forces operations is something I never really thought about so its kind of interesting that way but not the "explosive" and "riveting" story I was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Riderlad

Immediate Action and Seven Troop by Andy Mc Nab are great first hand accounts of military life which are very easy reads love them theyr'e very good to re-read. Highly recommend

last post just rang a bell with me. I was killing time in an Easons bout a month ago and came across a short story book by same said author supposedly a fact/fiction account of lads in Afghanistan. A really short story book, ideal for a short trip/flight type of thing anywhy, it was really about PTSD as you'll quickly realise if you manage to find it. Fact or fiction..I couldn't put it down. For the life of me I can't think of the name of it!!

I was in Easons the other day as well,seen a book about a journalist embedded with American troops in Afghanistan,but like you I cant remember for the life of me what it is called!

Think it was called The Brave Soldiers or something........

House to House by David Bellavia is an excellent read, former SGT in the US army, all about the Army's view of the assault on Fallujah, as opposed to the Marines, who are most famous for the attack. good read anyway. Not sure if thats been posted on here already...

EDIT: just saw it has been posted already...by me!! DOH!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

EDIT: just saw it has been posted already...by me!! DOH!! :D

Epic Fail!

Just starting to read Task force helmand by Doug Beattie MC. a follow on of An ordinary soldier..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭D.McC

Stev_o wrote: »
    Guns for Hire: The Inside Story of Freelance Soldiering by Tony Geraghty.

Consdering the rise in the popularity of PMC/PSC this is a must read. Will certainly break down the illusion most people are under of said organisations and give you a insight into how they are currently being used.

If you liked that, try PMC.INC forget who wrote it, but its a real eye opener.

Oh don't forget might be the daddy of all the books in this genre, Soldier I

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Recently read:

'The Iraq War' by John Keegan.
    This one is a mystery to me. It offers an excellent narrative account and is a good overview of the 2003 campaign in Iraq. It covers Saddam, his wars, the crisis of 2003 and the war itself. Unit details, commanders etc. are all well explained. Here's the problem imo, the book ends quickly. It seems that the ending was rushed. The book ends suddenly discussing the death of Dr. Kelly a british scientist involved in the WMD affair - tbh I don't know much of it, it was a confusing aspect. Dr. Kelly's death and involement seems very irrelevant to the that stage of book.
    However it's a great overview and Keegan does well in explaining the war. There are some great appendix(es) in the book too. Will probably use it for research purposes if neccessary. Reccommended.

Gneration Kill by Evan Wright.
    A Rolling Stones writer's account of when he spent two months embedded with Bravo platoon in Marine Recon in Iraq, 2003. I really enjoyed this. Wright offers a perspective which reads like he's one of the Marines. He offers great insights into who the soldiers are and gets their camaderie across - an essential point of the book. It's really readable and flows well. Wright discusses the Marines blistering speed into Iraq as well as the severe incompentences of their commanders.
    Some parts of the book like the indiscriminate killing of people will put some off as well as the gratious violence and swearing but these are expected and Wright tells the story as it should be. Worth a look.

Generation Kill by Evan Wright.
    A Rolling Stones writer's account of when he spent two months embedded with Bravo platoon in Marine Recon in Iraq, 2003. I really enjoyed this. Wright offers a perspective which reads like he's one of the Marines. He offers great insights into who the soldiers are and gets their camaderie across - an essential point of the book. It's really readable and flows well. Wright discusses the Marines blistering speed into Iraq as well as the severe incompentences of their commanders.
    Some parts of the book like the indiscriminate killing of people will put some off as well as the gratious violence and swearing but these are expected and Wright tells the story as it should be. Worth a look.

+1 for this,fantastic read,I prefer it to the HBO mini-series too,which was also excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭globemaster1986

I just finished reading "Vipers in the Storm" by keith Rosenkranz. He was a USAF Captain flying the F-16 in the First Gulf War. A brilliant read for anyone thats interested!

P.S. Apologies if this one posted before;)

Advertisement