Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018-2019 Champions Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

finbarrk wrote: »
    That's a terrible choice of seats that are available to purchase for the Edinburgh match using the Munster Supporters link. They must be trying to sell the corners first.

They're not great. Thought there has to be allocation in each price category but maybe there still is. Guess risk with the general sale is you'd be in with Edinburgh fans so at least with MRSC ones should at least be with Munster fans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

General sale tomorrow at 10.00am.

Got a few Platinum tickets there now on the general sale. The West Stand isn't for sale.

Press release out from EPCR here about semi-final venues.

''Regarding the current season, the suitability of BT Murrayfield as a venue should Edinburgh Rugby and Glasgow Warriors be scheduled to meet in Semi-final 1 of the Heineken Champions Cup will be assessed, while the 32,000-capacity Paris La Défense Arena will be considered along with other stadiums in France should Racing 92 qualify for Semi-final 2 on the weekend of 20/21 April.''

Guess for Leinster it would be Aviva anyways. Presumably Munster can't use Thomond and Ulster Kingspan so Aviva too.

Not sure it clears up much because venues still to be announced. Think it's usually day before qf weekend.

https://www.epcrugby.com/2019/02/13/heineken-champions-cup-semi-final-venues/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Well that's a big announcement in the grand scheme of things. They've basically just stated that Racing are likely to be allowed play the semi final at home if they qualify.

Leinster cannot have too many complaints given their situation regarding the Aviva but this is another leap forward. If a team is rich enough to own a good quality statium/ground, they'll potentially be allowed keep their semi final in that venue.

I would be far, far less optimistic about Leinster winning a semi final there now than I would have been if the game was elsewhere.

Overall, the statement sounds like it's trying to justify the possible move rather than just announce it:
    Following a recent meeting, the EPCR Board has decided to use its full discretion in selecting appropriate venues for Heineken Champions Cup semi-finals matches.

With key elements such as stadium capacity, commercial viability, operational suitability and location remaining paramount for the high-profile matches, EPCR will continue to designate the venues in conjunction with the recommendations of its stakeholders.

As a number of clubs now own or control premium venues which befit the status of a Heineken Champions Cup semi-final, EPCR will also consider the possibility of staging a semi-final at a home stadium of a qualified club.

Regarding the current season, the suitability of BT Murrayfield as a venue should Edinburgh Rugby and Glasgow Warriors be scheduled to meet in Semi-final 1 of the Heineken Champions Cup will be assessed, while the 32,000-capacity Paris La Défense Arena will be considered along with other stadiums in France should Racing 92 qualify for Semi-final 2 on the weekend of 20/21 April.

This use of full discretion in selecting Heineken Champions Cup semi-final venues does not require any change to the governing rules and regulations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Buer wrote: »
    Well that's a big announcement in the grand scheme of things. They've basically just stated that Racing are likely to be allowed play the semi final at home if they qualify.
    As a number of clubs now own or control premium venues which befit the status of a Heineken Champions Cup semi-final, EPCR will also consider the possibility of staging a semi-final at a home stadium of a qualified club.

yep, the no home stadium rule now out the window, along with the previous requirement of 40,000 capacity

Buer wrote: »

Leinster cannot have too many complaints given their situation regarding the Aviva but this is another leap forward. If a team is rich enough to own a good quality statium/ground, they'll potentially be allowed keep their semi final in that venue.

I would be far, far less optimistic about Leinster winning a semi final there now than I would have been if the game was elsewhere.

Overall, the statement sounds like it's trying to justify the possible move rather than just announce it:

Yeah I thought they were fudging it a bit by saying ''32,000-capacity Paris La Défense Arena will be considered along with other stadiums in France''.

They don't mention capacity of Murrayfield (maybe not other options there) but find it interesting they do for La Defense, as if trying to justify having it there because of its capacity. Unless I'm reading too much.

Why only mention of those specific stadium then though? Would Munster have to use Aviva over Thomond Park if Racing can use La Defense?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Eod100 wrote: »
    Yeah I thought they were fudging it a bit by saying ''32,000-capacity Paris La Défense Arena will be considered along with other stadiums in France''.

They don't mention capacity of Murrayfield (maybe not other options there) but find it interesting they do for La Defense, as if trying to justify having it there because of its capacity. Unless I'm reading too much.

Why only mention of those specific stadium then though? Would Munster have to use Aviva over Thomond Park if Racing can use La Defense?

EPCR pick the venue and they know full well that the Aviva will fill so they would have no interest in a semi in Thomond.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

West stand tickets in Murrayfield on sale now

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

They've had to throw their own rule book out the window after allowing Leinster use a non-neutral stadium for home semi-finals. I imagine the good folks at Racing may have raised this with EPCR Board.

• Advertisement

Flincher wrote: »
    They've had to throw their own rule book out the window after allowing Leinster use a non-neutral stadium for home semi-finals. I imagine the good folks at Racing may have raised this with EPCR Board.

Suppose issue is where else would they use bar Aviva? Technically RDS is home ground too. Whereas La Defense is Racing's only home ground but they may not have seen nuance alright! Same with Murrayfield but could be case of where else you would use too, specifically when Glasgow would be playing too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Refs for quarters announced
    Edinburgh/Munster - Pascal Gauzere
    Saracens/Glasgow - Nigel Owens
    Leinster/Ulster - Romain Poite
    Racing/Toulouse - Luke Pearce

Refs for quarters announced
    Edinburgh/Munster - Pascal Gauzere
    Saracens/Glasgow - Nigel Owens
    Leinster/Ulster - Romain Poite
    Racing/Toulouse - Luke Pearce

Garces for semi with winner of Munster qf too. Barnes for semi with winner of Leinster qf.

so looks like

Barnes for Final unless Sarries in it

Sarries vs French Team - Owens

Sarries vs anyone else Garces

Some decent tickets released earlier yesterday for the Edinburgh game. I can’t understand why they didn’t release them first. And let them charge a premium price, if people were willing to pay at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Some decent tickets released earlier yesterday for the Edinburgh game. I can’t understand why they didn’t release them first. And let them charge a premium price, if people were willing to pay at the time.

They wanted to sell east first, because that's where the tv cameras face
    after that it's just sell the stadium as it goes..
    I imagine they were anxious about the attendance, and appearances matter first

in fairness it is quite common for a large stadium where they are not 100% about attendance

Croker for example often opens particular stands or maybe the lower tier only first etc until full

Think they were returns. Not sure if it was Munster because allocation wasn't being sold directly from Munster, was sold through Edinburgh site. Unless allocation for Munster wasn't fully sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I got an email from the SRU saying it was returns from ECPR and sponsors

Boscoirl wrote: »
    I got an email from the SRU saying it was returns from ECPR and sponsors

Ah that makes sense. Are you on their mailing list yeah? Know how many they have sold so far?

• Advertisement

I have a spare ticket for Edinburgh v Munster. It’s a good seat. Section E13, row O. £30.

Potential Champions Cup semi-final venues announced.

Heineken Champions Cup semi-finals – 20/21 April

Semi-final 1: if Saracens v Edinburgh Rugby – Ricoh Arena (Coventry)

Semi-final 1: if Saracens v Munster Rugby – Ricoh Arena (Coventry)

Semi-final 1: if Edinburgh Rugby v Glasgow Warriors – BT Murrayfield (Edinburgh)

Semi-final 1: if Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors – Aviva Stadium (Dublin)

Semi-final 2: if Racing 92 v Leinster Rugby – Paris La Défense Arena

Semi-final 2: if Racing 92 v Ulster Rugby – Paris La Défense Arena

Semi-final 2: if Leinster Rugby v Toulouse – Aviva Stadium (Dublin)

Semi-final 2: if Ulster Rugby v Toulouse – Aviva Stadium (Dublin)

https://www.epcrugby.com/2019/03/14/heineken-champions-cup-semi-final-venues-announced/?fbclid=IwAR2KagfpQQ1h4U7n9goo5QAuZgyFc46gywoEvwI9-PBmas4zu4_DxOeh2Ao

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

You've got to be optimistic if you're a Leinster or Ulster supporter, Toulouse have beaten Racing 92 twice already this season in the Top 14, so it's a Home semi-final for Leinster if they can get past Ulster, even in the unlikely event of Ulster winning a match in the Aviva would be made into a home game by the supporters travelling south. I expect Toulouse to win their quarter final meaning a Aviva sem-final whatever happens

Shag it. I thought it would have been Twickenham if it was Saracens v Munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Ghiraldini has ruptured his cruciate. That's a big blow for Toulouse since Marchand is already out for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Ghiraldini has ruptured his cruciate. That's a big blow for Toulouse since Marchand is already out for the season.

Poor bloke. He looked like a player who knew he wasn't going to his last RWC.

Anyone know will more tickets for the final go on sale after the quarter-finals?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Anyone know will more tickets for the final go on sale after the quarter-finals?

Both of the teams are given a large allocation and I'm sure there will also be a small amount of returns/tickets held back for general sale.

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote: »
    Both of the teams are given a large allocation and I'm sure there will also be a small amount of returns/tickets held back for general sale.

Ah cheers, yeah knew about the 2 finalists getting allocation but was wondering would any get released between now and then say..

Advertisement