Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funding GEM

• 18-03-2019 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi! I am interested in going back and doing gem medicine. However the financial implications are a massive factor for me. I am wondering how did people manage their financing (loans available) and I suppose how much would you except to earn in your intern/sho years (including OT)

any other tips appreciated ☺️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Donaldhastrul

gawdd wrote: »
    Hi! I am interested in going back and doing gem medicine. However the financial implications are a massive factor for me. I am wondering how did people manage their financing (loans available) and I suppose how much would you except to earn in your intern/sho years (including OT)

any other tips appreciated ☺️

Financing is a mix of loan / personal savings. So if you're considering it try save as much as you can and then take a loan via the BOI scheme that Rcsi do or UCD depending where you're going.

Regards to how much to earn during intern/sho years it depends, my brother earned around 55k after taxes including OT of course during intern year and then subsequently in the 55-80k during sho but that included 70 hour weeks sometimes more

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭RoamingDoc

earned around 55k after taxes including OT of course during intern year and then subsequently in the 55-80k during sho but that included 70 hour weeks sometimes more

Also just to note that a lot of the money you earn as a junior doctor is spent on courses and exams etc. to allow you to progress upwards along the career path.

Repaying the medical degree is obviously important but there will be ongoing expenditure required beyond the degree itself (which is really only good for getting registered and finding an intern spot).

Advertisement