Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Some Wrestling News & Rumours 2019 Thread ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i wonder if we all actually liked the product what the stock would be at. $93 dollars is healthy for vinnie macs pockets

https://www.google.com/search?q=wwe+stock&rlz=1C1GCEA_enIE831IE831&oq=wwe+stock&aqs=chrome..69i57.3418j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Registered Users Posts: 21,334 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

According to Meltzer, AJ Styles will sign a new deal with WWE or possibly has already. His current contract is up in April.

Seems like a good decision, he’s a top guy now in WWE so the lure of AEW isn’t as strong for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I hope he got that reduced schedule he was after, he doesn't strike me as someone who's too money driven so I hope he got the caveat of reduced schedule rather than just a bumper wage increase if it sees him burn out over the next couple years

• Registered Users Posts: 21,334 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I hope he got that reduced schedule he was after, he doesn't strike me as someone who's too money driven so I hope he got the caveat of reduced schedule rather than just a bumper wage increase if it sees him burn out over the next couple years

As mentioned by someone here previously, the Orton schedule would suit him perfectly. Even a lighter schedule than that could work, it’s easy to take for granted how good he really is. A few big programmes a year building up to the major PPVs would be ideal from a fan’s perspective IMO. Certainly did HBK no harm in the latter stages of his career, every match of his seemed like a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

It’s official now love the way he said it

https://twitter.com/ajstylesorg/status/1107725115599540225?s=21

• Advertisement

I really hope we can see him have all the dream matches left in WWE

Rollins, McIntyre, Zayn and all the others he hasn't had much time with

Reigns, Lesnar and Balor again would be very interesting too

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So they've gone and shortened Mustafa Ali's name to Ali. It's seriously such a weird hang-up they have. Odd as fuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Omackeral wrote: »
    So they've gone and shortened Mustafa Ali's name to Ali. It's seriously such a weird hang-up they have. Odd as fuck.

When have they got it wrong though, in fairness? None of us are lamenting Antonio Cesaro, Big E Langston etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

leggo wrote: »
    When have they got it wrong though, in fairness? None of us are lamenting Antonio Cesaro, Big E Langston etc.

I miss Andrade Cien Almas.

They're at least sort of memorable on their own, the ones you've named

Andrade instead of his full name is awful, as is Ali

Neither of those will come up as the WWE guys in the first few results or pages in google, other shortenings such as Rusev are at least unique enough names

Elias Samson is another needless shortening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

They're at least sort of memorable on their own, the ones you've named

Andrade instead of his full name is awful, as is Ali

Neither of those will come up as the WWE guys in the first few results or pages in google, other shortenings such as Rusev are at least unique enough names

Elias Samson is another needless shortening

WWE doesn’t stand for Walk With Elias Samson though?

The problems people have are the ones that are new and they’re not used to. The ones people like are the ones that we’re used to. People moaned about literally every single one you cited as a good example too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

leggo wrote:

Mustafa Ali suits a Muslim character more than Ali does. You wouldn't have to guess twice hearing his name, just Ali sounds like he's a 2005 Diva.
    Plus when people hear the word Ali they ain't thinking about anyone bar 1 guy

The problems people have are the ones that are new and they’re not used to. The ones people like are the ones that we’re used to. People moaned about literally every single one you cited as a good example too.

Just because we're used to them doesn't mean dropping them is a poor decision or pointless

Jericho instead of Chris Jericho, Austin instead of Steve Austin, still distintive names but the sort of decision WWE of today would make with the late 90s roster

It's just utterly pointless

The only one I'd want to see is Umaga's old manager, Armando Alejandro Estrrrrrrrrrada changed to any of the 3, he's managing a nephew of Umaga's so who knows we could see Armando soon

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

ERG89 wrote: »
    Mustafa Ali suits a Muslim character more than Ali does. You wouldn't have to guess twice hearing his name, just Ali sounds like he's a 2005 Diva.

Or a modern Knockout
    Allie.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Looking forward to Undisputed Era being called up and hearing "Adam Baybay!"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I hope they rehire Alberto Del Rio and just call him Rio.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They'd have to go by their last names so their logo still makes sense. "Coming to the ring being accompanied by Fish, Strong and O'Reilly, Cole". Get in position, hands up and wait a beat before saying "Cole baybay". This is followed by the newly singularly named Michael on commentary so there's no confusion

J. Marston wrote:
    Looking forward to Undisputed Era being called up and hearing "Adam Baybay!"

It's Adam as we already have a Cole, Rod as he's too small to be named Strong, Bob as we already got Lashley and Vince hates the smell of fish & Kylie as Vince doesn't like guys with Irish sounding surnames except Hogan but thinks Kyle isn't menacing enough.

Loughc wrote:
    I hope they rehire Alberto Del Rio and just call him Rio.

I want Kevin Nash on commentary to sing Duran Duran if that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

I've always felt Dave Batista's career was ruined losing his first name. :rolleyes:

The phenomenon of fans online moaning about wrestlers losing half their name is one of those things that you know if you work in WWE, you cite as proof that your fans will literally complain about anything, which in turns allows you rationalise legitimate complaints that are made.

As a well known grappler once said, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR NAME IS!

• Advertisement

I don't really get why they do it though. It's not as if you have to them call the full name every time you refer to them. You can interchangeably use the names. Call him Mustafa Ali initially and then during the match say things like "Ali with a quick counter" and then back to "a valiant effort by Mustafa Ali." You don't have to use the full name each and every time. I think people are more bemused by the whole phenomenon rather than enraged about it. It's just kind of odd.

I think it's a mixture of both TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Omackeral wrote: »
    I don't really get why they do it though. It's not as if you have to them call the full name every time you refer to them. You can interchangeably use the names. Call him Mustafa Ali initially and then during the match say things like "Ali with a quick counter" and then back to "a valiant effort by Mustafa Ali." You don't have to use the full name each and every time. I think people are more bemused by the whole phenomenon rather than enraged about it. It's just kind of odd.

Pronouns Pal...

We know Vince has a hatred for pronouns. Could feed into this perhaps? He doesn't want him, her, it etc, so he shortens the name to make it easier for commentary, sound better when said out etc.

That is actually very insightful Gerry. JR has often talked about Vince demanding he use a name rather than a pronoun.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Does that mean next time he comes to the ring the announcer will just say "the Owner of WWE Vince?"

His gimmick name is 'Mr McMahon'. Has been for years.

Cain had been at the PC this year and has talked about wanting to go into wrestling.

I am very much on the fence on this. On the one hand, I have always enjoyed guys who can incorporate legitimate combat - whether that be amateur wrestling like Kurt, or MMA stuff like Brock or Samoa Joe - into pro wrestling. On the other hand, Cain is not a strong personality, has no experience in wrestling, and has only fought about 9 times in the last decade because he is so injury prone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Wonder will Brock be crapping himself

• Advertisement

Wonder will Brock be crapping himself

Brock wins a gruelling match. Lights go out. Organ screeches.

''THAT'S GOTTA BE CAIN!''

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement