Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

PB cwi bull calf out of one of my abi cows. She calf’s every feb for the last six years. She is as quite as a mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    PB cwi bull calf out of one of my abi cows. She calf’s every feb for the last six years. She is as quite as a mouse.

Lovely outfit & great to be outside
    What the granddad off?

Have a good milky CH due end of next month, hopefully a heifer

Lovely outfit & great to be outside
    What the granddad off?

Have a good milky CH due end of next month, hopefully a heifer

Lino and Nestor on the dam side, abi is a very underrated bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Belted Galloway cattle in the Burren National park near Mullaghmore mountain. Anyone know what breed the last cow is?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Belted Galloway cattle in teh Burren National park near Mullaghmore mountain. Anyone know what breed the last cow is?

Irish Moiled?

• Advertisement

Irish Moiled?

Thats what I was thinking. I thought they had a bit more red in them.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭tanko

A Shorthorn maybe.

I'd have thought so too, usually have a white stripe along the back bone and mostly red across the ribs. The head and red mottling seem similar to a Moiled though. There a breed I'd like to help preserve although prices for pedigrees seem quite high.

Those belted galloway cattle are smashing looking animals. If the jeep was any nearer I would have grabbed that calf.:D He was like a little teddy bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Belted Galloway cattle in teh Burren National park near Mullaghmore mountain. Anyone know what breed the last cow is?
    I reckon she is a Droimeann.
    https://www.thatsfarming.com/news/droimeann-aug-2018

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

She's a shorthorn. Know the fella that owns her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭High bike

Look at the coats an them compared with housed cattle

She's a shorthorn. Know the fella that owns her.
    I'd feeling you might know. Is it a case of 'Cowboys Ted' ? :rolleyes:

I'd feeling you might know. Is it a case of 'Cowboys Ted' ? :rolleyes:

Down with that sort of thing.

High bike wrote: »
    Look at the coats an them compared with housed cattle

If only there was a bit of weight in hair.

If only there was a bit of weight in hair.
    you can’t beat the outwintering if the conditions are right, those cattle have a good head start on housed stock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Especially this year. Never had such comfort with cattle outside

Especially this year. Never had such comfort with cattle outside
    same as that had weanlings on kale and they were happy out expect them to fly when they get grass

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ufr heifer out of cwi cow. 7 days early but bigger than the ch4160 calf that was on time
    474300.jpg

Ufr heifer out of cwi cow. 7 days early but bigger than the ch4160 calf that was on time
    474300.jpg
    great back end on her

• Advertisement

High bike wrote: »
    great back end on her

Ya especially out of a limx fr cow.

Should be plenty milk so to make her srse even bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Bejaysus Leitrim. You're looking well :D

zvrcuFbh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

What do you make of CH4160? Will you use him again?

RobinBanks wrote: »
    What do you make of CH4160? Will you use him again?

Maybe. Easy calved. Time will tell. Grand for a 2nd calver or a big maiden. People use him on pedigree maidens.

June bull has hit a bit of thrive now, still needs to fill out over the ribs & back though.

Xwn32zXl.jpg

Spring is in the air, the big fella roaring at the cows this evening :D

4bAeAhfl.jpg

Handy tip for milking sucklers. Heard of this at the suckler demo at Ennis Mart. This cow would break your hand if you went near her.
    Killed two birds with one stone today and paired one of her feet too. She's just calved a few days and too much milk for the calf. Teats were too full for him to drink, so milked her out. She didn't budge with the leg hoisted up.

Handy tip for milking sucklers. Heard of this at the suckler demo at Ennis Mart. This cow would break your hand if you went near her.

I find a rope around the cow's abdomen just in front of the udder and the hook bones has a similar effect. Pass it around the body and tightened adequately it takes the power out of any beast, I'd imagine it work off the same principle as putting up the tail for squeezing. I'm yet to see it to fail, they might lift the feet but there's no power to kick.

• Advertisement

I find a rope around the cow's abdomen just in front of the udder and the hook bones has a similar effect. Pass it around the body and tightened adequately it takes the power out of any beast, I'd imagine it work off the same principle as putting up the tail for squeezing. I'm yet to see it to fail, they might lift the feet but there's no power to kick.

That’s what we do here, handy when trying to get a calf on a cow aswell.
    When done tightly there is no power in the kick and after one or two attempts they give up.

Advertisement