Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pet Allergies - Are some Cats less likely to cause them, have less dander?

Options
  • 04-03-2019 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭

Considering a cat for my kids .... well Im getting hounded to get a cat :-)

I have mild asthma and Im not that keen but Im considering options

Is there any truth in some cats having less dander?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

worded wrote: »

Is there any truth in some cats having less dander?

I had heard Russian Blues produced less. We had one many years ago but also a long haired Siamese and three moggies so I cant really be sure if that’s true or not.

Also, if it’s to be an indoor only cat and you have a litter box, be aware that the dust from the litter can and often does aggravate asthma.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I was allergic to my cat but used to groom him with a slicker to keep the dander at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I know people with asthma who have multiple pets in their home. I also know people with cat allergies who own cats. :p

I'd recommend going to your local rescue and see about fostering. Which will allow you to see how a cat may settle into your home as well as see if you feel there are any issues.

If you're not keen on getting a cat, don't get one. They are a pet people either love or hate. All family members need to be on board, especially the adults in the home.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

I have asthma and we have three cats and no problems. Granted, they are outdoor cats, but they do spent a lot of time in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

I think it’s also worth finding out what triggers your asthma. If you know it’s dander then I’d see about fostering a cat first rather than getting one and finding out after.

I’ve asthma as well & year round allergies. The list of things I’m allergic to is longer than I care to type, but my GP always is amazed as we keep a multi species home. I also take allergy shots and always have antihistamines on hand.

Would love a cat again, but I’m flat out with 2 piggies, 2 dogs and bird sitting a pair of love birds for a friend. And sometimes have the odd rat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I think considering your potential allergies and the fact that it is the kids driving this - fostering might be a safer plan.

My sister has bad asthma - has been hospitalised in the past with her asthma. She has multiple dogs and ponies. Dogs are not a trigger for her asthma. Do you know if cats are a trigger for yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Seconding the people asking about if it triggers- I have moderately bad asthma and luckily cats and dogs don't affect it at all.

It can also greatly help to wash a cat once a week, hoover the whole house weekly, brush the cat daily, and keep it off your preferred furniture and strictly out of your bedroom. The thing about that is- *you* can't do it if the dander sets you off because these things raise dander. Someone else would have to do these things regularly and diligently. And yes, cats can be washed weekly and can even be trained to tolerate it well.

Do try fostering first. Whatever you do, don't get a kitten, it's almost impossible to predict how allergenic they will be when they grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

There are some breeds of cat that are less likely to cause allergies because of a different protein in their saliva or something like that. From the top of my head I think it’s Siberians. But that’s not to say that they wouldn’t still cause issues with asthma. I’m asthmatic myself and have 3 cats as well as working as a dog groomer. Needless to say pet hair is not one of my triggers! So it may be that you wouldn’t even need a “hypoallergenic” cat if they aren’t a trigger.
    I do find my Bengal cat sheds way way less than my moggies but I really wouldn’t recommend one for a first time cat owner. They are nutters!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Get a hairless cat. They have no hair to trap the saliva into the skin.

I'm only partially joking! They are a hypoallergenic breed. They require a little more care because of their hairlessness, but if you can stand to look at them they're a snuggly, friendly breed. And when it gets cold, they have to wear cute little sweaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

You'd probably build up a resistance after a couple of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭worded

Get a hairless cat. They have no hair to trap the saliva into the skin.

I'm only partially joking! They are a hypoallergenic breed. They require a little more care because of their hairlessness, but if you can stand to look at them they're a snuggly, friendly breed. And when it gets cold, they have to wear cute little sweaters.

Hairless ....They will look wrinkly like Moby the DJ ...

Was does my cat, feel so bad ....

https://youtu.be/o1Xsj9-3Pvo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Hairless ....They will look wrinkly like Moby the DJ ...

Was does my cat, feel so bad ....

https://youtu.be/o1Xsj9-3Pvo

:D

In all seriousness though, the two only two breeds known to produce less of the protein that causes allergies are the Siberian and the Balinese. Both are actually long haired and the Balinese, in my opinion, is one of the most beautiful cats (think long haired Siamese).

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

As far as I’m aware it’s the protein in cat saliva / urine that can trigger allergies and I would assume all cats have this to some extent. I don’t really believe there is hypoallergenic cats or dogs but that is just my opinion.

As for asmtha.....The fur will obviously generate more dust around the house especially if you have carpets. I would imagine a Persian would shed more due to the amount of fur.

I can’t let my cats sleep in my room as i become wheezy. I only let them sit on one couch that isn’t used for putting clothes on etc . I Can’t use feathered duvets as it makes me very wheezy even though I don’t have asmtha anymore.

We had a lot of cats growing up and they would bring a lot of pollen into the house when outside which triggered my hayfever.

They will naturally shed hair and dander. Personally I don’t think washing them would make a huge difference as they will shed everyday. I’m sure this can be reduced slightly by brushing outside but not enough to eliminate shedding completely.

It would be a good idea to foster for a while so you don’t find out when it is too late and have to rehome the cat! Also so you’re not forced into keeping it or being the bad guy you could pretend you are minding it for a friend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I was always fine with all my cats, including long haired, then a short hair rescue gave me problems. no idea why; just this one cat, and still a little edgy with him,

Advertisement