Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Find me a watch in NYC

Options
  • 14-03-2019 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I’ve been reading threads on here for a while and appreciate there is a lot of knowledge

I’m going to be in NYC at end of April and was wondering if it’s worth picking something up over there? Is there good value relative to Dublin?

My budget is 500-600 dollars, and i’d go quartz or auto. I’ve got a Steinhart Ocean One so not looking for a diver. I like the idea of a dress watch but I think i’d get more use out of a less formal watch.

If there is better value online I could get something delivered to family and pick it up while there? Any help spending the money is much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I think your best bet is to first find the watch, and then check the pricing in New York. The exchange rate will obviously play a massive part in whether there is value to be had. And taking into account what rates you'll be getting from your bank.

Is your thinking a watch that could work as a dress watch as well as something else? Or is it broader than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 XamXam

Hi
    Was hoping for something that could be business casual - wear with a shirt but not as obvious as a diver

Would go for a simple understated watch face over a chronograph

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Slightly over budget, but this is for sale from a US seller, in case it's the kinda thing you like:

https://www.chrono24.com/hamilton/pan-europ-automatic-mens-watch-gray-dial-leather-and-nylon-h35415781--id10402609.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I was checking Seiko watches in NY and they were actually cheaper here

• Registered Users Posts: 7 XamXam

Thanks all, I have a bit of research to do in advance
    Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Macy's regularly do a sale, particularly on Seikos where you can get a good 30-50% off the RRP, including the more desirable / popular watches like the Turtle / baby Tuna, etc. Over the last 2 years I have bought two Seikos there, wore them for a while and sold them here on adverts.ie second hand, one for a bit more than I paid and the other for about €10 less than I paid. So got to wear them / own them more or less for free for a while :)

Advertisement