Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why don't players wear gloves / mitts in poor conditions?

Options
  • 17-03-2019 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

In many other sports, players wear gloves / mitts to give better grip of the ball. I used to play team handball and there's a type of hand gel that can be used to give better grip (sticky as feck!).

Given that grip is essential to rugby players, especially in poor weather conditions, why don't more wear approved gloves?

It just really hit home with some of the poor passes yesterday and Best drying the ball each time for a line out.

If a player kept falling, I'm sure they'd question their boots / studs.
    Why don't they take similar action for bad ball handling / poor passing?

Is there a thought of 'we've never had them, we don't need them'?
    Do any players here wear them?
    I'm only a fairweather rugby follower so don't really know the full story.

Any thoughts welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Jofspring

whiskeyman wrote: »
    In many other sports, players wear gloves / mitts to give better grip of the ball. I used to play team handball and there's a type of hand gel that can be used to give better grip (sticky as feck!).

Given that grip is essential to rugby players, especially in poor weather conditions, why don't more wear approved gloves?

It just really hit home with some of the poor passes yesterday and Best drying the ball each time for a line out.

If a player kept falling, I'm sure they'd question their boots / studs.
    Why don't they take similar action for bad ball handling / poor passing?

Is there a thought of 'we've never had them, we don't need them'?
    Do any players here wear them?
    I'm only a fairweather rugby follower so don't really know the full story.

Any thoughts welcome!

Early 2000's loads of players wore gloves. Stringer, O'Driscoll, Quinlan for example. It only seemed to last about a year or two and everyone stopped wearing them, I take it there was a reason.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Gloves are banned but fingerless gloves are allowed.

I'm not sure how much value gloves that don't cover the fingers will be. I'm not even sure if the difference is explicitly spelled anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

In the years before the 2003 world cup they were the done thing. Nowadays I think they've been replaced by hydrophobic sprays like griptec (http://www.rhinorugby.ie/product/griptec-spray/) which have most of the benefits without the same downsides

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Many players still tape their fingers for grip, and almost all use sprays like griptec etc.

Advertisement