Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deep Retrofit - SEAI Grant

• 20-02-2019 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Morning All,

Just wondering if many people have gone through the deep retro-fit process?

I have heard it can be quite slow and red tapped.

also the fact that you are part of a batch of 5/10 houses at a time, you are not a sole client to the builder so the construction process can drag out?

we would be looking to externally insulate, new windows (Some being alterations to make larger windows), air to source heat pump, underfloor heating, insulation to floors, insulation of attic.

The house is a detached house on a cul de sac.

Also i hear that it will would not be 50% back as the ancillary works such as chasing through floors etc and water feeds are excluded from the grant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

Would also love to hear of any feedback on this scheme - very hard to get any info, have read a few profiles on some of the companies that offer the scheme, but it would be great to get an unbiased opinion. It sounds good on paper but the initial outlay for the consultancy is a bit steep without having a better idea if its in general a viable option.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Buddy83

mickey15ie wrote: »
    Morning All,

Just wondering if many people have gone through the deep retro-fit process?

I have heard it can be quite slow and red tapped.

also the fact that you are part of a batch of 5/10 houses at a time, you are not a sole client to the builder so the construction process can drag out?

we would be looking to externally insulate, new windows (Some being alterations to make larger windows), air to source heat pump, underfloor heating, insulation to floors, insulation of attic.

The house is a detached house on a cul de sac.

Also i hear that it will would not be 50% back as the ancillary works such as chasing through floors etc and water feeds are excluded from the grant?

We are currently working our way through the process. Here's what we have experienced so far. I reached out to 7 or 8 different service providers, only heard back from 1 to date, they seem to be crazy busy with this pilot scheme. Once you do make contact with one who is willing to take your project on (albeit it may not start until 2020 etc ) I found the next part of the process quick enough, they need a fresh BER and air-tightness survey (within last 6 months) you organise and pay for this yourself (about €500 which you get 50% back if you go thru with the scheme) you send the reports onto the service provider and then they will arrange an on-site survey. From sending them on the reports to getting the onsite survey completed was about 2 weeks. Onsite survey takes about 2 hours, on the back of this they will send you a detailed breakdown of proposed works and costings. For us we will have about a 6 week wait for the costings as the company is currently flat out submitting its current batch of applications to the SEAI for the end of March. But we are ok with the wait as to date they are ensuring transparency in the process. Once we get costings back and we agree on final works to be undertaken with the company, they plan to submit our application along with 6 others in October of this year, with the hope being we will receive a letter of funding from the SEAI just before or after Christmas (it can take the SEAI 8 weeks to respond). Our service provider has 7 teams in place one for each application, so just after Christmas works will hopefully start and as per the SEAI terms and conditions, they will be finished works within 12 weeks.

Im not sure whether chasing floors etc is covered in the grant... but my basic understanding is that any works to actually install UFH is included in the grant but all works after ie the laying of the new floors and architrave and the new floors themselves etc are not included, also the works to alter and enlarge your existing windows will not be included as will the additional cost of the bigger window ie you'll get up to 50% of the price of replacing the old window size.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Buddy83

krazyklown wrote: »
    Would also love to hear of any feedback on this scheme - very hard to get any info, have read a few profiles on some of the companies that offer the scheme, but it would be great to get an unbiased opinion. It sounds good on paper but the initial outlay for the consultancy is a bit steep without having a better idea if its in general a viable option.

My previous reply on this thread might hold some info for you, when you mention initial outlay for consultancy, do you mean the BER/air tightness surveys?

Advertisement