Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The Mess - Military Forum Off Topic Thread!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Probably not. I'll wager they shoot more on civilian ranges as a hobby than full-time personnel shoot on the military ranges.

By comparison, usually National Guard units don't do so well in the tank competition. This year North Carolina Guard was the top scoring Guard team, they came 15th, just after the Kuwaiti team. There was a bit of an anomaly in 2016 when NC Guard came first overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Given the amount of fun shooting that goes on in the USA in any event, when out of uniform, just gives all the more kudos to the gentlemen from Ranger Wing.

Even here in yUK I can, and often do, shoot three or four times a week centre fire and .22, and that pales into almost total insignificance when you bear in mind that the place I shoot at over in Oregon, the Tri-Counties Gun Club, is open 24/7/365 with 100/300/600 yard ranges for rifles alone, igoring, pro tem, the hundred or so places on the numerous pistol ranges. Most times I'm there it sounds like Omaha Beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭sparky42

The Norwegian Navy is the latest to fall victim to "tanker collision condition", with one of their frigates heavily damaged this morning at the end of the NATO exercise, she's been evacuated with 8 injured and is sinking, tugs have tried to push her up onto shallow ground to save her but looks like a total loss at the moment.
    https://www.bt.no/nyheter/lokalt/i/p62oaW/Satte-fregatten-pa-land-med-vilje

Partaking in a Remembrance Day ceremony in Canada today. Of course, Murrica, as I’m doing it from the TC’s hatch of an M60

Partaking in a Remembrance Day ceremony in Canada today. Of course, Murrica, as I’m doing it from the TC’s hatch of an M60

And I've just arrived home from my annual pilgrimage to four RCAF flyers who died on 26th February 1942. I take care of their graves, and other Canadian CWGC in the local area.

It's ten years since I was home in Canada for Remembrance Day in Ottawa, but I'll be there again next year for sure.

Take care, and thanks for being there instead of me.

tac

• Advertisement

sparky42 wrote: »

Looks like those 'secure' anchoring points weren't.

A 'whoops' moment there, [former] Captain, doncha think?

I just love the comment 'almost completely sunk'. To me, if the only part of a ship visible above water is the top ten feet of the mainmast, well, that qualifies it as 'completely sunk'. It's not as though any amount of bailing out is going to be of much use, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,040 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

tac foley wrote: »

A 'whoops' moment there, [former] Captain, doncha think?

I just love the comment 'almost completely sunk'. To me, if the only part of a ship visible above water is the top ten feet of the mainmast, well, that qualifies it as 'completely sunk'. It's not as though any amount of bailing out is going to be of much use, right?

It is like describing somebody as "mostly dead". the only thing stopping it from sinking further is the bottom of the sea. even if they did manage to refloat the whole ship will have to be refitted due to flood damage. I see a short future manning a desk for the captain.

It is like describing somebody as "mostly dead". the only thing stopping it from sinking further is the bottom of the sea. even if they did manage to refloat the whole ship will have to be refitted due to flood damage. I see a short future manning a desk for the captain.

Given the amount of electronics in such modern ships, "refitting" wouldn't be feasible I would think, all the pricey **** would have to be replaced (ie the radar, control systems, engines...), add in if she did slip then she's ripped more of the hull on the rocks...

Easier just to scrap her and think about a new build from Spain.

I think it won't be just the Captain, the entire watch crew are going to have a short career I'd say.

tac foley wrote: »

The update from the Norwegians is that one of the bow cables snapped last night and the bow sank by a meter, despite attempts to reconnecting it the rest of the bow lines snapped as well leading to where we are now. The aft cables are still holding but she has to be a total write off at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Seems the Germans have ruled out the F35 for their Tornado replacement and it's down to an upgraded Typhoon (for Nukes), and the F18, got to figure it's going to be the Typhoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Colm Fennelly didn't enjoy his six years in the army.
    What part was he in?

Ivan Yates yapping about it now !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Colm Fennelly didn't enjoy his six years in the army.
    What part was he in?

Ivan Yates yapping about it now !

gravel agitator in Kilkenny. although by the sounds of it he was so well minded he didn't even do much of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

For the glory of the empire:

I hope our contribution will be well spent

https://twitter.com/UKDefJournal/status/1105211484991303683

"No music, no smoking, no fighting, no drinking, no prostitution... you want a clean life like this, that is what you want, but sometimes it is not like this," she said.'

Nope. No fighting of any kind, well, apart from the daily bombing from the Infidel coalition of hate etc. Oh, and the occasional mass-shooting of prisoners, beheadings, burning alive in cages, that kind of thing...but apart from that, all is calm........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Why an aircraft carrier?
    (Apart from the fact that you really need 2),I know its about force projection.. But it seems a huge first proposal...
    I can see the logic on common weapons, and a hell of a lot more joint exercises to see where Europe needs to invest, (although, i can't see the public in Europe being thrilled to see several countries transport systems being shut down for a military exercise)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Why an aircraft carrier?
    (Apart from the fact that you really need 2),I know its about force projection.. But it seems a huge first proposal...
    I can see the logic on common weapons, and a hell of a lot more joint exercises to see where Europe needs to invest, (although, i can't see the public in Europe being thrilled to see several countries transport systems being shut down for a military exercise)

Well then you get into the question on whether it's one EU carrier and a French one, or two "EU" ones. This seems to be floating around the same time frame that the French are starting up their CdeG replacement scoping exercise.

Given that the NATO nations are also looking at improving transport links etc to allow for rapid movement I think people could live with that.

That being said I don't see this as anything other than a stunt, German's defence procurement has more than enough problems before you get into a Carrier program.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

That time of year again...

Some very damning information about the F-35 in this article, in particular the inability to sustain mach speeds for extended periods without sustaining structural damage.

https://www.defensenews.com/smr/hidden-troubles-f35/

• Advertisement

The Germans lost two Eurofighters today, sadly one pilot was killed even though they both ejected.

At least they didn't overfly Liechtenstein.

According to the Pentagon, I am worthy of promotion to Lieutenant Colonel, my name just came out on the selection list.
    I need to be moved into an LTC position before I can actually get promoted, though, but it's a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I see according to the Indo there are two new Rangers as of today.

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/two-emerge-from-gruelling-test-to-earn-army-ranger-green-berets-38312825.html

I have to admit, I like the nod to na Fianna with the induction ceremony and the location

At least they didn't overfly Liechtenstein.

According to the Pentagon, I am worthy of promotion to Lieutenant Colonel, my name just came out on the selection list.
    I need to be moved into an LTC position before I can actually get promoted, though, but it's a good sign.

Congrats Manic, well earned no doubt.

Have your Californian Abrams received the newest M1A2 SEPv3 upgrades?

YAY!!! Drinks are on you, Sir! Next promotion you'll have gone past me........... :)

This is amusing.

CalFire has put out a recognition guide for the various aircraft one may see fighting fires in the State. Raise an eyebrow at Page 31.
    https://www.fire.ca.gov/media/4950/aviation_firefighting_webbooklet.pdf

You're a little behind, AT. I left CalGuard in 2007. I left NVGuard in 2019. I now belong to Texas. But no, there are no Abrams left in California. To my surprise, there are no Abrams left in Texas either (Excluding regular army), though I have it on good authority that some will return.

This is amusing.

CalFire has put out a recognition guide for the various aircraft one may see fighting fires in the State. Raise an eyebrow at Page 31.
    https://www.fire.ca.gov/media/4950/aviation_firefighting_webbooklet.pdf

You're a little behind, AT. I left CalGuard in 2007. I left NVGuard in 2019. I now belong to Texas. But no, there are no Abrams left in California. To my surprise, there are no Abrams left in Texas either (Excluding regular army), though I have it on good authority that some will return.

Are you still Branched for Armor? That is surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Inconsequential trivia...

Some might remember Tony Hart who did the kids art show back a few decades ago. He came across as one of the gentlest and kindest presenters of children's
    programming. I never would have imagined him in any army but during the war he was actually a captain in the 1st Gurkha Rifles.

Anybody got any other 'He was in the military and did that, really?' examples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,040 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I always liked this christopher lee anecdote
    At one point during the filming of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, the second installment of the acclaimed trilogy, the crew filmed the scene in which Saruman gets stabbed in the back by Grima Wormtongue. Although the scene didn’t end up in the theatrical release, it can be seen in the extended edition of the trilogy. During the filming of the scene, Jackson wanted Lee to scream after being stabbed in the back. However, Lee refused to scream; he told the director that he witnessed many men getting stabbed in the back and none of them ever screamed. According to the late actor, they merely sighed as air escaped their lungs. Peter Jackson listened to his feedback, and the scene was filmed without any screaming.

Lee was LRDG and SOE during ww2

Advertisement