Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alternative to Climote

• 14-12-2018 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just had the sparks into the office to put a new heating timer in and we discussed remotely controlling the heating.
    He suggested a Climote but I see they charge around €20 per year for remote access through their servers and that it also uses a SIM card.
    My requirements are simple as there are no zones. Can anyone recommend something that would work through wifi and just allow me to open a port.
    Ideally I'd get the same unit for home too.

TIA

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Tado is a very good system.

Electric Ireland has a good deal on Nest.

I'd agree that I wouldn't bother with Climote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Riar_

Is there any chance the Climote could improve, or is it limited by the SMS technology, which I presume it has to get contracts in new developments?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭wait4me

Just dragging this thread up. I had our heating changed to two zones and water (three zones) last year. Thinking about replacing the timer switch with Nest, Climote or something else.

Don't want to pay any annual or monthly fees for the privilege though so I am looking for the pros and cons of each or any system if anybody has the time to chip in with their views, experiences etc - thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

wait4me wrote: »
    Don't want to pay any annual or monthly fees for the privilege

Then don’t go for the Climote.
    There is a megga thread on this topic here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057758281
    though so I am looking for the pros and cons of each or any system if anybody has the time to chip in with their views, experiences etc - thanks.

I achieved this with Sonoff devices. Very flexible and cost effective solution that has no restriction on the number of zones.

Advertisement