Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Medical Exam

• 05-03-2019 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I had asthma when I was a kid, but I never had an asthma attack and I was taken off my inhalor many years ago. I had epilepsy too, but I only had one fit and that was in 2010. Can I still join? Will they ask my GP for my records? Also could I get my GP to say that I am fit for duty if they are hesitant to accept?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Kerastes

Can answer this question. You've never had Asthma, and you've never ever had this epileptic fit. There are no punishments for lying and there is like a 1/10 chance they'll ask for you GP files.

You sign a waiver like document which means they can ask for your medical documents, but I had a good talk with one of the doctors and they hardly ever do. Best of luck.

Both are 100% barring, however what they wont know wont hurt them.

Medical standards are not the same between services, and the Irish army does not have an easily accessible list of barring medical conditions. However the British army have the JSP 950 which is publicly accessible, it is roughly the same standards and can give you a good idea. Ive been through both recruitment processes and the British I have to say is far better overall.

I had the same issue with the Asthma, with the UK if you havent needed it in 4 years you're fine. Im unsure if the Irish army is the same, I'd have a guess its on a case-by-case system. It's just best to not mention it if you dont need an inhaler anymore. If you had any epileptic fits, seriously dont mention them they're outright banned in most militaries.

Advertisement