Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorbike learner permit question!

• 04-03-2019 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently 23 and will be 24 at the end of the year. I have my full class B driving licence two years this month.

I want to get a motorbike licence and I'm wondering how to go about the A categories. I've read that to have no limitations on bike CC or power, that I would need to be 24 years of age or older.

So my question is, if I go for my motorbike learner permit now, will I be limited to the AM, A1, A2 licences after I turn 24? Or once I hit 24, I can drive any motorbike? Say if I got an A2 licence now, will I have to update the licence itself when I turn 24 to add on the A* category? The official information for this sort of stuff is very limited and somewhat confusing.

Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Hi all,

I'm currently 23 and will be 24 at the end of the year. I have my full class B driving licence two years this month.

I want to get a motorbike licence and I'm wondering how to go about the A categories. I've read that to have no limitations on bike CC or power, that I would need to be 24 years of age or older.

So my question is, if I go for my motorbike learner permit now, will I be limited to the AM, A1, A2 licences after I turn 24? Or once I hit 24, I can drive any motorbike? Say if I got an A2 licence now, will I have to update the licence itself when I turn 24 to add on the A* category? The official information for this sort of stuff is very limited and somewhat confusing.

Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance!

Once you turn 24 you'll be able to do a 1 day add on to be able to drive on an A licence bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Once you turn 24 you'll be able to do a 1 day add on to be able to drive on an A licence bike.

I don't believe this is true, I was informed I had to do the IBT again.

Progressive access can only be completed once you hold the A2 license for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

beno619 wrote: »
    I don't believe this is true, I was informed I had to do the IBT again.

Progressive access can only be completed once you hold the A2 license for 2 years.

Were you under 24 by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

zubair wrote: »
    Were you under 24 by any chance?

23 When got my A2, 24 when I tried to move up to an A and assumed I could just do another module.

You were misinformed. Once you're over 24 the 2 year wait rule is gone and module 5 will get you a cat A.

If I was the OP I'd just wait all the same. Avoid all the arsing around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭NeilMcGrane

Right I understand it a bit more now. I'm looking to get on a bike asap, as I was hoping to have my learner permit for the summer to practice. I'd be in no rush for an A* licence. So if its just a case of doing the module 5 after I turn 24 I won't mind as I would probably put it off for awhile. I had assumed I would've been stuck with AM, A1 or A2 long term before getting the A* licence.

If I get my learner permit now for an A2 licence, and don't sit my actual driving test until next year (I'll be 24), can I automatically go from an A2 learner permit to a full A* licence once module 5 has been completed? Or must module 5 be done after acquiring the full licence?

You can do module 5 without doing the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭NeilMcGrane

You can do module 5 without doing the test.

Perfect, thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

You were misinformed. Once you're over 24 the 2 year wait rule is gone and module 5 will get you a cat A.

If I was the OP I'd just wait all the same. Avoid all the arsing around.

Where did you get this info from? I had to wait two years to do my A2->A progression, having gotten A2 when over 24.

It's not terribly clear on this chart http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Third%20Directive/bikes_chart_3rd_directive_V2.pdf but I don't see something saying that one is excluded from the A2->A 2 year wait if one is over 24.

Gavin wrote: »
    Where did you get this info from? I had to wait two years to do my A2->A progression, having gotten A2 when over 24.

It's not terribly clear on this chart http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Third%20Directive/bikes_chart_3rd_directive_V2.pdf but I don't see something saying that one is excluded from the A2->A 2 year wait if one is over 24.

Check the ibt booklet, pretty sure it has the most detailed explanation of how everything works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You can get an A learner permit at age 24 with no prior experience at all, so to make a full A2 holder aged over 24 go through a waiting period would make no sense

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement