Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Military Books

1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I got an interesting book recently, Fangs of the Lone Wolf: Chechen Tactics in the Russian-Chechen War 1994-2009

51TE8s7xf8L._SX317_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Really interesting book in that it's not telling a story rather it's a collection of engagements recounted by a few chechen fighters, organised by type (Defense of an Urban Area, Breakout of an Encirclement etc.,) and also including a brief analysis accompanied by maps, really fascinating stuff to read and something I would like to see done from a few other viewpoints too. Probably a bit 'academic' for some though and most of the actions described are only 2/3 pages long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Just finished this......

51c%2B74vUdzL._SX340_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Excellent book, in my view, that focuses on the Canadians and their contribution - it's basically a reappraisal of their contribution which is often overlooked or denigrated in other accounts of OVERLORD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its a pricey book on amazon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I had a loan copy, but it doesn't look much cheaper on Abe.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Artur.PL

"My thirteen years in Polish Special Missions unit GROM"

"For the first time in GROM's history (it is almost 25 years since the Unit came into existence) ex-soldier of the Unit, not officer or commander but a shooter, decided to write his memories - story of thirteen years of service the Motherland and fight in Global War on Terrorism. A story of life and Brotherhood. Approved by GROM's current Commander."

E-book - http://gromyears.com

Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Thirteen-352568968252938

Kisiel and Chris Kyle
    13113926_660494424091255_2137508076_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTI0NjMyNjIyNjM1MzM3OTcwOQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Conchir

Looking for a recommendation. I want to find a good submarine/U-boat book. I read Chickenhawk recently and really enjoyed it, does anyone know of anything in a similar vein about U-boats/submarine warfare? I'd immediately think of Das Boot, can anyone recommend that or something else?

As a contribution to the thread, Chickenhawk was a very good read. He was remarkably honest about his war experience, I didn't get the impression he left anything out. Also, the descriptions of helicopter flying make it sound like one of the most difficult things you could do, and his accounts of combat flying are gripping. Would definitely recommend it.

Das boot I read maybe 25 yrs ago. My memory was it was excellent. I've not re-read it since no longer have it but I must.

There's a few books like chicken hawk. Mason wrote a second book. But it's more like back story about his life and problems after Vietnam. It's a very different kind of book.

I might make a list of my suggestions tomorrow. They are all in a box somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Conchir wrote: »

Ed Macy, books 'Apache' and 'Hellfire' great reads Obviously both about Apache flying in combat, there are a few other good ones in the same vein..

Tom a. Johnston 'To the Limit' air cav huey pilot

Randy r. Zahn 'Snake Pilot' cobra attack heli in vietnam

Damien Lewis 'Apache Dawn" similar to ed macys books but different

Charlotte Madison "Dressed to Kill' Female Apache pilot in combat

All the above are great reads

I liked Ed Macys books also.

I was trying to think of Naval ones. One lesser known one was

Gunboat 658 by Len Reynolds about MGB and MTBs.

HMS Ulysses by Alistair MacLean its a novel but worth reading.

More Vietnam stuff.
    Thud Ridge Jack Broughton is another Vietnam Classic.
    Thunder Rolled & Palace Cobra Ed Rasimus
    100 Missions North by Ken Bell
    Low Level Hell - Hugh-Mills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Interesting book I picked up recently.

Wild Blue by Steven E. Ambrose
    It's by the man that did the book Band of Brothers was based on. This time it's about the Air Force bomber command. It's a collection of recollections (sometimes from different people) woven together into readable story passages. The new Speilberg/Hanks TV series (if it ever gets going) will likely lift parts from these pages.

Right now I'm stuck into Andy McNab's - Immediate Action. It's his full autobiography. I wont be putting this down until it's finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 murf

The Sea Wolves by Wolfgang Frank was very good as I recall, read it many years ago. https://uboat.net/books/item/390

Not sure if it's in print anymore though.

Advertisement