Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

What were the most active areas in War of Independence?

• 22-01-2019 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

I'm aware that the south west and Dublin were the hot spots during the war of independence but does anyone know where exactly within a ten mile radius the exact hot spots were?Could make a most interesting map!Any advice or insights people might have got from seriously studying this area?Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Roscommon/Leitrim have a fine history of participation in the War of Independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Obviously Cork and the counties around it were very active. A lot of militant labour action with the Limerick Soviet in 1919 & the Knocklong Soviet a year later.

There wasn't much flying columns in Dublin mainly just IRA ASU's, obviously of course a bigger unit of company size was used for the Customs House attack in May 1921.

Longford was pretty active, probably the most active of the midlands counties. There was the famous Clonfin Ambush were the injured RIC & Auxies had their injuries tended to by the IRA doctor.
    And then there's the not so famous Battle of Ballinalee, in which 80 - 100 British forces were driven from the town of Ballinalee by about 30 IRA Volunteers, who inflicted up to 20 deaths on the British forces.

There was also 2 or 3 major ambushes in Mayo.

And Belfast & other Ulster areas like Armagh & Derry didn't really enter the war until about 1921, but thanks to the efforts of Carson, Craig & Crawford they stirred up enough sectarian hatred between Catholics & Protestants that Ulster made up for a quater of the total deaths in the conflict.

Also in the last 4 or 5 months of the war explosives were used more & more by the IRA. In March 1921 the 2nd Kerry brigade killed 13 British soldiers & injured 15 with mines which exploded under the British lorries.
    On the 31st May seven British soldiers from the Hampshire regiment were killed & 20 injured by a mine in Youghal in Cork.
    Again in Cork on the 16 June two Auxies were killed and fpour injured when a mine exploded under a lorry.
    Also the day the truce was signed six civilians were killed by a secretly buried British mine in Waterford. They were also used in Belfast a lot. A UVF unit threw a mine into a playground on to a bunch of children killing several in 1922.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭topnotch

Generally the counties under martial law first Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Tipperary in December 1920 then one month later Waterford and Clare were added along with Kilkenny and Wexford.

Advertisement