Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mechanic for brakes

• 27-02-2019 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

I am having on going issues with my front brakes.

It seems every few months one of the calibers cease up.

I've had 2 different mechanics look at it, both basically un-clogged the issue but it soon returns.

Can anyone recommend a mechanic thats good with brakes in the dublin area (south preferably but prepared to travel for a good guy)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Cheaper to pick up a good used caliper somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What is the make and model?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Once sorted it would be worthwhile mainitaing them if it's a reoccurring problem. Some brake cleaner sprayed in at the pistons should help clear any build up that's probably causing the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The best method is to completely strip the caliper, remove the pistons and of all rubber components.
    Then clean and polish the pistons if they have slight pitting over the seal area I would be OK if not then a new set of pistons isn't that expensive.
    Using a blowtorch heat the caliper until the brake fluid inside is dry, no damp at all.
    Using a scotchbrite pad clean the inside of the caliper back to clean metal, using a pick carefully run it around the seal grooves and remove any deposits that are in there the grooves should be very clean.
    I use a Dremel type tool with a mini wire wheel to clean the grooves.
    Pack some red rubber grease into the grooves and refit the seal noting the direction of the seal, they are not square section even though they look like it.
    Smear red rubber grease liberally over the piston and refit.

The slider rubbers can be checked by seeing if the pins run smoothly inside, any binding or rust will cause the caliper to stick and not return.
    New ones can be got as part of a kit from Wemoto.
    Important, use rubber safe grease to grease the pins before assembly, I use Motorex Grease 2000 as its elastomer safe, but whatever you do keep any copper grease away from rubber components as it will swell and deteriorate the rubber.

Refit the caliper and bleed, check operation.

If you have rubber brake lines these can deteriorate inside and collapse causing a one way valve effect.

Similarly in the master cylinder the ports in the master cylinder should all be clear, blockages of the tiny holes can lead to sticky brakes as well.

Advertisement