Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car insurance for >15 year old cars

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

My car is 13 years old and a 3.0l AA tried to double my premium to 900 euro on the basis of age mostly and engine size. I said grand I'm buying a new car anyway so gave her the details of a 141 1.0l Yaris. She came back with a quote of 800 euro!

She spoke to a manager after I tore strips of her and I ended up paying 420 euro with 6 months free AA membership for the apparent computer error....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Rang CoverInAClick and asked them for a fully comprehensive quote on my 1999 Corolla with my wife as a named driver.
    Quoted €545 (via Axa)

I haven't got my renewal quote from Allianz yet [normally comes a few days before Christmas] but last year I paid €750.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Rang CoverInAClick and asked them for a fully comprehensive quote on my 1999 Corolla with my wife as a named driver.
    Quoted €545 (via Axa)

I haven't got my renewal quote from Allianz yet [normally comes a few days before Christmas] but last year I paid €750.

Cover has come down Considerably this year, mine came down by almost 300 euro as well.. (through a broker, patronas,and quedos who've just decided to go bust.. But apparently I'm still covered so hey...)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Quoted €545 (via Axa)

545 is reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I just insured my 2003 325Ci for €715, fully comprehensive with RSA (thanks to my broker). Have my parents on it as named drivers as well.

I'm only 30 but I have six years NCB.

For a car that's about to be 16 years old and has a 2.5 litre engine, that's amazing! For reference, I paid €2295 this time last year for the same car with KennCo (also via a broker)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,755 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

545 is reasonable.

In a universe where a 99 Corolla is worth a fortune, maybe. Meanwhile in the real world that really shouldn't be costing more than about €300.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Kiwi John

Time to look at the system in Australia and NZ where 3rd party is covered in your car tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Kiwi John wrote: »
    Time to look at the system in Australia and NZ where 3rd party is covered in your car tax.

For the sake of conversation, what sort of figure would you consider acceptable to add to the existing motor tax rates? Bear in mind that it needs to cover the level of awards and legal costs that citizens are entitled to under current legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

For the sake of conversation, what sort of figure would you consider acceptable to add to the existing motor tax rates? Bear in mind that it needs to cover the level of awards and legal costs that citizens are entitled to under current legislation.

Maybe he was hoping they would reduce tax to make it on par with those countries while also adopting there system :)

galwaytt wrote: »
    In a universe where a 99 Corolla is worth a fortune, maybe. Meanwhile in the real world that really shouldn't be costing more than about €300.

In the real world payout for injuries is Ireland is massive, the cost of the car doesn't really come in to the cost of liability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

tuxy wrote: »
    Maybe he was hoping they would reduce tax to make it on par with those countries while also adopting there system :)

That would work for me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,755 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

In the real world payout for injuries is Ireland is massive, the cost of the car doesn't really come in to the cost of liability.

Whilst you're correct, that doesn't tally with peoples experience with quotes. If it was, we wouldn't have people 'having' to start driving 1.0 econoboxes, when a 1.4/1.6L variant (of the same car) would likely be available, better - and probably cheaper to buy in the first place.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

The < 1000cc cars hold their value because of cheaper tax and insurance. They don't start out more expensive than cars with larger engines when bought new from the dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,206 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Wifes 98 Astra 1.4, bank of Ireland RSA up from €378 last year to €444 this year, whats "This premium includes a minimum time on risk charge of €65"?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Wifes 98 Astra 1.4, bank of Ireland RSA up from €378 last year to €444 this year, whats "This premium includes a minimum time on risk charge of €65"?

It just means they will charge you €65 if you cancel early.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LemmyKilmister

Markcheese wrote: »
    Cover has come down Considerably this year, mine came down by almost 300 euro as well.. (through a broker, patronas,and quedos who've just decided to go bust.. But apparently I'm still covered so hey...)

Do you have a contact person at Patrona? You are talking about Patrona Underwriting, correct?

I just insured my 2003 325Ci for €715, fully comprehensive with RSA (thanks to my broker). Have my parents on it as named drivers as well.

I'm only 30 but I have six years NCB.

For a car that's about to be 16 years old and has a 2.5 litre engine, that's amazing! For reference, I paid €2295 this time last year for the same car with KennCo (also via a broker)!

Can you please share with us the name of your broker?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

I have a 1995 car, i was with AA and my renewal quote was €1,285.

I went straight to AXA directly and was quoted €730.

I had my heart set on getting a different car and i have been checking different car registrations on various sites to get an idea of what i would be paying for an 08/09 and i am finding for the sake of what seems to be a saving of only a couple hundred i might as well be better sticking what i have for another year.

Going through all the usual questions in the office to make sure all the information was correct, i asked him ''would it benefit me to putting a named driver on the policy?'' and he firmly said ''No''. I never had a named driver on my policy before and i was just happy with the quote difference which i didn't commit to yet.
    Should that be something i should ask about again regards bringing the premium down a bit more having a named driver on the policy and another thing or just take his word for it?

Something else i noticed on the declaration is 'You do not hold an annual travel pass'. As a carer i do have a free travel pass, so again would that be something i should inquire about? I know i should be asking AXA these things, i just wanna hear if someone else had asked about these before and managed to get it down before going back to their branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

derra wrote: »

Something else i noticed on the declaration is 'You do not hold an annual travel pass'. As a carer i do have a free travel pass, so again would that be something i should inquire about? I know i should be asking AXA these things, i just wanna hear if someone else had asked about these before and managed to get it down before going back to their branch.

My insurance came down this year because I hold an annual taxsaver ticket. 20 year old car, got quotes from Axa and Allianz, both applied a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

My insurance came down this year because I hold an annual taxsaver ticket. 20 year old car, got quotes from Axa and Allianz, both applied a discount.

I had done another quote online last night and it came in at €16 cheaper than it was when i got one in the AXA office on Friday.

I rang today about adding an experienced named driver to the policy but he said unless it was a spouse/partner it not make any difference.

I mentioned the pass i have but he seemed to say it was more of a benefit years ago.

Last thing i asked was about the difference between the quotes online and in the office as online was supposed to be cheaper or something and not sure what his answer was there!

Anyway, i ended up with another €83 off the original one i got on Friday in the office.

Just kicking myself for not doing this before, i just renewed the last few years with AA because i was wasting my time ringing places trying to get a jap import quoted. Just over €500 in the difference between them!

• Advertisement

Has any non nationals tried with Clements Insurance? They are offering motor insurance for expats again...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Only registered with me tonight. My car is 16 years old. I've owned it for about 15. I don't do much mileage. Would I be able to get vintage/classic insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

probably but you would also most likely need a separate daily driver. Even if you were able to find insurance without the daily. You would loose your no claims after 2 years. ( the classic policy does not maintain your NCB)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 BexieB

Classic car insurance policies in Ireland are based on you having another car as your everyday driver. As such they are a supplemental policy which do not in themselves attract a no - claims discount. First Ireland used to have a policy that insured classic cars as everyday drivers but discontinued it years ago. I’ve yet to find a company who offers such a product since

I just got a quote for renewal of my insurance with Liberty
    6 years no claims
    1.3 1997 Toyota Starlet
    €925

I check to see how much BOI would be to insure my dads car, a 2012 1.6 TDI Octavia and was quoted €450 online

I called BOI but they won't take on new customers with cars over 16 years old
    I also tried Chill and even though they are a brokers they couldn't find anyone that would insure a car that old. They told me to call Libertry directly but that doesn't help since I already have a quote with them.

Has anyone here taken out a new policy this year on an old car and few so who with?
    I just want a few companies I can call so I can see if the liberty quote for renewal is reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If you call Liberty you may be able to negotiate a reduction.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

I just got a quote for renewal of my insurance with Liberty
    6 years no claims
    1.3 1997 Toyota Starlet
    €925

I check to see how much BOI would be to insure my dads car, a 2012 1.6 TDI Octavia and was quoted €450 online

I called BOI but they won't take on new customers with cars over 16 years old
    I also tried Chill and even though they are a brokers they couldn't find anyone that would insure a car that old. They told me to call Libertry directly but that doesn't help since I already have a quote with them.

Has anyone here taken out a new policy this year on an old car and few so who with?
    I just want a few companies I can call so I can see if the liberty quote for renewal is reasonable.

Did you try Aviva. My 01 golf is insured with them

No, I'll try them monday. Are you a new customer with them? Companies will usually renew but may not take on new customers with older cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

No, I'll try them monday. Are you a new customer with them? Companies will usually renew but may not take on new customers with older cars.

New customer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

physioman wrote: »
    New customer

Aviva is taking on old cars again!

They're the ones that started all the boll*x with old cars!

Advertisement