Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Contemplating the French foreign legion.

• 26-01-2018 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hello.

I'm Mike, I'm 33 years old and a farmer by trade. I'm not happy with my life!

I inherited a mess of a farm at 26 but I have no love for it, I worked hard at it for a long time but the years ground me down and things started going wrong. Although it breaks my heart to admit defeat I have decided to leave the farm behind.

This decision has not been reached lightly but I have always been interested in the army but obviously I'm too old for the Irish or British. I have no delusions of romance and don't want to join for any chest puffing notions.

I want to be rebuilt in essence both mentally and physically, with the farm gone there will be nothing for me where I am and I'll be damned if I'm going to be labelled a failed farmer for the rest of my day's.

I want to ask anyone who has any insight into the legion or other military forces if at 33, I would be a candidate for this experience.

All questions and information are welcome and greatly appreciated.

Sincerely, Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Do a search on this forum for this subject - there are probably thousands of posts regarding joining, living in it, leaving it, and what it leaves you with.

The FFL WILL take you, but what it makes of you will be up to them, and what you make of it will be up to you.

Just don't be a loon like this person appears to be - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057831522

Good luck.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭source

tac foley wrote: »
    Do a search on this forum for this subject - there are probably thousands of posts regarding joining, living in it, leaving it, and what it leaves you with.

The FFL WILL take you, but what it makes of you will be up to them, and what you make of it will be up to you.

Just don't be a loon like this person appears to be - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057831522

Good luck.

tac

OP my post in the linked thread makes for good reading and watching. Go into it, if you really are interested with your eyes wide open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mario84s

beauf wrote: »

best autobiography I've read

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

How fit are you? Get fit, to marathon running level, because it's all about endurance. Lifting a full bergen and marching for hours in heat/cold/rain/desert sand/jungle.....learn French, as soon as, because commands are only given in French. Its a five year commitment and it's postings in French / Africa and other French territories. It's considerably tougher than ordinary , regular line soldiers encounter.

• Advertisement

The FFL is also in Afghanistan. You won't have to learn French to join, because it is taught, often by kinetic methods, as soon as you join.

What you do is 'Suivez les autres'.

gr8 m8 wrote: »
    All questions and information are welcome and greatly appreciated.

check out cervens.net
    you'll find all info by former legionnaires there, including how to prepare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

"Often by kinetic methods" LOL! A fist to the side of the head, if the caporal likes you and a boot up the arse if he doesn't. Get as much French learnt before you go.

You'll also learn the basic Polish words like KURWA...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Theres a few youtube videos about the FFL.

Learn as much French as you can.
    Get Fit.

Most lads seem to stick it out for 5 years and leave with a French Passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Do it.

Also, it's also 36 years of age for the British Army. Would recommend, I enjoyed my years there, but I do think the FFA would have been awesome too.

Few lads in the BA who went FFL first said BA is by far harder physically, and more rigorous on exercise. Not making a dig here, as I have met some lads from here for pints who are currently FFL and they walk the walk, but the comparisons are interesting to me as I thought the BA was slightly 'restrained' in phase one training.

Few lads in the BA who went FFL first said BA is by far harder physically, and more rigorous on exercise. Not making a dig here, as I have met some lads from here for pints who are currently FFL and they walk the walk, but the comparisons are interesting to me as I thought the BA was slightly 'restrained' in phase one training.

In the British Army we don't beat the livin' sh*t out of people, make them stand in the 38C sun with a rifle over their heads for hours on end, put recruits in tin boxes and beat the sides, or put recruits on short rations.

Apart from that, military training is pretty much the same anywhere as in any real Army.

Oh, the British Army 'assumes' that you already speak English, and you don't get to crawl the length of the parade square in your skivvies with a 50 pound pack if you misunderstand the Caporal.

I'd be interested to learn how long your 'lads' spent in the FFL before deciding to join the British Army.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Townton

and you don't get to crawl the length of the parade square in your skivvies with a 50 pound pack if you misunderstand the Caporal.

True to an extent but walk the wrong way around a harbour area and see how quickly that changes.

I'd be interested to learn how long your 'lads' spent in the FFL before deciding to join the British Army.

5 years, standard contract for FFL. Learn to chill out.

5 years, standard contract for FFL. Learn to chill out.

?

Seemed to be a reasonable question to me. I spent 33 years in the British Army, and learnt to chill out at quite an early stage in my service.

Thanks for the advice. However, I'm sure you won't mind if I ignore it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭schtinggg

you should have your mates drop a line to www.aalei.org
    Anyone with 5 years + CBC + ESS can apply. Anyone with 4 years 11 months and plenty of tall tales cannot.

Advertisement