Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australian Open 2019

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Novak Djokovic is the best men's tennis player ever. Deep down, everyone who watches tennis knows this. He is odds on to win 20+ slams.

ah now! hold your horses there !!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

RosyLily wrote: »
    As was pointed out pages ago, there's a thread especially for GOAT debate. Why not use it

Can you maybe move the posts? Like people are entitled to discuss it if they want, but when it goes on for page after page, most of it being driven by banned posters with multiple accounts, and gets more traction than any of the actual matches that took place during the tournament, it's just insufferable.

Well well well ....
    well well well well well .....

Jaysus Christ I did not expect this !!! for the first time I'm slightly dissapointed Nadal didn't win as I could have done with the winnings!

Anyway, fantastic to see Djokovic win, I really did not expect him to win so easily, I thought at best a repeat of 2012 AO final...
    Amazing times, really sets it up
    Only 2 slams between Djokovic and Nadal now, it could have been 4 - with Nadal on the double slam!
    Now it's completely flipped with Djokovic having that double slam chance in May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

Are there doubts over drug use on these players?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I don't. He was fully fit for Wimbledon regardless of defeats that happened months earlier. What did you think of Nadal's injury in the 07 final? Did it have any bearing on the match you think?

Of course it had a bearing, but as I said before:

Nadal has had injuries all his career. Bad luck? I’d have thought this is a reflection of his style of play. Staying fit is part of the sport too.

How often has Federer missed a grand slam? His playing style is smarter. He doesn’t flog his body like Nadal does.

Illness is a difference kettle of fish. Why did Federer get mono? Was it tennis related? I have no idea.

Nadal chooses to play the way he does. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,633 ✭✭✭✭josip

Well well well ....

Jaysus Christ I did not expect this !!! for the first time I'm slightly dissapointed Nadal didn't win as I could have done with the winnings!

Anyway, fantastic to see Djokovic win, I really did not expect him to win so easily, I thought at best a repeat of 2012 AO final...
    Only 2 slams between Djokovic and Nadal now, it could have been 4 - with Nadal on the double slam!
    Now it's completely flipped with Djokovic having that double slam chance in May.

Next time back Nadal e/w :)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Perifect wrote: »
    Are there doubts over drug use on these players?

Lots, but probably a conversation we can't have on here.

Lots, but probably a conversation we can't have on here.

Maybe the debate should be about who's doctor is the goat? :D

josip wrote: »
    Next time back Nadal e/w :)

Nice 32.50 profit for me. Very generous odds on the ew portion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Well well well ....

I take it you didn't cash out then?! Sickner for you as you had the balls to pick him from the outset, when most wouldn't go near him. In hindsight, I think he did well to get to the final, but maybe his lack of competitive play (especially with the new attacking strategy) caught up with him. Needless to say that Djokovic was on fire, but had Nadal more confidence in himself, he might have made it more competitive (he was never going to win it though!) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Well well well ....

When did a double career slam become a thing? Think I’d rather have 3 of the 4 slams 5 times than have all of them twice.

All of them once is obviously a thing, but twice? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭WicklowBrave

Perifect wrote: »
    Maybe the debate should be about who's doctor is the goat? :D

That's the case in every professional sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Chivito550 wrote: »
    When did a double career slam become a thing? Think I’d rather have 3 of the 4 slams 5 times than have all of them twice.

All of them once is obviously a thing, but twice? Really?
    I think it became a thing when all three got the career slam. Some people who want Federer to be the GOAT count the total, some who want Nadal/Djokovic to be the GOAT, but aren't sure they can catch the total, came up with this double business. It's irrelevant really. The only thing that does matter is that if Djokovic wins RG he'll have another ITF Grand Slam. Do they still pay out a bonus for that?

That's the case in every professional sport.

Hmmmmm not sure. We're not allowed to discuss it here though.

I take it you didn't cash out then?! Sickner for you as you had the balls to pick him from the outset, when most wouldn't go near him. In hindsight, I think he did well to get to the final, but maybe his lack of competitive play (especially with the new attacking strategy) caught up with him. Needless to say that Djokovic was on fire, but had Nadal more confidence in himself, he might have made it more competitive (he was never going to win it though!) :pac:

Was convinced he'd win, in the 2012 final I was nervous but still had hope Djokovic could do it - so tonight was really really convinced Nadal would win - from the last 2 weeks he just looked liked the in form player.

Someone else mentioned in an earlier post does Djokovic do it on purpose ?
    just does the minimum in the earlier rounds, limps around the court while laughing on the inside ?

Dunno, I am happy Djokovic won, I don't like Nadal, but really could have done with the money.
    Tough months, just bought a house and after Christmas .... pffffft

• Site Banned Posts: 22 Guava Juice

Ah come off it, we're not the only ones drawing such conclusions - have a look online at what seasoned tennis commentators and analysts (who I would regard as a lot more knowledgeable than you or I) are saying about this match. It's the manner in which Tsitsipas beat Fed too, he was calm, assured, confident, aggressive - all qualities which would suggest he has a bright future. You've 10/11 posts on here, after Fed gets beaten, complaining about some suggesting that there *might* be a changing of the guard, reeks of a salty Fed fan imo

Do you still think it was a changing of the guard moment?

Advertisement