Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Kuznetsov Drydock sinks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭sparky42

This honestly doesn't surprise me.

So the docks pumps jammed on while filling the tanks, and it's now under 160 foot of water, be interesting to see the impact on the Russian navies capabilities. Also this is the same dock that had the SSBN fire a few years back.
    http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/24572/russias-dry-dock-accident-could-have-far-larger-repercussions-than-a-damaged-carrier

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Some good news in that one of the cranes was saved, by virtue of falling onto the deck of the Admiral Kuznetsov and both being transferred to another shipyard. :pac:

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Some good news in that one of the cranes was saved, by virtue of falling onto the deck of the Admiral Kuznetsov and both being transferred to another shipyard. :pac:

Do they have another one for a hull the size of him?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,160 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Excuse the noob question but are ships not normally addressed as female?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

sparky42 wrote: »
    Do they have another one for a hull the size of him?

Apparently they do, so just a delay to the repairs rather than a halt.

A photo of the crane lying on the deck.

DqxC1jiXcAAAmdE.jpg:large

ED E wrote: »
    Excuse the noob question but are ships not normally addressed as female?

Western Navies yes, but Russia addresses them as male.

Apparently they do, so just a delay to the repairs rather than a halt.

A photo of the crane lying on the deck.

DqxC1jiXcAAAmdE.jpg:large

Seems a bit conflicted, a russian article I translated through Google suggested the only one in "European Russia" is taking up with one of their Battlecruisers that's been in it since '06 and would need widening to the approaches for the carrier. Moreover that article contradicts the first info, that in fact the refit was only starting and access holes had been cut and he shipped several thousand tons of water onboard with the engine spaces flooded out perhaps...

The dock I have seen discussed is at Severodvinsk in Arkhangelsk.

The dock I have seen discussed is at Severodvinsk in Arkhangelsk.

The Sevmash one? That's the one that has Admiral Nakhimov in it and he's not meant to leave till at least 2021 (and I wouldn't put money on that), and needs work on the approaches according to that Russian article (though it could be wrong).

Either way the loss of this dock has potential serious ramifications for the Russian Navy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

A very seious state of affairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Nothing trivial, I hope.

tac foley wrote: »
    Nothing trivial, I hope.

Not by the sounds of it, don't think we'll be seeing him around for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,209 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Drydock
    It seems it was a floating dock. Possibly this one: https://www.google.ie/maps/@69.0599709,33.1979959,1120m/data=!3m1!1e3

Huge number of civilian and military ships, including some other floating docks (one appears sunk) and sunken hulks within Kola Bay.

So even the Russians are admitting the refit will be "delayed", no **** lads:
    https://thediplomat.com/2018/11/russia-admits-that-it-cant-retrofit-aircraft-carrier-after-accident/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

sparky42 wrote: »
    Either way the loss of this dock has potential serious ramifications for the Russian Navy.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of folks.

tac foley wrote: »
    Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of folks.

Not disagreeing with you, be interesting to see who they can get to bring the Dock up again? If it's down for over a year I wonder how much work it would need just to be restored to operations.

Advertisement