Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MMA/UFC Questions for Newbies

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,000 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I am not trying to wind people up here, but is it legal to kick someone in the balls in MMA?
    Cos I think that would be a great tactic, straight out and a kick in the knackers - that way anyone could really win a fight.

No, it's not legal. Not anymore.

OrneryAngelicKentrosaurus-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Quick question.

I only have a passing interest in the UFC circus thing. But I had an oul' google to see the ranking after Conor McGregor got battered.

He is now ranked at #2 for lightweight behind a Tony Ferguson. And then the champion being your man Khabib that battered McG.

McGregor has moved down to number 8 on the P4P list. This Tony Ferguson is at #13 P4P.

How can he be ranked above him in his own category and below him on a P4P? Isn't P4P supposed to be just a method to compare across weights? Within the same weight, the order of people in an P4P list should surely not be different

Ranking lists are aggregated from votes media votes. People are asked to rank all divisions as well as the P4P list.
    If people were talking their time and being careful, they would cross check their P4P list, and make sure that the same-division orders match.
    But the realities it, people are that careful and just knock it out on a Monday while nursing a hangover.

Mellor wrote: »
    Ranking lists are aggregated from votes media votes. People are asked to rank all divisions as well as the P4P list.
    If people were talking their time and being careful, they would cross check their P4P list, and make sure that the same-division orders match.
    But the realities it, people are that careful and just knock it out on a Monday while nursing a hangover.

So there's no "scientific" basis?

And by scientific I just meant a defined methodology

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭finglashoop

The ufc makes up rankings depending on what fights they are trying to make

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

The ufc makes up rankings depending on what fights they are trying to make

Nah, they just pay no attention to the rankings, which are done by a group of mma journalists, who don't know/care or at worst are hugely biased.

There's no scientific basis to the selections, it's entirely subjective. Yes it is a defined methodology. I gave it to you.

A panel of people pick their arbitrary, and sunjective rankings.
    The rankings are aggregated to form the UFC rankings.
    That's the method.

There's no scientific basis to the selections, it's entirely subjective. Yes it is a defined methodology. I gave it to you.

A panel of people pick their arbitrary, and sunjective rankings.
    The rankings are aggregated to form the UFC rankings.
    That's the method.

Well there is at least a defined panel I meant? Not just random media asked to vote?

For example, in boxing you have boxrec rankings which are based on a defined formula.

And you also have the transnational boxing rankings board. But that is a carefully selected panel rather than the "media"

Anyway, thanks for the responses. I appreciate it. Not a big issue. I had just been curious as to how the ranking were made and particularly so given the discrepancy in the ordering

Well there is at least a defined panel I meant? Not just random media asked to vote?
    You can go on to the rankings pages and see who the voters are, and who their individual votes were for.
    Some might not have updated their P4P rankings yet. Which would contribute to a discrepancy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

For example, in boxing you have boxrec rankings which are based on a defined formula.

And you also have the transnational boxing rankings board. But that is a carefully selected panel rather than the "media"

Anyway, thanks for the responses. I appreciate it. Not a big issue. I had just been curious as to how the ranking were made and particularly so given the discrepancy in the ordering

As others have said it's entirely subjective and based on the opinions of a small number of journalists. Apparently they aren't even high profile MMA journalists either.

Apparently the UFC never even wanted rankings but when they started one of their TV deals the network wanted them so that they could use them to advertise the fights. They probably came up with this half-assed system as a result.

Only yesterday I was wondering if anybody was doing any unofficial rankings and I found this thread on Reddit. His rankings are pretty bad though so he definitely hasn't perfected his algorithm yet.

• Advertisement

Only yesterday I was wondering if anybody was doing any unofficial rankings and I found this thread on Reddit. His rankings are pretty bad though so he definitely hasn't perfected his algorithm yet.

There's another guy doing a ranking system based on the ranking used in chess. It seems pretty solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

There's another guy doing a ranking system based on the ranking used in chess. It seems pretty solid.

I've subsequently found this one which is pretty good. the rankings feel about right and you can quickly see upcoming fights in each division which is nice (as well as the last 3 bouts for each fighter)

Advertisement