Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Creative tools for making stuff

• 15-07-2017 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭

I want to start some small personal projects, using videos from mobile; go pro & content from my Pentax Q mirrorless camera...

I am a creative professional, but not in the business of movie creation. I've used premier (over 10 years ago), iMovie (the original) and Microsoft Movie Maker... So I'm generally familiar with workflows and content creation.

Please recommend some editing software that is good for compiling content, managing stuff like transitions, but also allowing me to produce animated titles and banners/making my presentation very personal... I know that Premier + Aftereffects are the professional approach, I've been looking at Hitfilm and Powerdirector, but am looking for suggestions.

I'm a PC user, my laptop is more than capable, but no powerhouse... Budget can be stretched to about €100 for a full license, I'm not interested in anything that requires a subscription/ongoing payment system.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm a PC user, my laptop is more than capable, but no powerhouse... Budget can be stretched to about €100 for a full license, I'm not interested in anything that requires a subscription/ongoing payment system.
    I only have experience with adobe software. You can buy premiere pro monthly for €24. Or you could get premiere elements for €86. Both are pretty easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

ScumLord wrote: »
    I only have experience with adobe software. You can buy premiere pro monthly for €24. Or you could get premiere elements for €86. Both are pretty easy to use.

Thanks. While I'm not keen to give them money every month, I'd be comfortable with purchasing Elements, but would it give me enough tools to be able to make custom titles etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Thanks. While I'm not keen to give them money every month, I'd be comfortable with purchasing Elements, but would it give me enough tools to be able to make custom titles etc?
    I'm not sure, I'm on Premiere CS 5 which is a bit old and it can do a lot but to make titles that look professional all you really need to be able to do is import the likes of a photoshop file that has transparency, elements has layers so you can put those graphics on one layer and the video on a layer below. The layers makes just about any kind of title and or transition possible. It seems like the animation side of things is using templates whereas pro would let you animate everything from the size, to position, to opacity, video speed, even the effects you apply to the video.

You can download a free trial of both. I'd start with elements and see if that works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The nice people in our IT department have installed premier and after effects... Win win situation for me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Gastarbeiter

Go for Adobe Bundle

Advertisement