Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UK channels without Soarview box?

Options
  • 18-03-2019 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi. So I recently bought a new smart TV for the person I'm living with in Dublin. We could previously get both Irish and UK channels through a Soarview box, but are wondering if it's possible to get them without a box.

The previous setup was this: some kind of aerial on the roof (don't know what kind), with a coax cable running down into some kind of splitter, and then those two coax cables going into a Saorview box (RF IN and LNB IN). This meant we could get all the RTE/BBC channels. But it's cumbersome and would be nice to have everything on one remote.

The new TV is a Panasonic TX-32ES500B. When installing it I can choose between UK and Irish setup, but I just get RTE channels no matter which I pick (when the coax is put straight into the TV). Is there something I can do -- manual tuning perhaps? -- to get the British channels as well?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Diminishing

Thanks for the reply!

That's a shame - the TV doesn't have a satellite tuner. I'm pretty sure there's no satellite dish on the roof. Are we just getting that signal from the aerial then?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

That's a shame - the TV doesn't have a satellite tuner. I'm pretty sure there's no satellite dish on the roof. Are we just getting that signal from the aerial then?

LNB IN only works with a satellite dish for the UK channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Diminishing

Just went up on the roof - turns out there is a satellite. Never knew! Thanks for all the help - looks like we'll have to stick with the box. Cheers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a new TV should pick up UK channels via an aerial without any box or satellite dish once your in an area with FreeView overspill. I'm in Meath and can pick up standard and HD channels from the north via rooftop aeriel. The only channels i'm missing are the ones that share the same frequency as Irish channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Gonzo wrote: »
    a new TV should pick up UK channels via an aerial without any box or satellite dish once your in an area with FreeView overspill. I'm in Meath and can pick up standard and HD channels from the north via rooftop aeriel. The only channels i'm missing are the ones that share the same frequency as Irish channels.

But the vast majority of people living in ROI cannot receive Freeview using a rooftop aerial

• Advertisement
Advertisement