Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driveway Products and Suppliers

Options
  • 17-03-2019 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭

Am thinking of taking up my concrete path and miserable little garden and pavi g the lot with sections for plants etc.

There are a lot of unregulated people in rhis game and as a lone female househokder dont want to get ripped off.

What is the best material to go for and how much should i be paying.

Im not very good at measuring but the area seems to be 10m wide by about 7.5m deep.

I dont like that imprinted concrete stuff its terrible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

Paving will lead to weeds, even if there's a weed barrier beneath it all. You'll spend a lot of time spraying it.

Imprinted concrete is slippy in rain and needs to be re-sealed every few years.

What about a fresh concrete driveway and fake grass / astroturf?

One tip i'd give you is to make sure you don't have any water leaks before you put down a new driveway. You can do this yourself by reading the water meter outside. Don't rely on Irish Water to tell you if there's a leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Thanks a lot!

That false grass would not be to my taste. The area is north facing and does not get any an sun wonder if paving is the best idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

I'm also interested in this subject.
    I'm thinking of tarring my driveway, but have no idea of the cost, or a recommendation of a reputable installation service.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Fifty grades of shay.

I'm also interested in this subject.
    I'm thinking of tarring my driveway, but have no idea of the cost, or a recommendation of a reputable installation service.

The golden pages on Google, friends and neighbours recommendations, there are loads of good contractors in every area.
    Both yourself and the op haven't specified your area so it would be impossible to recommend anyone on here.
    My own personal experience of this would be to contact researched and recommended local contractors and get a few prices.
    What you want done is usually down to personal taste after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The problem for me is that I don’t know any researched and recommended local contractors. That’s why I’m asking here. Golden Pages is a minefield. I’m in the Naas area. I’m swaying towards a new concrete driveway (not imprinted ) with some brick edging for flowerbeds. The cobblelock seems to be a bit of a nuisance maintenance wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Fifty grades of shay.

OK, that's out of my area, but if you look in your locality there must be lads that do it.
    Even put an ad on tradesmen.ie or something like that, they'd get in touch with you.
    Another option is get in touch with a local architect, you don't need to employ him, just ask for a recommendation for a contractor or two off him, they'd put you in touch with reliable lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

anewme wrote: »
    I’m in the Naas area.

We put down a new concrete driveway just a few weeks ago and talked to a few different companies to get quotes. I was going to include a warning in my previous post about a particular company in Johnstown/Naas who employ Filipono laborers, but didn't bother because i thought it was unlikely you'd be in that area.

PM me if you want the name of that Naas company to avoid. They're actively scrubbing their Facebook page of negative reviews...and there have been a couple of horrendous reviews posted!

Anyway, we gave the job to someone else and couldn't be happier with how it turned out, but there's so many dodgy driveway companies out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

I have also had a bad experience with a company based in Drumcondra where the paving cracked after driving over it. This happened multiple times and each time it was hard going to get them back to fix it.

The last time I just posted a bad Google review and they were over within a few days (after making me pull down the review).

So beware!

Advertisement