Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Basic rj11 question

• 13-03-2019 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

I need to put a new plug on my dsl line after I dropped the router and the plug ripped off. I thought it was four strand but it's eight. Do I just twist the relevant wires into pairs and crimp in the rj11 plug as if the pairs were single strands?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭65535

Eight strand would be RJ45 - a 'patch' lead
    Best get one pre-made - nothing worse than noise being introduced into a circuit due to a poor connection.
    Would you have a picture of the offending item ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭trompele

65535 wrote: »
    Eight strand would be RJ45 - a 'patch' lead
    Best get one pre-made - nothing worse than noise being introduced into a circuit due to a poor connection.
    Would you have a picture of the offending item ?

Only two middle wires are used, no polarisation. Rj11 has 4pins but it fits rj45 socket.

Then any telephone preformed cable will suffice, or get some RJ11 crimps and a crimper with flat cable.

Not a good long term idea to leave an RJ11 in an RJ45 socket

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Here's the wire. It definitely terminated in a four contact rj11 plug which goes into the 'phone' socket on the router. So I only need to use four of the wires so? One each of the solid colours, brown, blue, orange, green?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thats a 4 pair ethernet cable. You only need two cables for DSL, do you know where that cable terminates?

• Advertisement

Thats a 4 pair ethernet cable. You only need two cables for DSL, do you know where that cable terminates?

Yeah, the end of the cable in the picture terminated in a four connector rj11 which went into the back of the router. It's coming from the phone socket in the hall. I fed the cable into the sitting room so I could hook up my sky box, Raspberry Pi to the router. I've had to put it back in the hall until I can get this sorted. I just need to put a new rj11 back on but unsure which wires to use.

EDIT: Here is the original end. Kinda hard to tell but it looks like they only used blue/white and blue. Would that make sense?

475465.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

The Irish phone network wiring is very straight forward. Two wires presented on the center two pins of the RJ11 socket and the polarity is not important. All of the services PSTN and DSL don't care which way around you connect the wires.

All the other wires are spare for second lines and various obscure uses : alarms, ISDN, office phone systems, privacy loops and so on.

You can ignore them.

If there's still a phone service or even a dial tone on the line it can be easier to find which pair.

Otherwise just check what's connected to the incoming like by opening the Eir socket and see what's connected to L1 and L2

Anteayer wrote: »
    The Irish phone network wiring is the svery traight forward. Two wires presented on the center two pins of the RJ11 socket and the polarity is not important. All of the services PSTN and DSL don't care which way around you connect the wires.

All the other wires are spare for second lines and various obscure uses : alarms, ISDN, office phone systems, privacy loops and so on.

You can ignore them.

So any two wires to the two centre pins will do?

mordeith wrote: »
    So any two wires to the two centre pins will do?

No. The line is only carried on two wires the other two will be dead, spare wires.

It looks like they used the blue pair (blue solid and blue and white stripe).

What you could do is buy a simple telephone socket (good quality one) and just connect the blue and white pair to the centre two contacts and then plug in a normal telephone cable between the modem and the socket.

To connect an RJ11 or RJ45 connector you need a crimping tool. They're done by just pushing the unstripped wires in and crimping them on. There are little blades in the plug that pierce the insulation.

Go back to the source in the hall, look at what cables are connected there. Its usually light green, blue, light blue, green for the four pairs with the blues in use. But in reality, it could be anything.

• Advertisement

In modern wiring the blue pair is normally the phone line.

However, sometimes it's the orange pair in older installations and in much older wiring all 4 wires had individual colours and weren't necessarily always connected the same way as they weren't intended to be user serviceable. Sometimes it's also just a grey and white twisted pair. Depends on the era of the installation and what the common type of wire that was used at the time was.

It looks to me like you've a plug that was made up by a technician. Just get a phone socket, strip back the wire a bit and connect the blue pair to the centre two terminals. It would be far easier than trying to crimp on an RJ connector if you don't have the tools.

Any simple phone socket of reasonable quality will do the job. Just make sure that you connect the wires to the terminals giving them plenty of contact with the copper and making sure none of your wires are shorting or loose - good, well fitted connection.

Then just plug a normal phone cable between the modem and the new socket.

That's a good idea about the socket. I've gotten hold of a crimp tool and some new rj11 plus so I'll try that first.

When terminating / re-terminating make sure to use a 'twisted pair' that is
    White/Blue AND Blue/White Pair
    Or a similar pair and not just one wire of one colour and another wire of another colour.
    They are twisted to reduce interference

When terminating / re-terminating make sure to use a 'twisted pair' that is
    White/Blue AND Blue/White Pair
    Or a similar pair and not just one wire of one colour and another wire of another colour.
    They are twisted to reduce interference

When you say a twisted pair is each wire of that pair for one pin each or both wires crimped onto one pin as if they were one wire?

When you say a twisted pair is each wire of that pair for one pin each or both wires crimped onto one pin as if they were one wire?

Just use one wire per pin but don't treat them as individual wires that can be used in any order. for example, don't use one half of the orange and blue pair.

A pair should have a circuit on it. The wires are twisted in pairs because that balances their electromagnetic fields off each other when they're opposite sides of the same circuit, preventing interference.

So if you're using blue for your line, you use the blue pair. If you're using orange you use the orange pair. You don't put one leg of the circuit on blue and the other on orange.

All you need to do is connect the blue pair to the centre two pins in the phone plug that's going into the modem. Beyond that it's all just spare wires.

Cool. That makes sense. Thanks.

OK, so as advised previously I had a look at the other end of the cable and it looks like they used orange and green wires?

That's a different cable to the one shown earlier.
    That is a flat cord for RJ11 to RJ11 connections.
    The inner 2 wires are used, normally green and red in colour.
    The other (outer 2) are not normally used

That's a different cable to the one shown earlier.
    That is a flat cord for RJ11 to RJ11 connections.
    The inner 2 wires are used, normally green and red in colour.
    The other (outer 2) are not normally used

You're correct. Just had a look and the cable has been 'spliced'. Have a look at the attached picture. What the hell is going on there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

You're correct. Just had a look and the cable has been 'spliced'. Have a look at the attached picture. What the hell is going on there?

That's Mickey Mouse work and is likely affecting your broadband speed. Just order a sufficiently long RJ11 cable online.

• Advertisement

That's Mickey Mouse work and is likely affecting your broadband speed. Just order a sufficiently long RJ11 cable online.

I'd gotten my brother to run the cable. Must have a word. Glad I didn't pay him anyway!

OK, so as advised previously I had a look at the other end of the cable and it looks like they used orange and green wires?

The old US colours were red and green (main phone line on centre pair) and black and yellow (spare line). These are still used in flat (non twisted) telephone cables.

If you see those colours, it's always the red and green wires you need to use.

Well I won't be trying it today. Turns out the rj11 plugs I bought are actually rj22 (despite being called rj11 on the website)

There are cables up on Adverts, just do a search for RJ11, make sure that both ends suit your connections there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Well I won't be trying it today. Turns out the rj11 plugs I bought are actually rj22 (despite being called rj11 on the website)

RJ11 plugs are designed for smaller diameter cable than is normally used in Ethernet cable. That is likely why the connector came off so easily when you dropped the router. It's just going to be a bodge job if you redo it.

RJ22 is the connector that goes between telephone handsets and the base of the phone. You'd find them on the curly handset cords.

You would need to pull that apart and look at what is connected there to complete it. Probably better off getting a new cable, as others have said its not a great solution.

Just fit a phone socket. Then connect your modem with a normal phone cord. Trying to make up an RJ11 cable isn't that easy. The connectors are designed for flat cable, not round ethernet cable.

If anyone moves the modem it's likely the home made phone plug will fall off.

Anteayer wrote: »
    Just fit a phone socket. Then connect your modem with a normal phone cord. Trying to make up an RJ11 cable isn't that easy. The connectors are designed for flat cable, not round ethernet cable.

If anyone moves the modem it's likely the home made phone plug will fall off.

That's what I'm hoping to do. If I only need one pair am I correct to wire the blue/white and blue wire to red and green as in the picture or how should I do it?

• Advertisement

That wiring is fine, plug it in and check it out to see if it is working.

Any poor joining connections will reduce broadband speed and introduce noise on the line.

Advertisement