Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting a Minor

• 21-02-2019 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Does anyone know what the procedure is to getting a minor along side your degree? I’ve had people tell me that, for example, if you take 3 finance modules as electives then you get a minor in finance. Is this true or can you only get a minor from structured electives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Celtron wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the procedure is to getting a minor along side your degree? I’ve had people tell me that, for example, if you take 3 finance modules as electives then you get a minor in finance. Is this true or can you only get a minor from structured electives?

I can't say for certain, but I think that 3 modules is way too little to obtain a minor. I think you'd be talking about twice that amount.

Unless there's a major-minor thing offered as part of your programme, I'd say that you'd probably be talking about some additional fees for the amount of additional credits required to bring your would-be minor subject up to the level that would be considered a minor. I think fees are something in the ballpark of €500 per module.

But I'm no expert. The people who should know would be the programme office related to the programme your registered to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

There was something like this back in 2013/2014 iirc. Though it was specific to Social Justice and it was an additional item on your degree. It was 15 credits. linky
    I don't know if they expanded the offer but perhaps

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

You're probably thinking of the structured elective, which means that if you take 15 elective credits in a block of specific modules (info on which ones via the link below) you'll get a 'structured elective' which will appear on your transcript: http://www.ucd.ie/students/electives/structuredelectives.html

Advertisement