Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Withdrawal from course

• 30-01-2019 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there,
    I am currently in my second year of early childhood education and care level 8. I have passed my first year exams. I have been thinking about withdrawing from the course. However I was wondering if I get a level 6 degree for completing the first year of my course and passing my exams or no. Any ideas? Much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

The first and best piece of advice I could give is to voice your concerns and reasoning behind why you want to possibly withdraw from the course with your head lecturer, or the programme director. They will provide a good insight as to what to do next, and how to make that next step, whatever direction it may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

OP
    I work in the third level sector but I am not an academic staff member.

Firstly, follow the advice of given by the second poster. Most courses operate on a credits basis.

A further point to note is that you can take time out and reenter the course. So if you are unsure then use this process to delay having to make any decision to cut the chord.

You must attain so many credits to attain your level 8 standard and each module you undertake carries a number of credits. I am not sure credits from a level 8 equate to credits on a lower level but check with your college.

My advice to you would be to try finish out the year and 'bank' the credits you have earned, before leaving. You will already received credits from passing your first year exams (well done on that, by the way). If you ever wish to reenter the education sector in the future you may be able to use these credits and reduce the time you need to complete further education.

Advertisement