Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Best time of year to join French Foreign Legion

• 18-01-2018 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

What's the time of year that would make training easier as in not too hot and not too cold?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

You ARE kidding, right?

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

tac foley wrote: »
    You ARE kidding, right?

tac

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Lad I went to school with over 30 years ago joined up. He got all the info from the French embassy and from there he went to France and from what I can recall he ended up in southern France doing his training.

After a few months or so he went to some French colony in Africa for desert training and then to south or central America for jungle training.

The last I heard of him he had become a naturaliaed French citizen and had fought in either Iraq or Afghanistan in the early days of those wars.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Lad I went to school with over 30 years ago joined up. He got all the info from the French embassy and from there he went to France and from what I can recall he ended up in southern France doing his training.

After a few months or so he went to some French colony in Africa for desert training and then to south or central America for jungle training.

The last I heard of him he had become a naturaliaed French citizen and had fought in either Iraq or Afghanistan in the early days of those wars.

Sounds like it wouldn't be too cold so that would be good anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

If you're young, single and nothing else going down here for you go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I've heard that the Afghan mountains in winter are practically tropical. Great for topping up the tan that you get from the St Tropez training camp.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    If you're young, single and nothing else going down here for you go for it.

Thinking about it. Have money made from bitcoin and gone a buy aimless. Would like fitness and new skills and toughness also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

If you're worried about it being too hot or cold, it might not be for you... some training is French Guyana, in South America, kinda warm n humid there,

Some recruiting offices tell you they don't want you, but it's a little ploy, you have to go back day after day to show you want to enlist.

5 year term, and I believe, even if you die before your 5 years are up they can keep you till your 5 years service are done. :D

Bonne Chance..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Thinking about it. Have money made from bitcoin and gone a buy aimless. Would like fitness and new skills and toughness also.

Vive la mort, vive la guerre, vive le sacre mercenaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Ha Ha, your opening was funny.

If you join up, the last thing on your mind will be the weather.
    The second last thing on your mind will be where in the world you are.

I recommend Junior B hurling or football at your local GAA club for a bit of fitness, new skills and toughness.
    If you hack a season there, you might be slightly more prepared than you are now.

All the best with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What's the time of year that would make training easier as in not too hot and not too cold?

If you are worried about the temperature of the training zone, I'd hazard a guess the military life is not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

You'll be fine, in hot weather the ossifers let you spend all day in frolicking the pool and when it's cold if you ask nicely they will make you a hot water bottle and tuck you up in bed :D

This is a facile thread.

I'm out.

tac

Vive la mort, vive la guerre, vive le sacre mercenaire.

Yeah learning French would be a bonus. Did German and school and haven't a word of French.

Ha Ha, your opening was funny.

If you join up, the last thing on your mind will be the weather.
    The second last thing on your mind will be where in the world you are.

I recommend Junior B hurling or football at your local GAA club for a bit of fitness, new skills and toughness.
    If you hack a season there, you might be slightly more prepared than you are now.

All the best with it.

Thanks. I assume the food is a typical hearty rustic French affair ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

If that's what you can forage, sure.

Anyway isn't today a school day - out early?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭source

I can't believe this isn't a wind up thread.

However if op is serious and is thinking of joining the FFL he should have a read of the following:

Legionnaire by Simon Murray
    Diary of a Legionnaire by Gareth Cairns
    Legionnaire Mackenzie by Mark Morgan
    Hidden Soldier by Padraig O'Keefe
    Naked Soldier by Tony Sloane

All great books that give a no doubt sanitised version of life in the FFL. If these books are the sanitised version you can build up a good picture of what it's really like.

Also some good documentaries on you tube.

https://youtu.be/_KIIDCfpP0A
    https://youtu.be/U41DRZKCN4g

Also i would echo what others have said, if you're asking the questions you're asking here is probably not for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

source wrote: »
    I can't believe this isn't a wind up thread.

However if op is serious and is thinking of joining the FFL he should have a read of the following:

Legionnaire by Simon Murray
    Diary of a Legionnaire by Gareth Cairns
    Legionnaire Mackenzie by Mark Morgan
    Hidden Soldier by Padraig O'Keefe
    Naked Soldier by Tony Sloane

All great books that give a no doubt sanitised version of life in the FFL. If these books are the sanitised version you can build up a good picture of what it's really like.

Also some good documentaries on you tube.

https://youtu.be/_KIIDCfpP0A
    https://youtu.be/U41DRZKCN4g

Also i would echo what others have said, if you're asking the questions you're asking here is probably not for you.

Think this more suited to the OP... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Remake_of_Beau_Geste

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭source

You are more than likely right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Usually just after a break - up.

Do you want to forget, OP?
    Are you 22?

https://youtu.be/gi3ggH1s-sM

• Advertisement

Troll.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

It's bouillabaisse till its coming out your eyes, crunchy baguettes and brie in your ration packs all washed down with a choice of Bordeaux chateaux.

You'll fare well, good man.

Usually just after a break - up.

Do you want to forget, OP?
    Are you 22?

https://youtu.be/gi3ggH1s-sM

Nope not forgetting more about learning new skills, languages and experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,923 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Travel the world, meet interesting people, and skill them?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

April/May is gorgeous in North Africa. Especially with all the time off the Legion gives its recruits.

I needed some R&R in between my 2nd & 3rd stints in the SAS and found my time in the legion to be a very enjoyable year. Go for it OP.

**Silly questions get silly answers**

John_D80 wrote: »
    April/May is gorgeous in North Africa. Especially with all the time off the Legion gives its recruits.

I needed some R&R in between my 2nd & 3rd stints in the SAS and found my time in the legion to be a very enjoyable year. Go for it OP.

**Silly questions get silly answers**

What is the leave typically?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,739 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What is the leave typically?

I think you get home for Xmas, Easter, Valentines and Hallowe'en.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

My sons friend (20) nearly did this last year. He decided that it was the life or him, despite what people advised him. And for him, there was no catalyst other than failing the Irish Army test by a couple of seconds, and he is a very fit young man.
    So he went for a few weeks, and got so ill he had to come home, supposed to to return to sign his final papers. Once he got back home, he didn't want to go back.
    Use your bitcoin money to do an education course and an exotic adventure holiday, if you want to feel 'alive'. Seriously, you'd get some culture & body shock from the rigors of training and the speaking french all the time, if you're not used to these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Did you trade the land cruiser yet?

• Advertisement

TresGats wrote: »
    My sons friend (20) nearly did this last year. He decided that it was the life or him, despite what people advised him. And for him, there was no catalyst other than failing the Irish Army test by a couple of seconds, and he is a very fit young man.
    So he went for a few weeks, and got so ill he had to come home, supposed to to return to sign his final papers. Once he got back home, he didn't want to go back.
    Use your bitcoin money to do an education course and an exotic adventure holiday, if you want to feel 'alive'. Seriously, you'd get some culture & body shock from the rigors of training and the speaking french all the time, if you're not used to these.

Well that's kind of what I am after that shock of being out of my comfort zone and needing to learn a new language and skills cos my life will depend on it.

Advertisement