Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

North inner city turning into war zone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Have you been in the areas mentioned?

The place has lost it, it is okay in daylight hours, just about but after dark i dare any boardsie to allow their child walk through the area.

How can this be allowed happen on our main street. Sucessive failure of governments to sort out Dublin.

You had 20 squad cars breaking up a shebeen in Swords yet there is a crisis right outside Store Street station. Any faith in AGS is lost from myself.

I live in the north inner city thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I live in the north inner city thanks.

And can you give your input? You happy with what is happening at the moment?

You seen the areas I have described? I cant imagine anybody whould be happy to see what is happening there at the moment.

And I must reinfore the fact It is the last place I would talk down. I have worked place last 15 years and usually stick up for it to to the death but it has changed in the last 12 months. Can't you see you that or am I missing something? Unsure how you can defend what has happened my town?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

And to people who say i've exagerrated with the headline, perhaps I have....It is only a war zone between 6 and 9pm, before it is just ridicilous to think our main thoroughfare has descended into this level of ****e.

Surely the chap who stays around there now as new Minister, Simon Harris, should speak up and sort the place out for once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

With the weather improving im sure they will be all out like packs of mercs

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭topdecko

Not been in Dublin city centre in recent years. I did live there for a decade till 2010.
    returned again and wandered about the odd time in the last few years and there was an obvious change in the atmosphere and the number of homeless/beggars all over the city, especially around O'Connell street etc. It was a dirty , messy vista and as such i don't venture near the place now if i can avoid it.
    Assume only worse now in COVID times as marked loss footfall workers etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

City is an absolute kip.....

Travel on public transport and you won't be questioned once by the Gardai...

Work hard, go out in your car.... Boom, where are you going.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I was in town this afternoon, not northside mind. Place is actually looking really well, helped by the nice weather. It's so much nicer without traffic, which was minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭dmigsy

A lot of melodramatics and scaremongering in this thread. "War zone" gave me a laugh - the lads in Syria might disagree.

I've lived in the city centre (Dublin 1) for the last 20 years, and I love living here. There's not a street or lane I'd be concerned about walking down at any time of day (I'm not a big, scary-looking dude either). Town has been much quieter the last year with way fewer beggars and bogeys around. They are possibly more visible given the significant drop in footfall but definitely way fewer.

The Gardai are as useless as they've always been. They're underfunded and undertrained and you get what you pay for. They're only part of the solution to anti-social behaviour anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I was in town this afternoon, not northside mind. Place is actually looking really well, helped by the nice weather. It's so much nicer without traffic, which was minimal.

Yes, it was particularly nice around Grafton Street and GPO, wasn't it? The fireworks added to the festive atmosphere, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

How about a 'drunk tank' to round up those causing trouble keep them there for 24 hrs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

saabsaab wrote: »
    How about a 'drunk tank' to round up those causing trouble keep them there for 24 hrs?

And then burn then drunk tank to the ground. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Met 2 mates for whiskeys in the park beside St. Patrick's Cathedral earlier, there were girls drinking prosecco. Was awful...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Moore Street is gone pretty bad aswell. Loads of groups of foreigners hanging around. I seen a video on WhatsApp of a fight there last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/08dc0-taoiseach-and-ministers-meet-with-north-inner-city-community-coalition/

That was three weeks ago
    (...)
    Today, the Taoiseach Micheál Martin, Minister Helen McEntee, Minister Paschal Donohoe, Minister of State James Browne and Senator Mary Fitzpatrick met with members of the North Inner City Community Coalition to discuss recent violent incidents in the area.

The meeting also offered an opportunity for the local community to outline their concerns and put forward a number of ideas to address the current situation.

Following the meeting, Taoiseach Micheál Martin said:

"I extend my deepest sympathies to all those impacted by the shocking incidents which have taken place in Dublin in recent weeks. This sort of behaviour cannot continue, and I know that the Minister for Justice and Garda Commissioner have been meeting this week to discuss a plan to tackle these recent incidents.

"An Garda Síochána has a comprehensive policing plan in place in Dublin’s north inner city which will see high visibility patrols carried out on a daily basis, with a particular focus on the areas where public order and related offending has taken place in recent weeks.

"We need strong community engagement, increased community safety and enhanced youth services in order to reduce and prevent crime, and my Government is determined that this will be delivered. There will be outreach and information programmes, run in a number of different languages, for all communities, as well as youth justice and other interventions."

Acknowledging the effect that recent violent incidents have had on the local community, Minister for Justice Helen McEntee said:

"People must not be afraid to leave their homes because of a small minority who are determined to cause harm to others. The safety of the community in Dublin’s north inner city is a priority for us all.
    (...)

The area was never here really safe - over the years people offered to me couple of times most likely stolen goods, drug dealing in open day light, theft, the occasional stabbing/murder...

It just deteriorated further with the lockdown - e.g. with the ferals chasing and attacking Deliveroo drivers - even the government accepts that there is a problem as per above link. So I wonder how some here pretend all is grand.
    Yes other cities have also issues - but these are mostly in the suburbs, less in City Center.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Yes, it was particularly nice around Grafton Street and GPO, wasn't it? The fireworks added to the festive atmosphere, right?

I was at Grafton st and there were crowds, didn't see the fireworks, but yes it was actually a nice atmosphere.

Spray a sticky blue non wasable dye over those who don't disperse?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Two weeks at around 12:15 pm a guy had one of his ears bitten off. He was on the LUAS which had just stopped at the Busaras stop when it happened. Before the pandemic, this would not have happened in broad daylight and by Busaras and a stone's throw from Store St Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Two weeks at around 12:15 pm a guy had one of his ears bitten off. He was on the LUAS which had just stopped at the Busaras stop when it happened. Before the pandemic, this would not have happened in broad daylight and by Busaras and a stone's throw from Store St Station.

That really sounds like out of "28 days later".

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Duke of Schomberg

I've just been reading through the thread. Are things really this bad? I've walked from O'Connell Station through to the Parnell Sq Maldron Hotel after the last Enterprise down from Belfast on numerous occasions - trailing my wheelie-case behind me (ie. advertising visitor/tourist) prior to last March, and never seen any sign of trouble or felt remotely intimidated or uneasy. I'm a Special Constable in the West Yorkshire Police, so I'm aware of the risks in any major city when out and about in the late evening - but perhaps the next time I'm back I'll have to pay more attention to my surroundings . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Are things really this bad?

No. This website and the media are expert at making the exception out to be the rule.

• Advertisement

I've just been reading through the thread. Are things really this bad? I've walked from O'Connell Station through to the Parnell Sq Maldron Hotel after the last Enterprise down from Belfast on numerous occasions - trailing my wheelie-case behind me (ie. advertising visitor/tourist) prior to last March, and never seen any sign of trouble or felt remotely intimidated or uneasy. I'm a Special Constable in the West Yorkshire Police, so I'm aware of the risks in any major city when out and about in the late evening - but perhaps the next time I'm back I'll have to pay more attention to my surroundings . . .

Yes people talk a lot of rubbish. It's not dangerous but there are some addicts around the place and homeless people, but they don't go near you.

Just saw a report of a woman being chased by up to 20 Garda cars including armed support and a helicopter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭crushproof

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/edinburgh-woman-bit-off-mans-tongue-in-street-brawl-before-seagull-swooped-down-and-ate-it-3141625

Edinburgh woman bit off man’s tongue in street brawl before seagull swooped down and ate it
    A man who had a large chunk of his tongue bitten off by a female thug was left horrified when a seagull swooped down and ate it.

Just goes to show every city has it's fair share of problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

crushproof wrote: »
    https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/edinburgh-woman-bit-off-mans-tongue-in-street-brawl-before-seagull-swooped-down-and-ate-it-3141625

Edinburgh woman bit off man’s tongue in street brawl before seagull swooped down and ate it

Just goes to show every city has it's fair share of problems!

In fairness if this was a thread about the scourge of inner city seagulls there would be a lot more consensus.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Just saw a report of a woman being chased by up to 20 Garda cars including armed support and a helicopter!

The woman was in a motorised vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

This kind of thing has happened a few times over the past couple of years. Has someone in Garda management been watching a few too many 70s Hollywood car chase movies?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Her Facebook and Instagram were taken down, she was live streaming it...

https://twitter.com/Nicole_Cummins1/status/1366497664016265221?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mollydog123

I'm 52 years living a mile from the city centre and there have always been stories about how bad it was. Other than having a bicycle stolen from beside Eason's in the 80's Ive never seen anything bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

get a special military style police division set up specifically to tackle this problem and send them in to batter the fcuk outta these maggots on a daily basis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm 52 years living a mile from the city centre and there have always been stories about how bad it was. Other than having a bicycle stolen from beside Eason's in the 80's Ive never seen anything bad.

I've seen assaults, been assaulted myself few occasions, threats, scum running wild, drug dealers openly dealing, people peeing and sh1tting everywhere, thefts, much much more.
    I don't live in the city, never did but work there and around years.

Advertisement