Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Proper old school Dublin pubs thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

markest wrote: »
    O'Loughlin's, 26 George's Street Lower, Dun Laoghaire, Dublin, A96 KP62

Seeing as Dún Laoghaire is being brought into the mix.

McKennas (aka the yacht tavern) on Wellington Street. Many a happy Sunday afternoons spent there. Shutters down for holy hour. Around to the Miami for a few bags of chips while the barman buttered a slice pan worth of bread.

Fup you covid. Fup you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hartigans has a planning app in to modernise the jacks and smoking area, which I suspect may kill the ambience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I was in one in Dun Laoighaire in 2010, and they weren't using cash registers just had money in a box, and they poured the pints of Guinness in one go, never saw that before. I'm pretty sure the jacks was some shack out the back that you had to go outside to get to. Sometimes I think it was just a dream.
    I've walked around DL a few times since, most recently during lockdown last year and I think it may have been the one called Dunphy's, I couldn't go in as it was closed obviously
    Can anyone back me up here?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was in one in Dun Laoighaire in 2010, and they weren't using cash registers just had money in a box, and they poured the pints of Guinness in one go, never saw that before. I'm pretty sure the jacks was some shack out the back that you had to go outside to get to. Sometimes I think it was just a dream.
    I've walked around DL a few times since, most recently during lockdown last year and I think it may have been the one called Dunphy's, I couldn't go in as it was closed obviously
    Can anyone back me up here?

Not Dunphys. O'Loughlins / Lockies. And you weren't dreaming.

Still no cash register. Jacks have been modernised (actually its an entire new portakabin with new plumbed toilets/sinks and dryers, like you get on a fancy building site) however. Was in a few months before lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

L1011 wrote: »

Still no cash register. Jacks have been modernised (actually its an entire new portakabin with new plumbed toilets/sinks and dryers, like you get on a fancy building site) however. Was in a few months before lockdown

I've been in every pub in dun Laoghaire except Lockie's. Must put that right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Ok great, my friends got a place out that way recently so we had been planning on doing a pub crawl whenever that becomes an option (2075 or whenever).
    Do they always pull pints of Guinness in one? They were 100% doing that. I don't see why it's a problem if the head is the right size anyway.

I can't remember, I have had a Guinness there on at least one of my visits but I wasn't paying much attention. I don't care if its poured in one, two or seventy pours once it comes out right (and it absolutely can from a single pour - the two-part pour was a marketing decision to keep delivery times slow, as the change from cask to keg resulted in an insane speed-up)

O’Neill’s on Pearse st

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

O’Neill’s on Pearse st

Pity Widow Scallans is gone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The Pav.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

raheny red wrote: »
    The Sheds, Clontarf.

Gravediggers.

McGraths, Drumcondra.

The Cedars, Raheny.

Agree on all these. Haven't been in McGrath's in years though. Phil McGrath used to run a tight old school place. I remember him roaring some young lad out of it for putting his feet up on the chairs. Proper order. It used to be such a nice place to go for a quiet drink without rowdy scangers - certainly in comparison to its nearest neighbour Cooke's/McGovern's/Quinn's.

When we are allowed back, the Gravediggers will be my first port of call and sure I could stroll down to McGrath's afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

spurious wrote: »
    Agree on all these. Haven't been in McGrath's in years though. Phil McGrath used to run a tight old school place. I remember him roaring some young lad out of it for putting his feet up on the chairs. Proper order. It used to be such a nice place to go for a quiet drink without rowdy scangers - certainly in comparison to its nearest neighbour Cooke's/McGovern's/Quinn's.

When we are allowed back, the Gravediggers will be my first port of call and sure I could stroll down to McGrath's afterwards.

Cooke’s/McGovern’s/Quinn’s, one of the worst pub’s I’ve ever darkened the door of!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Walshes of Stoneybatter. I used to go there before it was cool.
    No really I did, back in the early 2000s I had a flat around there and then I went again in around 2018 and the interior had totally changed and it was a beardfest.
    It was nothing like that back in the day.
    Best pint of Guinness in the world for me, before it was cool of course.

My favourite two now are Bowes and Nearys. Oh man I can't wait to go back and pound Guinness.

I think I was only in Nearys the once years ago so have no real opinions but Bowes I like, nice to stop in there for a couple prior to a gig in the Olympia, always such a pain in the ass trying to get a pint in that venue...only a short stroll then to the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Well, since we've wandered out to the south County, I nominate Byrnes, at Galloping Green;

Had an open fire and no pretenses, last time I looked. A most excellent honest simple pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

You obviously haven't been there for a long time. A lot of "ethnic cleansing" went on to move its character.

What does that mean? Lived round the corner of 5 years and don't think much has changed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Caranica wrote: »
    Fallon's in the Liberties. An ex used to live close by so we spent a bit of time there. Definitely old style

I really like this place. Have been in on a bright, cold winter's day after a work meeting for a cup of tea and read of the paper (was bursting for the jacks and I don't like using a place with paying for something). It stands out as one of those lovely calm moments in an otherwise busy day.

I thought the place was known for attracting a sort of artsy crowd sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Walshs in Stoneybatter.

I raise you its superior neighbour, O'Gara's.

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Well, since we've wandered out to the south County, I nominate Byrnes, at Galloping Green;

Had an open fire and no pretenses, last time I looked. A most excellent honest simple pub.

That's a stonking spot. We were only talking about a night out a gaggle of us had there 3 years ago. There's an infamous picture, that we can't seem to locate tight now, of a tray of stout so beautiful that we all genuinely caught our breaths looking at head of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

O’Connell’s south Richmond st

Briodys Marlborough st

Both family run. Spotless ., no bull**** and fantastic Guinness

Twee. wrote: »
    The Glen/Jack's in Inchicore still doesn't take card, been caught out a few times down there, can never remember!

Strawberry Hall is another one that doesn't take card, great pub though and family run.

I brought some friends who were visiting Dublin to Fallon's a while back as we were in the area and they wanted to try some different whiskeys. Fallon's would have been known for a good selection but that seems to have changed a lot, I was disappointed with what was on offer.

Bowe's and the Long Hall would be favourites of mine in town, I like the Palace too but it can get very crowded.

Kennedy's on Burgh quay didn't take card for years either and it was gas watching blow-ins deal with it.

The Glen is my local and more than anything I can't wait to get back there. The Lion isn't close to being an acceptable substitute.

I think my favourite bars all sit along a very narrow thematic strip...

The Glen
    The Bird Flanagan
    Briody's
    Hartigan's
    Kennedy's Thomas St
    O'Connell's Richmond St
    Cleary's Amiens St
    Frank Ryan's
    O'Gara's
    McGettigan's (one of the few pubs ever that the redo didn't make me hate it)
    Grace's Rathmines
    Slattery's Rathmines

And the dearly departed...

Kennedy's Burgh Quay
    Sackville Lounge (is it gone gone?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Hartigans has a planning app in to modernise the jacks and smoking area, which I suspect may kill the ambience.

Can you link?

dobman88 wrote: »
    Tom Mayes, Dorset street/top of frederick street. Had to meet a chap there for match tickets one time and been back loads of times since. Bit rough around the edges but never felt unsafe. Definition of an old school boozer for me.

Mayes is a great shop.

That quintessential old school vibe of a load of Sandwiches at the end of the night thrown down on the tables. Glorious.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Kennedy's on Burgh quay didn't take card for years either and it was gas watching blow-ins deal with it.

The Glen is my local and more than anything I can't wait to get back there. The Lion isn't close to being an acceptable substitute.

The Glen is a great spot alright, always have Manhattan crisps too which is always a plus in my book :D Wish there was an ATM closer by though!

Twee. wrote: »
    The Glen is a great spot alright, always have Manhattan crisps too which is always a plus in my book :D Wish there was an ATM closer by though!

Garage and Spar are close enough. I mean, you don't want the place overrun and ruined like the Oak.

I have to pass the garage on the way sure. Anyway, Joe tends to know I'm good for it if I forget 😉

Once they don't change the newspapers from the 1948 grand slam* I'll be fine. I must have read those papers a thousand times!**

**So * better be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Merlin44

The Hut phibsboro or Toners 2 good ones either side of town

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Once they don't change the newspapers from the 1948 grand slam* I'll be fine. I must have read those papers a thousand times!**

**So * better be right.

I was actually thinking about that when I read it and then trying to remember the score, was the score like 5-4?

Can you link?

deeplinking DCC planning usually breaks after a few hours

Search site: https://webapps.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/wphappcriteria.display

Planning file: 3441/20

Totally remove old jacks, build out new jacks and two function rooms plus kitchens - may be important if dining pubs rules keep around.

They actually got the permission at the end of November, my track of time is shot, I could have sworn it only went in around Christmas and was for decision now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

The Villager Chapelizod

Best pub in Dublin for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

Hughes' Bar on Chancery St behind the Four Courts always had great lunches. Very traditional and nice staff too.

Advertisement