Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brexit Consumer Issues Megathread

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

Darc19 wrote: »
    €50 clearance paperwork, 21% vat on item incl delivery charge.

Possible duty depending on product and country of origin. If UK made, no duty.

Thanks, they are bathroom supplies made in UK.

Jeez 21% is steep.

Wont be able to stomach any further costs

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SVI40

I've just had a warranty repair shipped back from GB via UPS. Was purchased in NI 2 years ago. Nice big COD charge of €34.62 on it, which was not collected by the driver, just left it at the door, thankfully.

I'm now expecting an invoice from them, but if they had read the paper work, it stipulated a warranty repair of £0.00 charge, but had a value of £55.00 for insurance. I've no doubt I'll be passed from Billy to Jack on this one, when I don't pay the expected invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

SVI40 wrote: »
    I've just had a warranty repair shipped back from GB via UPS. Was purchased in NI 2 years ago. Nice big COD charge of €34.62 on it, which was not collected by the driver, just left it at the door, thankfully.

I'm now expecting an invoice from them, but if they had read the paper work, it stipulated a warranty repair of £0.00 charge, but had a value of £55.00 for insurance. I've no doubt I'll be passed from Billy to Jack on this one, when I don't pay the expected invoice.

I think you would have needed to declare that when sending it our of the country. Revenue have a section on sending items oue of EU for repair.
    If you didn't make the declarations when sending it then I imagine vat is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SVI40

rock22 wrote: »
    I think you would have needed to declare that when sending it our of the country. Revenue have a section on sending items oue of EU for repair.
    If you didn't make the declarations when sending it then I imagine vat is due.

I did try before I send it, but the person in the Post Office had no idea. There is supposed to be a form there for exactly this.

I have the original receipt, so I'm fine for not paying, but if the courier had actually read the paper work that was included, they would have seen "warranty repair" and the big fat charge of "0.00" on the form.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

SVI40 wrote: »
    I did try before I send it, but the person in the Post Office had no idea. There is supposed to be a form there for exactly this.

I have the original receipt, so I'm fine for not paying, but if the courier had actually read the paper work that was included, they would have seen "warranty repair" and the big fat charge of "0.00" on the form.

They also saw a big fat value for insurance, and no paperwork to say it was a return. Everything coming in from outside the EU has to be cleared and VAT paid under a certain value, unless declared as a return after repair. I'd blame An Post rather than the courier. Anyone clearing customs is well aware of people under declaring, putting down as gifts etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

I assume that customs applied the vat amount, not the Courier, who only collect it. There would also be a fee from UPS for that collection which you will have to pay regardless.
    You could contact revenue - there is an appeal process which I think has to done within 30 days

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

A quick glance through the related threads on this just puts me off shopping altogether.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

rock22 wrote: »
    I assume that customs applied the vat amount, not the Courier, who only collect it. There would also be a fee from UPS for that collection which you will have to pay regardless.
    You could contact revenue - there is an appeal process which I think has to done within 30 days

Couriers are authorised by customs to do the customs clearance. They probably just used the value for insurance in the absence of paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭dodzy

Absolutely... but I think sadly you'll find that getting the Taric code and country of origin is an enormous hassle for the average person to do.

Made ridiculously complex....for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I'd like to buy a media player from cpcireland.farnell.com. Specifically a Vero 4K+ (official OSMC media box)

https://cpcireland.farnell.com/osmc/osmc-vero4kplus-uk/vero-4k-uhd-media-streaming-box/dp/SC15138#

€111.87 (€135.36 Inc. VAT)

I presume cpcireland are Irish VAT registered. I get the feeling the item will be drop shipped from the UK.

What am I liable for? I know the item is under 150 euro. But am I still exposed to the scam of a handling charge of some sort?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,405 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Amalgam wrote: »
    I'd like to buy a media player from cpcireland.farnell.com. Specifically a Vero 4K+ (official OSMC media box)

https://cpcireland.farnell.com/osmc/osmc-vero4kplus-uk/vero-4k-uhd-media-streaming-box/dp/SC15138#

€111.87 (€135.36 Inc. VAT)

I presume cpcireland are Irish VAT registered. I get the feeling the item will be drop shipped from the UK.

What am I liable for? I know the item is under 150 euro. But am I still exposed to the scam of a handling charge of some sort?

They're charging the Irish VAT rate so should be fine. Delivery charges may be dangerously close to putting it over the €150 limit though.

What if delivery charges are free or paid by thecompany does one still need to pay delivery charges?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Farnell mostly dispatch from France to Ireland now. Certain items are totally unavailable due to use of air freight.

ebayissues wrote: »
    What if delivery charges are free or paid by thecompany does one still need to pay delivery charges?

Anyone?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A valuation for delivery may be added to the calculation. It's better to get an actual amount stated on an invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone knows what the best course of action is for a company that seemingly won't issue a refund for undelivered products? Like many people I got caught out thinking I was buying from an Irish company only to find it was actually a UK company.

Long (very long!) story short I bought some stuff totalling several hundred Euro in two separate orders from Viking Direct in January that advertised 1-2 day delivery. 6 weeks later I still have neither order and despite requesting a refund more than 2 weeks ago I still have no money. I also haven't had a single email or communication since ordering to let me know of delays or to confirm cancellation.

As you can see from the hundreds and hundreds of one star reviews on trustpilot they're essentially operating as criminals in the Irish market at the moment, still advertising 1-2 day delivery, taking everyone's money, not sending anything then not issuing refunds..

https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/www.vikingdirect.ie

I've made a complaint to ccpc.ie but just wondering what other options I have to get my money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

Viking are brutal. Get on to their live chat. Even then it will take 14 days to get a refund but you will eventually get it.

Thats a pity. Viking used to be so good, quick deliveries, good pricing. Brexit has really messed up quite a few good sources like Screwfix, Cross pens and Viking. Currys were always brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

whiterebel wrote: »
    Thats a pity. Viking used to be so good, quick deliveries, good pricing. Brexit has really messed up quite a few good sources like Screwfix, Cross pens and Viking. Currys were always brutal.

Viking were mostly brutal before Brexit. They couldn't handle the demand for office furniture and supplies. I ordered a chair that showed as in stock and it took months to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Caranica wrote: »
    Viking are brutal. Get on to their live chat. Even then it will take 14 days to get a refund but you will eventually get it.

Already talked to chat as well as multiple calls to their South African call centre who just parrot the 'brexit issues' line and don't offer any solutions. They say 5-14 days for refund but looking at trustpilot people are waiting since January and still haven't got their money back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I ordered an item (approx €24) from a supplier in Dublin. After much delay I phoned him and he said something about customs. I asked him was it coming from UK, that I thought I had ordered it from Dublin. He said it was coming from France. I said there would not be any customs in that case and he said something about it coming through the UK.

He offered me a refund, but I would rather have the item so I said I would wait. On the one hand he said he had ordered a large number, on the other hand he said it would come directly to my address, so I have no idea what the set up was. He sounded genuine but clueless.

I would contact someone in government to say that it should be clear where you are ordering from on an Irish website, to avoid this kind of 'through the UK' nonsense. Any suggestions who would be the best person to contact - I am sure others have done this, but numbers can make a difference.

Advertisement