Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New, unregistered Irish-bought car from 1976 - where do I start?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Hasn't been started in years - but there was nothing wrong with it when parked up so should be too difficult to get it up and running - I've see a few great little campervan conversions done on these (online only) - they're very cute!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭CodeJACK

Awesome story, sorry I missed out of the charity sale, would love to have seen that.

Those MZs were unreal. I've been looking for a stroke to bring back to life but ill keep looking.
    You mentioned a Kawasaki 250? Any pics?

Thanks a million for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1601457473364492/ Sorry last post was the wrong link this is a 51 mile 504 .. excuse me for using the best thread on Boards

CodeJACK wrote: »
    You mentioned a Kawasaki 250? Any pics?

Here's a pic - not a great one I'm afraid, coz there's a lot of clutter. It was my brother's until he got his first car - was parked up about 20 - 25 years ago - running fine at the time, no probs - Not sure of the year probably late eighties, early nineties, nor am I sure of the mileage off hand. Can obviously find out more if you're interested (just pm me).

Nice bike to ride as far as i recall - I remember being impressed at how pokey it was for just 250cc the one time i went for a spin on it back i the day

Thanks, AB.

kawasaki.jpg

• Advertisement

It's late on a Friday night, but I figure it's time for a quick update on this thread now that we're hopefully exiting lockdown and (fingers crossed) returning to some semblance of normality.

Thanks to a contact made here on Boards, the little Daihatsu Hijet has now found a new home - one where I know she will be a lot better looked after than she was here!! She left the old man's homestead a few days ago, seeing daylight for the first time since 1990 and looking a little lost on her big (almost too big) transporter - those ramps were nearly too far apart but we managed!!!

The new owner has already been in touch to say that with a new battery and a drop of petrol the little 850cc engine roared(!!!) into life, and with just 20,000 miles on the clock I hope there's plenty life left in that mighty motor.

Also pictured below are the two new MZ bikes (both 1980 and both unregistered) - they also found a new home, are now running perfectly and they've even made it to the cover of a magazine since their departure just before lockdown.

It's absolutely wonderful to see these vehicles being appreciated by their new owners who (unlike myself) have the expertise and the time to spend bringing them back to life. And it's also great to be able to use their sale as a way to continue raising money for the charities my Dad supported.

Substantial donations (I won't say actual amounts as I respect the privacy of the new owners) have been raised for The Irish Kidney Association and Cope Foundation through the sale of both the van and the bikes. And for that, both I and my mother are extremely grateful.

More pics to follow as we slowly make our way through the vehicles. With the van out of the way, I have relatively good access to the 1967 Mercedes 190, so I'll get a shot of that up here soon :-)

IMG-5476.jpg

Screenshot-2020-03-16-at-22-29-12.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭con747

Good to see them out and about:)

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Fair play mate, great that the charities are getting the benefits. You're a gentleman!

Can't wait to see pictures of the Merc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

This is one of the best threads to come out of Boards for a very long time.

After the suggestions at the start that the OP may have been trolling I think it's shown that we shouldn't be so cynical.

Fair play for the charitable donations too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Love the little van on the giant trailer. Glad things are moving, this is a great thread.
    alfa beta wrote: »
    Substantial donations (I won't say actual amounts as I respect the privacy of the new owners) have been raised for The Irish Kidney Association and Cope Foundation through the sale of both the van and the bikes. And for that, both I and my mother are extremely grateful

My son is cared for by the Cope Foundation (ASD and ID) so just wanted to say thanks on this classy note too. Greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

They feel small on any car trailer ... I tell you ..

Here is when I picked mine up first:

23258859434_5c681aaebb_b.jpg

It felt extremely lost on that 3.5t Brenderup car trailer.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I have just seen this thread for the first time today. I know nothing about restoring vehicles, my jam is old arcade machines and electronics.
    I have still read every word of this thread.
    It is like our modern day archeology.
    Your dad would have been proud of all you have done here.

@ Alfa Beta- did you mention earlier on in this thread that you had a whole load of non-motors stuff for sale also? Is there a separate thread for that or an auction/adverts thread that are for sale? Or did I just imagine that?

@ Alfa Beta- did you mention earlier on in this thread that you had a whole load of non-motors stuff for sale also? Is there a separate thread for that or an auction/adverts thread that are for sale? Or did I just imagine that?

Yes - there was a lot of old stock left in Dad's shop after he passed away. We opened up the shop for a few days in March and had a big charity sale (just before the Covid lock down) and sold the vast mahority of the stock. Clocks, old electrics, furniture, picture frames, tools, silverware, china, gifts etc. We raised 23k for charity with that sale and we've supplemented that amount since. There is a small amount of stuff left over but we need to go through it to check condition (especially clocks) and see if it's sellable before we do anything more. Right now I've no real plans to put it online on donedeal, adverts etc, (very time consuming) but if I do I'll drop you a pm and probably pop a quick a post up here. (To be honest I'm more likely to car-boot it over time when things open up fully again.) - thanks for your interest btw :-)

alfa beta wrote: »
    Yes - there was a lot of old stock left in Dad's shop after he passed away. We opened up the shop for a few days in March and had a big charity sale (just before the Covid lock down) and sold the vast mahority of the stock. Clocks, old electrics, furniture, picture frames, tools, silverware, china, gifts etc. We raised 23k for charity with that sale and we've supplemented that amount since. There is a small amount of stuff left over but we need to go through it to check condition (especially clocks) and see if it's sellable before we do anything more. Right now I've no real plans to put it online on donedeal, adverts etc, (very time consuming) but if I do I'll drop you a pm and probably pop a quick a post up here. (To be honest I'm more likely to car-boot it over time when things open up fully again.) - thanks for your interest btw :-)

Would be delighted with a PM if/when you decide to move forward with those items. Many thanks again also for such an engaging and interesting thread. :)

One of my favourites, the lovely 1982 Honda CX650 Custom (originally from West Virginia) has now also found an enthusiastic new owner. Very little to do to this to get it up and running, free up the clutch, clean the carburetor, new tyres, new front indicators, brake fluid and I'd say she'll be back on the road. Thankfully staying local, so I'm looking forward to seeing her out and about again. (Also some more cash for charity at a time when fundraising is more than a little tricky :))

On another note, I started uncovering the 1967 Merc earlier and clearing away some of the junk around it, so I will definitely have a couple of pics of that car up here tomorrow :-)

IMG-5247.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,872 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

CXs still have a very loyal following. Unfortunately most of the Irish examples were couriered to death years ago.

Life ain't always empty.

Slightly later than anticipated, but below now are a couple of shots of the uncovered Mercedes Benz 190. I think it's about 1967 and the TPI reg suggests that sort of year too. I remember it being driven occasionally when I was a nipper, late 70's most likely. I remember the way the doors used to close with this solid thunk, unlike any other car I knew at the time, and how the red leather interior made you feel you werre sitting into some sort of limo!! And I particularly remember the little square clock on the dash - there was something very stylish about that clock and that entire car.

I've no idea why it was bought or why its usage came to a halt. I don't think there was anything wrong with it when it was parked up and currently the interior is in great condition. (I'll get a couple of shots of the inside soon if I can get better access.)

It had a gas conversion done to it in the mid seventies. It was probably a bit of a gas guzzler and perhaps the expense of running it was what led it to being parked up. I know that in the years after this was on the road, the old man turned to small fiats (127s and then ritmos) so perhaps fuel prices and consumption started becoming more of an issue when it came to buying cars.

I would love to get this car ship shape. It ticks all the 'classic' boxes in my view. A lot of work to be done to it, but it's definitely one I'd be interested in spending a few bob on.

Also pictured below is the VW variant (Squareback) mentioned a few times much earlier in this thread. Before my time, and parked up ever since my parents' honeymoon (a honeymoon that ended up with them literally pushing this car home!!) in 1970.

Thanks as always to everyone for all the likes and comments and general interest in this thread. It's great being able to share these old vehicles with you and I love reading all your replies and commments.

Next job is to move the VW backwards. This will then allow full access to the VW, the Merc and the Peugeot and mean we can maybe start planning what to do with them.

The other cars still covered are a Morris 8 and an MG midget. I'll get to those some other day. :-)

IMG-5508.jpg

IMG-5507.jpg

IMG-5505.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi Alpha Beta - are you keeping anything for yourself out of the entire lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

You have to keep that Merc. You'll probably never see another original Irish one again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

You have to keep that Merc. You'll probably never see another original Irish one again.

True, and probably an Irish-assembled one (there's a digit in the chassis number that will tell you if it was assembled from a kit).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,872 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The road tax on the Merc would have been a shocker, maybe that's why it was parked up despite the gas conversion.

There will be people creaming themselves over that Squareback :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

galwaytt wrote: »
    Gosh OP - sorry for your loss, but your story sounds like a life well lived.

And got me to thinking about my Dad.....still with us, but Def a man of his own mind. He too is....eccentric. ....and inclined to collect all manner of stuff. Cars, farm machinery, etc. Last time I checked there were.....22 cars at home.....originally a boat builder and carpenter he went through lots of phases. ...and he plays music as well. We, my generation, really haven't a fraction of the talent our parents had: much of theirs learned by economic necessity.

He lives frugally, has no interest in creature comforts. He buys cars no one wants, cos he likes them. S-Class. 7-Series. LS400. etc etc. He bought an 02 540i a while ago. "Why?" I asked......."because I've always wanted to see the inside of a V8" came the reply....

He's why I'm a petrol head. And builder. And.....everything else..

Must pop over again. Mustn't leave things unsaid. Life's too short.

I'll deal with the collection when the time is right.

Thanks for the reminder.

I posted that on Page 4.....who knew this would turn into the best thread on boards.ie by a mile ??

Anyway, I did what said id do and started visiting, albeit sporadically due to Covid19 - but at 78+ yrs age, there was that to worry about too. Thankfully he's the happiest cocooner I've ever met, surrounded by his collection.

Mind you, it didn't stop his tally of cars increasing....he's added 3 Minis, a W211 and an 03 S Class ......

I delved into the bowels of the place and note the Trevi and W111 are still there, but my one-owner 1200 Beetle is dead....too much stuff piled on it methinks, and roof collapsed.....sigh...

.....it'll be a few years yet, my thread-in-the-making, methinks

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I'd love t see pictures of the trevi

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Anything happening with the cub?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

The VW variant must have been the passion vaggen on the honeymoon. Was it suspension failure that killed it?

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Anything happening with the cub?

Hi Cobo - my brother has decided to try his hand at getting that back on the road. I'll be dropping it to him in the next few days (It's a bit of a cross country trek!) - However, if it ends up sitting in another shed or if he changes his mind I'll keep you posted!!

Odelay wrote: »
    The VW variant must have been the passion vaggen on the honeymoon. Was it suspension failure that killed it?

shudder .... i don't even want to think about that sort of thing!!!

Hi Alpha Beta - are you keeping anything for yourself out of the entire lot?

Hard to know what will be kept and what will be sold as of yet - I'd love to keep the merc and get it into car-show condition sometime. The 504 will definitely be kept for the time being. And the midget (yet to be uncovered) is probably a keeper too. As regards the bikes I think we'll hang onto the Harley (as that was a present for the old fella from my mum) and one of the Honda 50's. All the tractors will probably go (two Fergusons, a little Zetor and a Ford 3000) but I'm in no rush with any of them.

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    I posted that on Page 4.....who knew this would turn into the best thread on boards.ie by a mile ??

Anyway, I did what said id do and started visiting, albeit sporadically due to Covid19 - but at 78+ yrs age, there was that to worry about too. Thankfully he's the happiest cocooner I've ever met, surrounded by his collection.

Mind you, it didn't stop his tally of cars increasing....he's added 3 Minis, a W211 and an 03 S Class ......

I delved into the bowels of the place and note the Trevi and W111 are still there, but my one-owner 1200 Beetle is dead....too much stuff piled on it methinks, and roof collapsed.....sigh...

.....it'll be a few years yet, my thread-in-the-making, methinks

I have a feeling your old man would have got on rather handsomely with mine!!!

Advertisement