Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

!!The 4th dimension!! (Re Opened!)

• 30-10-2001 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Hmm...
    Occy!! "WATCH THIS SPACE!!!!"

Science fiction or science fact

Wormholes:
    Q: how do we travel back in time..
    A: We create a wormhole and this will allow us to travel back.

Q: Why have we not seen anyone from the future if time travel is possible?

A: To travel back in time, the time traveler is limited to traveling back to a time which a wormhole was originaly created.

Paradox:
    If you need to create a wormhole to travel back in time but are limited to traveling back to the original point that the wormhole is created, how do you travel back in time the 1st time?

Challanges?
    Objections?
    Observation?
    or just ignore this post :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by BoneCollector
    Paradox:
    If you need to create a wormhole to travel back in time but are limited to traveling back to the original point that the wormhole is created, how do you travel back in time the 1st time?
    Well from the info provided one can't travel back in time, and the point of creating a wormhole is to allow someone at a future date to travel back to the time of its creation...

Thus the reason we've never met anyone from the future is that we can not yet build a wormhole! damn i'm good! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

OK can we get off this one pleaaaaaaaaaaase.

We already covered this - just hope you don't all see the SCIENCE board as simply back to the feckin future revisited.

Y'know there ARE other things in science apart from trying to win the lotto by picking balls you came back through time with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

Science cannot consider the possibility of "wormholes" or traveling backwards through time. Creating an entity that allows travel back through time requires an infinite (ie, unachievable) amount of energy. Traveling back through time is also impossible, as it would then be possible to stop yourself going in the first place. Hawking hasn't taken the thinking any further, because it's pointless- an infinite amount of energy is simply not achievable, period.

The idea of traveling back in time belongs firmly in the universe of science fiction (especially Star Trek, whose writers keep returning to this theme). Show me a shred of evidence that such an occurence is possible. None? Well then.... *click*

And Bonecollector: Watch this space:

Finished? Good. If you persist in reposting threads I've locked, I'll keep locking them until it starts to annoy me. Then I'll go straight to the administrators and see what they have to say about it. Kapisch?

Occy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement