Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Falthyron wrote: »
    Threepio with a bowcaster and bandolier is making me think bullshít.
    Agreed. Gotta be a fan mashup.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I loved Star Wars so much but I just cant get excited about this one and it saddens me. The last Jedi was just awful. All of it.
    Princess Leia flying through space...I honestly didn't know where to look. I thought someone was doing a piss take.
    It was one of the worst scenes in movie history. And Luke dying on the rock, pathetic stuff. Now I just don't care what happens. Pity.

I'll admit that when I first saw TLJ I too was shocked by it. Thought those bits were daft and spoiled the film for me.

I then went to see it a 2nd time at the cinema, and I decided beforehand to ignore the silly bits, and assess the film if these didn't exist. Doing that, it wasn't a bad film!

As for the films, I was originally disappointed at TFA when it came out, but I think you have to remember that they aren't making these films for those people in their late 40s/early 50s, the original fans. They are trying to capture a new audience.

And I think they have. My young lad is into Star Wars and thinks the films are great, and he is the same age now as I was when I first seen Star Wars in 77. So its just different generations, and different markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'll admit that when I first saw TLJ I too was shocked by it. Thought those bits were daft and spoiled the film for me.

I then went to see it a 2nd time at the cinema, and I decided beforehand to ignore the silly bits, and assess the film if these didn't exist. Doing that, it wasn't a bad film!

As for the films, I was originally disappointed at TFA when it came out, but I think you have to remember that they aren't making these films for those people in their late 40s/early 50s, the original fans. They are trying to capture a new audience.

And I think they have. My young lad is into Star Wars and thinks the films are great, and he is the same age now as I was when I first seen Star Wars in 77. So its just different generations, and different markets.

There is also the fact that the market is now saturate with massive comicbook and children’s fantasy movies. Back when Star Wars was released there was nothing comparable anywhere near as popular as influential as it. It was also released every 3 years but you might have 4 massive movies in year targeted towards a similar audience.

I do think another issue was nostalgia and a failure to accept that any new SW was going to match how we felt about the originals growing up. The newer movies don’t have the same charm of the originalls but I know they aren’t made for me so I don’t get upset with what we got.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The aesthetic of the new movies can't be faulted. Even the new characters are (mostly) great, and will be a great transition from the old guard.

The problem is with the plots. TFA is like the OTs greatest hits. An unapologetic ripoff that I guess echoes the point that the movies are for a new generation. Many have never seen a Death Star destroy a planet, or have seen Han and Chewie lead a mission to take down a shield generator so the rebel fleet could attack.

The plot for TLJ was just the slowest space chase in history.

If for IX they could just add an original, 3-dimensional plot, to all the good stuff they've done then it'll be a hell of a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Disappointing box office take less than a billion
    Would that be Carrie Fisher's daughter in the Daft Punk helmet behind Poe?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Goodshape wrote: »
    Would that be Carrie Fisher's daughter in the Daft Punk helmet behind Poe?

No, most likely (and I'll spoiler this in case others don't want to know)
    Keri Russell's
    character.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Haha, i love how nobody is asking where Rose is :D

Whos the lady beside Chewy? Looks like Lando with a sex change..

I'd bet my money this is just fan made anyway, so much of it is just too dumb, red storm troopers :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah I didn't spot that wacky alien on the left; on reflection I think that has to be a fake; no way Disney would design something so ... goofy. They're not that foolish to repeat the Jar-Jar mistake again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Haha, the creature looks like a mutant Sea Monkey. You'd also have to question why they would slap the mask back on Kylo Ren. The more I look at the poster the more I hope it is genuinely fake, though I'll be annoyed if the Knights of Ren don't feature in the actual film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The costumes match up with other leaks. It is already known for example that Kylo has his mask back, so I’d say it’s real alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    This does not look at all like a legit poster we will see once they release something official. It's a hack job, the quality of the photos are more like from the front of toy merch, or from the books that show off the costumes and weapons.

If that is the quality of the initial poster they would release after all this time and silence, then I would happily give up on JJ, and any hope I had of this film saving the trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't spot that wacky alien on the left; on reflection I think that has to be a fake; no way Disney would design something so ... goofy. They're not that foolish to repeat the Jar-Jar mistake again.

It could be a fake. But that stupid looking alien (mind you not as dumb looking as Jar Jar) was in an earlier leak.

dwnqtimkigf21png.png?auto=format%2Ccompress&dpr=2&w=650

He has a face that looks like he couldn't care less about Episode IX.

I don't blame him. :pac:

What's most depressing about all of that though, is Richard E. Grant as a First Order officer.

That probably means Ep. IX is doubling down on the First Order as the comedy buffoons we saw in 'The Last Jedi'. :(

The sooner all of this crap is over, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

Getting excited about this now. Won't be long till we have the first trailer! :)

Watched The Last Jedi a few weekends ago for the first time since I'd seen it in the cinema. A lot of the negative commentary around it made me avoid it for whatever reason. But I actually enjoyed it even more on second viewing. Adam Driver is fantastic in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Tony EH wrote: »
    What's most depressing about all of that though, is Richard E. Grant as a First Order officer.

That probably means Ep. IX is doubling down on the First Order as the comedy buffoons we saw in 'The Last Jedi'. :(

The sooner all of this crap is over, the better.
    In all fairness you don't have to go see these movies so it could be over for you now if you ignore the next movie. That's your issue solved.

I won't be, unless there's absolutely stellar feedback...and even then...But, I have to admit to a certain morbid curiosity.

Honestly though, I just don't think this trilogy can be saved at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Tony EH wrote: »
    I won't be, unless there's absolutely stellar feedback...and even then...But, I have to admit to a certain morbid curiosity.

Honestly though, I just don't think this trilogy can be saved at this point.
    Personally i will go and enjoy it for what it is, a movie nothing more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Richard E Grant playing a snarling villain is fine with me, even if we don't know for sure what role he has. Even while I didn't mind the First Orders overt camp, Domhnall Gleason isn't cut out for that kind of performance. Grant would bring more fun

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Falthyron wrote: »
    Threepio with a bowcaster and bandolier is making me think bullshít..

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1111349754493964288

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Here's a few more character images...

https://imgur.com/a/TcOv8B4

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 3 Branberg

Can someone explain to me what is it about the originals that's so great?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

Branberg wrote: »

It’s mainly the unknown stuff and how the world is built but allows us to fill in or imagine the edges continue off to infinity.
    They show us a space battle and a Princess who is a diplomat being boarded and accused of being in collusion with a rebel group.
    Then we follow the droid she entrusts to a backwards planet where we learn that there is magic and there was a war recently that the empire won and that everyone on this planet is suffering from disillusionment and lethargy.
    The wizard then entrusts a boy he meets and the droid and they set out on the timeless quest to save the princess from the castle and destroy the evil sorcerers source of power.

The second episode expands on this perfect story, they are now a cohesive band and they are on the run from retribution from the dark lord they attacked in the first story.

There is joy in inpenatrable mystery and while we are starting to know more we still have to speculate and fill in the blanks about the bows and whys of this universe

We see the group being captured and as we see them try to escape a massive twist is suggested
    Is D.V simply the dark father?
    Some people believed so didn’t there was no you tube or internet to use to have our opinion fed to used have to decide.
    Then it turns out that luke and leia are siblings. ( this is acually the first crack in an otherwise perfect three hours of suspension of disbelief)

So our hero goes on a quest to gain more insight and more power and we end on some more revelations and with more knowledge but the world building has been expanded on and there is still a sense of wonder.

The final Star Wars episode wraps up with a few gaps left but mainly we are told the story we signed up to and there is still a huge amount of the unknown to wonder or speculate about.

So we (Star Wars fans) have now a world that has been built and expanded upon and a beautiful mystery to speculate upon and allow the universe to be limited only by our imagination.

Any following stories should have created their own mythos and asked a question for every answer they provide.
    They don’t, because the prequels are prequels there is no drama, we know who will die and who will live, we get told how things work but this turns them from magical to mechanical and it turns out the deep and powerful dark sorcer is just an immature teenager locked in a iron lung

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

Episode IV and VI are very good films, while Episode V is excellent IMO. If it's not for you though, it's not for you.

There's a lot of Star Wars fans (myself included) that were kids when they first saw them, so there's a lot wrapped up in that. A lot of nostalgia. And its a path in some ways back to a simpler time (both for you as in individual, and for society at large).

Similar reason as to why Stranger Things was such a hit.

The new films are made for a different audience, who live in a very different world. So when people get angry at a change in direction of the franchise (IMO) they're angry at a lot of different things.

There's people (who I know) that love the new films and can't stand the old ones. Which is fine too. It's art. It's their to be enjoyed or not. I don't see why people get so enraged by the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think nostalgia plays a MASSIVE part in the the original 3 films.

I watched them between the ages of 9 and 15. At that time, cinema was powerful, we had no Netflix, no streaming and a handful of TV channels. The buzz around in those years was amazing. I had so many toys, comics, novels, everything to do with the films. Even compare to what else was in the cinema for kids, it probably was on a different level to those as well.

When I watch them back now as a more discerning adult, I can see the flaws, and there is a lot of ham acting and terrible dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Star Wars itself is mostly good because it was fresh at the time, different from everything we had seen up to that point - the simple wholesome plot of a Buck Rogers serial married to cutting edge special effects. It also had a new realism - space was not all shiny steel and white corridors, it was dirty, beat up, and lived in.

If you look at a list of SF movies before SW, they were either crap for kids or highbrow adult fare like Solaris or 2001. Star Wars was a genuine family movie that adults and children alike loved, and a template for blockbusters ever since.

Looking at it now, you can see all the flaws of the prequels were there in embryonic form - the dialogue was rubbish, Hamill and Fisher can't act for peanuts, the director is more interested in the effects than anyone acting, Guinness and Cushing are collecting a paycheck.

Looking at the various documentaries about it, huge amounts of boring rubbish were cut in the editing suite, and even the ending was altered from Lucas's cut - the Death Star was NOT about to destroy the rebel base in the original, it was just a sitting duck in space.

So SW was an important movie because it was fresh, and a model for blockbusters to follow, but it was mostly good in spite of Lucas.

Empire is still a genuinely good movie on any terms - Hamill and Fisher are better, there is some decent dialogue, but most of all, there is an actual director at the helm.

RotJ is where the rot sets in as Lucas runs out of ideas, recycles the plot of SW with another run at another Death Star, and adds teddy bears.

Well, I was going to reply, but I guess I won't bother...

Branberg
    Banned

:pac:

I'm going to go ahead and speculate that there's no shortage of exhaustive videos out there dissecting what it is that marks Star Wars out for praise / love / obsession.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think nostalgia plays a MASSIVE part in the the original 3 films.

I watched them between the ages of 9 and 15. At that time, cinema was powerful, we had no Netflix, no streaming and a handful of TV channels. The buzz around in those years was amazing. I had so many toys, comics, novels, everything to do with the films. Even compare to what else was in the cinema for kids, it probably was on a different level to those as well.

When I watch them back now as a more discerning adult, I can see the flaws, and there is a lot of ham acting and terrible dialogue.

I had actually begun to type up something earlier like above but thought better of it. A lot of the criticisms leveled at the newer movies could be objectively leveled at originals, possibly more so but then you get accused of wanting to sh*t on them for pointing it out.

We can get anywhere up to 5 major movie releases in one year that cater for similar audiences to those who like Star Wars. Back when the OTs were made you would Be lucky to get one in a year. Waiting three years in between movies also built expectations and allowed us to appreciate them better.

I adore the originals and don’t care to dissect them for any reason. But the newer ones don’t give me the same sense of wonder or excitement for good reason. I’m a few decades older and they aren’t made to appeal to me. There’s a few nods here and there but generally they are about bringing the franchise to.a newer generation. I’m ok with that but some people can’t or won’t accept that.

I do think that the newer movies definitely lack the charm of the older ones. Also think the characters were better and more relatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

J Mysterio wrote: »

Here's the thing, there WAS a time you'd be justifiably dismissive, until Rian Johnson decided that ordinary working droids could have a bodycount, I legit think BB-8 killed more stormtroopers in his AT-ST rampage in TFA then Rey and Finn combined.

Given many of the questionable character choices made in the new trilogy, a protocol droid going 'full metal jacket' no longer seems like a move too dumb to be out of the question... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Sharper version

m1wigfuqeto21.jpg

Advertisement