Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machine Head Appreciation Thread

• 30-05-2012 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Seeing as MH are playing tonight in Dublin and I ain't there, said I would start an appreciation thread for the band.

First heard machine head about 2004/05 in a mates room, huddled around his computer in the dark (no homo :p). We were listening to a bunch of random tracks from Lamb of God, Lacuna Coil, Godsmack and many others.

All of a sudden I hear these amazing drums... Imperium had started playing :D Was hooked straight away, listened to it day and night.

Saw them live in London when they opened for Slipknot recently. Was last minute thing so was stuck in the cheap seats up back but was still amazing!

Thing with the head is, you both love and hate them. Many a classic and then there are songs that you think to yourself "seriously, what the hell?!"

Will always be a fan though :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TIMR007ROX

Saw MH at the Academy gig about two years ago. Didn't have standing tickets but everyone on the balcony just stood anyway :p Support acts were good and MH were awesome, but the sound in the academy was quite s**t tbh. Have been a fan since The Blackening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GKiraly

Been a fan of these guys since the late 90's and apart from The Burning Red, the rest of their stuff is brilliant. Through the Ashes of Empires is awesome.
    On the downside however, seen as theyre playing in Dublin tonight, I've seen them twice and the sound was'nt great in either gig, in Belfast a few years ago where the echo was brutal and at the Olympia with Hatebreed (how good are they live?!) last time out where I came home deaf as a post, so no, wasnt in a hurry get tickets for tonights show!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Savage show! I even saw our very own mod, Lord Lucan, lurking about in all his glory around the Olympia bar.*

*I love my boards anonymity. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Nailz wrote: »
    Savage show! I even saw our very own mod, Lord Lucan, lurking about in all his glory around the Olympia bar.*

*I love my boards anonymity. ;)

Feckin' stalker:pac:

Great show tonight. Hung around the back this time and my ears weren't assaulted like they have been at previous MH shows. They still need to sort out the vocals in the mix though,Rob is drowned out by the guitars.

Funny old crowd tonight,highlight was........... HALO,HALO,HALOOOOO OLE OLE OLE OLE,OLE,OLE!:pac: Only in Ireland!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Amazing gig tonight, definitely a highlight of my year! :D Those chants of Olé Olé Olé, were nothing short of awesome!

Lived in the pit for the entire gig, and with only a slight right-sided hearing loss, it was a lot of fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

I both love and hate this band!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I got into Machine Head in 1994. Having already been completed blown away by Fear Factory's Demanufacture the same year, Burn My Eyes was another uncompromising dose of heavy yet melodic metal. They kind of lost their way a bit with The Burning Red and Supercharger although I have a soft spot for the cover of Message in a Bottle. Thankfully their recent albums (although now that I look at the release date I realise Through the Ashes of Empires isn't that recent any more :o) have been much improved with each album containing at least one song that could fit easily on a "Best of" compilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

Like Malice, I got into them in 1994, although I must confess I haven't truly enjoyed any of their albums since TMTC. Good show last night, couldn't hear a word from Flynn though...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Ah lads don't talk about the show, tis no fair ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ah lads don't talk about the show, tis no fair ;)
    Ignore them.
    The show was noisy with lots of sweaty people doing this viscous form of "dance" whereby they were charging and slamming into each other. The fact that Mr. Flynn encouraged people to participate in this primitive behaviour was quite unpleasant. Others who did not participate in these thuggish antics simply shook their heads violently whilst apparently playing a non-existent guitar. Quite strange!

The preceding acts were equally as noisy with similar forms of "dancing" taking place.

It was simply most vulgar - you would not have liked to have been there.

(Machine F*****g Head! - woo hoo - \m/ )

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

kbannon wrote: »
    lots of sweaty people doing this viscous form of "dance"
    Sounds sticky!

Malice wrote: »
    Sounds sticky!
    Can't type today - body sore, ears ringing.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭thebourke

personally i have always hated the ole ole ole crap at metal gigs....its boring at this stage...good show last night...but you are right..the sounds wasn't the best...at least it wasn't as loud as the last time

Plenty of vids from last night here...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Chromeboy2003

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

I forgot how great this band is. I bought the tickets after release while still on a high from the new album. Haven't listened to it in ages. So I showed up to the Olympia not too enthused, but by golly were they amazing.

The sound man has some answering to do though, I thought the mix was great at the start of the gig but by the end it was just too noisey.

Highlights for me were Halo and Bulldozer. Machinehead in 2001 maybe 2002 (the Supercharger Tour) was my first metal gig and Bulldozer was the opening song that night. Ah memories!

kbannon wrote: »
    Plenty of vids from last night here...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Chromeboy2003

Thanks for this mate, got goose bumps just listening to Flynn at the start of this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I went along the other night and quite enjoyed it Bulldozer & Darkness Within my particular highlights. I dunno which was worse about the Halo,Halo,Halo,Olé ,Olé,Olé,Olé,Olé etc. that fact that it was done or the fact I found myself joining in.....Dammit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Thanks for this mate, got goose bumps just listening to Flynn at the start of this :D

Yep, I was there at the Ambassador gig, a thousand years ago! Rob has mentioned elsewhere in interviews that it was one of the most memorable gigs for Machine Head.

EDIT: Found the link! : ) http://kingsizepictures.wordpress.com/2009/06/29/rock-hard-interview-robb-flynn-und-james-hetfield-englisch/

And for those interested both the Machine Head and Lamb of God sets will be streamed live from Rock Am Ring tonight:

http://www.dasding.de/ext/specials/rockamring/livestream/

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

What time is the streaming starting?

• Advertisement

MH due on at 21.10 - 22.10.(That should be 20.10 - 21.10 irish time)

http://www.rock-am-ring.com/en/spielplan

lord lucan wrote: »

http://www.rock-am-ring.com/en/spielplan

Tonight? Yes... Have my slabs of bulmers bought today, shall be drinking few of these while watching it. Cheers :) Lamb of God too are worth checking out, saw them live few years back.

Is that the link to watch these or is this different?

This appears to be where it'll be streamed : http://www.swr3.de/specials/rockamring/livestream/

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

This appears to be where it'll be streamed :

Yeah that's Rock am Ring's official link.

Is anyone else watching Soundgarden at the moment? Is this live, or am I at the wrong link?

(Sorry if this is getting off-topic)

http://www.swr3.de/musik/rock-am-ring-2012/livestream/-/id=1453978/oga2s9/index.html

I think that MH are on at midnight, those times are German and were a hour back yeah?

I think you're right, yes.

Sweet, I'll catch a bit of Amy Lee next.

xerces wrote: »
    Is anyone else watching Soundgarden at the moment? Is this live, or am I at the wrong link?

(Sorry if this is getting off-topic)

Soundgarden are on stage now, dunno if the stream is live though. there may be a few minutes delay.

Listening to the feed from Rock am Ring, epic shtuff :D SO jelly I didn't see 'em this year!!

• Advertisement

Full set from Rock Am Ring.

Advertisement