Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

• 18-04-2019 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

So what's the general opinion on here about the protest that is due to happen at 1 PM tomorrow will you be out supporting the protesters for Extinction Rebellion Ireland?

https://www.newstalk.com/news/extinction-rebellion-dublin-849302

Unfortunately, I will be unable to attend the protest tomorrow, but I fully support the people protesting and the message that governments, especially ours needs to do more to combat global warming. I'd love for the country to implement new green policies such as reforestation of large areas of the countryside with traditional Irish broadleaf trees rather than the current commercial crap that we have at the moment. I'd also like to see a right to roam type law implemented, which would give walkers and outdoor enthusiasts better access to the countryside and encourage eco-tourism rather than the current unsustainable model that we have at the moment.

If you had the power to implement any environmental policies. What would you do?

Do you support the protest? 701 votes

Yes!
    86% 608 votes
    No!
    13% 93 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Who do we get to vote out? Any Immunity Idols?

Edit: Ah why did you edit your title? It worked better as "Extinction island!" :p

Their aggressive tactics undermine the cause, peaceful protest is far more effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Their aggressive tactics undermine the cause, peaceful protest is far more effective.

...they are peaceful protests...annoying ones if you get caught in the traffic but peaceful nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

The mother-in-law is pondering coming to stay for Easter. I'm in favour of any protest that blocks the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

Here is a quote from their official Facebook page
    PLEASE READ - We hope you are all looking forward to tomorrows event 😃🌍 Some quick tips 👇

1. We are a strictly non-violent network. If you see anyone breaking this rule please inform one of our stewards.
    2. Please bring your own homemade banners and signs which are so creative! (rather than ones from political parties)
    3. Please bring drums, horns and cow bells (and whatever else) to make as much noise as possible!
    4. Please be respectful to the Garda. They are not the focus of this protest, the government is.
    5. Bring sunscreen (ironically it's going to be a scorcher)

Peaceful civil disobedience is part of our strategy. If the Garda ask us to end the protest anyone who does not want to risk being arrested should leave the area immediately and safely.

We’d only recommend putting yourself in a position to be arrested if you are comfortable with taking that step and have completed non-violent direct action training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

RHJ wrote: »
    Here is a quote from their official Facebook page

5. Is not ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

They'll get a grand day for it anyways.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Extinction protests went out with the dinosaur's.

What is it they want?

kneemos wrote: »
    What is it they want?

You know like, stuff and things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

What is it they want?

Not to become extinct. Too bad because its on the cards one way or the other.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

So what's the general opinion on here about the protest that is due to happen at 1 PM tomorrow will you be out supporting the protesters for Extinction Rebellion Ireland?

Unfortunately, I will be unable to attend the protest tomorrow, but I fully support the people protesting and the message that governments, especially ours needs to do more to combat global warming. I'd love for the country to implement new green policies such as reforestation of large areas of the countryside with traditional Irish broadleaf trees rather than the current commercial crap that we have at the moment. I'd also like to see a right to roam type law implemented, which would give walkers and outdoor enthusiasts better access to the countryside and encourage eco-tourism rather than the current unsustainable model that we have at the moment.

If you had the power to implement any environmental policies. What would you do?

Won't work. A farm support a family, and families support rural communities.

Planting trees on farms mean the land is planted by outside contractors and ignored for 20 years, bar the odd pruning by outside contractors. Farming families are on the land every day spending money locally and supporting the community.

How about they level all the housing estates and plant trees there instead?

Eventually the sun will burn out and the human race will be extinct. Human induced global warming merely shortens the road to extinction. May as well enjoy it while we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Go out and protest to give governments the green light to take more money out of your pockets

Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Look it, if protesting didn't work for the dinosaurs, it's not going to work for us.

Bar a massive change in the way we live I don't see what we can do in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I do support it and fair play for the younger generation - well some of them anyway - for standing up.

However, it will take literally a revolutionary change to make an impact. The current political and economical system is incapable of reforming itself into sustainability. It has to go or else there is no hope. But sadly I believe inertia and denial and plain resistance will not allow it until its too late.

But thats not an excuse for not trying, so fair play and yes bring it on, plenty of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

It took over 200,000 years of human history for the world's population to reach 1 billion;[2] and only 200 years more to reach 7 billion

Says it all really. We are great for culling seals, deer, foxes, rats badgers etc. etc., but the dirtiest shower of rodents of all are humans and we are completely out of control destroying everything in our path and there is no stopping us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Censored11

What is it they want?

More bullsh!t Carbon Tax !

jasper100 wrote: »
    It took over 200,000 years of human history for the world's population to reach 1 billion;[2] and only 200 years more to reach 7 billion

Says it all really. We are great for culling seals, deer, foxes, rats badgers etc. etc., but the dirtiest shower of rodents of all are humans and we are completely out of control destroying everything in our path and there is no stopping us.

Sadly thats true. We consider ourselves the pinnacle of creation and on an individual level that may be true, but collectively we are just a very effective cancer, what Agent Smith said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I would be a lot more receptive to them if they answered the questions that were difficult their side of the political spectrum, that is that reducing western European carbon emissions to close to zero and keeping a a stable population would not solve climate change according to the figures they rely on themselves.

To put it even blunter a chinese person is not far of the Co2 emissions of an irish person (or possibly higher depending on figure)

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.ATM.CO2E.PC

• Advertisement

I would be a lot more receptive to them if they answered the questions that were difficult their side of the political spectrum, that is that reducing western European carbon emissions to close to zero and keeping a a stable population would not solve climate change according to the figures they rely on themselves.

To put it even blunter a chinese person is not far of the Co2 emissions of an irish person (or possibly higher depending on figure)

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.ATM.CO2E.PC

But its not just co2 levels and climate change. Its how we literally pollute, poison and lay to waste everything around us and everything in it. And we're not even doing it for survival. Most of it is just greed and gluttony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

jasper100 wrote: »
    Won't work. A farm support a family, and families support rural communities.

Planting trees on farms mean the land is planted by outside contractors and ignored for 20 years, bar the odd pruning by outside contractors. Farming families are on the land every day spending money locally and supporting the community.

How about they level all the housing estates and plant trees there instead?

Eventually the sun will burn out and the human race will be extinct. Human induced global warming merely shortens the road to extinction. May as well enjoy it while we can.

Whether you like it or not, people that live in towns and cities have on average a lower carbon footprint than those who live in the countryside (only a small percentage of those living in rural locations are farmers all work in the industry).

The type of trees. I would like to see planted are traditional native trees that wouldn't be harvested an opportunity I could see the sum living in some living in rural Ireland would be maintaining public pathways and tracks through the newly planted forests. Others could set up their own tourism businesses such as campsites. I also like the idea one of the ideas from Andrew Yang, who is currently running for president in the US, he suggests paying people to move from rural locations into towns and cities. His focus is more on jobs, though another idea that I like would be to give a universal income whose land has new forestry planted on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

They only create pollution by delaying traffic and making people take longer journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

RobertKK wrote: »
    They only create pollution by delaying traffic and making people take longer journeys.

Well with tomorrow being Good Friday the city will be relatively quiet.

I wonder how many will turn up. I suppose you'll have the regular rent-a-protester there anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Irexit

Even Prof Ray Bates from Met Eireann said there is no proof that man made climate change is real.

This is a total non issue to be protesting about.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/irish-scientist-questions-warnings-on-climate-change-1.3738727

Irexit wrote: »
    Even Prof Ray Bates from Met Eireann said there is no proof that man made climate change is real.

This is a total non issue to be protesting about.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/irish-scientist-questions-warnings-on-climate-change-1.3738727

Your username and denialism fit perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,055 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why don't they do something constructive like get 10,000 people on the coastlines some weekend to clear up all the plastic and rubbish?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Irexit

Are you saying Prof Ray Bates is wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Indeed rather ironically if we had his irexit we would almost certainly meet out emissions targets, what with it ending agriculture on the island and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Irexit wrote: »
    Are you saying Prof Ray Bates is wrong ?

O noes!!! He can't be wrong, he's a proffessor!!!

The majority of scientific opinion says he's wrong.

Advertisement