Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Missing(maybe mistranscribed) Civil Records

• 05-01-2021 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi, can anyone help to locate the following:-
    1881 Civil marriage of Maurice Fitzgerald & Mary Hayes who were married on 24 July 1881 per Emly (Tipperary district) parish register.  There was a Fitzgerald/Hayes marriage dated 1 March 1881 but this is not the same pair.

Feb 14 1899, Robert Coffey of Hospital, Co. Limerick married Margaret Bourke/Burke of Emly.  The marriage was recorded on the Emly Parish Register (no witnesses recorded).  However, a newspaper report stated that the marriage took place in Thurles Cathedral.  Is it possible that the marriage wasn't registered?

I am also looking for the marriage (civil/church) of Margaret Gleeson of Cappamore, Co. Limerick & John Gleeson.  Their first child was born in 1883 in Cappamore.

Many thanks 

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Have you been able to view the 1st Mar image?
    Is there info on it that confirms it's a different couple?
    I only get a 404 Error when trying to view it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Thanks Hermy for looking. Yes, the link is faulty (I sent error report). Someone forwarded me the record from Roots.

The date, addresses, witness' names don't match. I just want to confirm that I have the correct father's name.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Have you tried just searching with their first names in the year/SRD? That would show up any possible mistranscriptions.

I think I've only found one marriage ever that was most definitely not registered, i.e. church had it but not in civil. Coincidently also in 1881.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks Pinky for suggestion. I may have tried doing that before but will try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

I am on a similar search. William Daly was one of those lost on 8 October 1896 when the Puffin Light Ship foundered on Daunt's Rock in Cork Harbour. He was born on 6 October 1870. I can find no record of his death in the civil registrations. I would think it would have to be in the Cork or Kinsale Districts. Any comment?

• Advertisement

Hi crossman47,
    Have you searched for the death records of the others who died on the Puffin on safe date?

montgo wrote: »
    Hi crossman47,
    Have you searched for the death records of the others who died on the Puffin on safe date?

Thanks for suggestion. I have now tried the others and cannot find a registration for any of them, even some with unusual names such as Robert Higginbotham. Perhaps they were registered in London?

With a tragedy such as that one, maybe the deaths were registered much later. Try freebmd.org.uk for UK deaths.

It's also possible that if their bodies were not recovered, they do not have death registrations. Or that they were registered as "unknown", i.e. if the bodies washed up elsewhere at a later date and a connection was not made.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

crossman47 wrote: »
    I am on a similar search. William Daly was one of those lost on 8 October 1896 when the Puffin Light Ship foundered on Daunt's Rock in Cork Harbour. He was born on 6 October 1870. I can find no record of his death in the civil registrations. I would think it would have to be in the Cork or Kinsale Districts. Any comment?

Registry of Deaths at Sea?
    Think it's available on "FindMyPast".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

After many years of looking I eventually found a forebear's marriage recorded in church register 1877 but never made it to the civil register. I think I checked others on same page and same story. A pity as it is the end of search, a civil marriage cert would have supplied name, address of fathers so chance to get back a generation.

My ggrandmother's surname was recorded incorrectly on the civil record but fortunately was easy enough to locate. My research and family knowledge also shows that her father's first name was also incorrect as well.

Pinky, I've tried again without success to find the civil records for the three marriages above.

Thanks for suggestion. I have now tried the others and cannot find a registration for any of them, even some with unusual names such as Robert Higginbotham. Perhaps they were registered in London?

've tried other suggestions without success but Ancestry is now giving me a hint linked to the Civil Registrations that appears right (hint does not give access) so I think there is just a problem finding these deaths via irishgenealogy. Perhaps there were some special late entries?

If anything what's on irishgenealogy should be more accurate on late entries than the indexes, which were created from microfilms taken in the 1950s.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Purple_Penguin

montgo wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone help to locate the following:-
    1881 Civil marriage of Maurice Fitzgerald & Mary Hayes who were married on 24 July 1881 per Emly (Tipperary district) parish register.  There was a Fitzgerald/Hayes marriage dated 1 March 1881 but this is not the same pair.

Feb 14 1899, Robert Coffey of Hospital, Co. Limerick married Margaret Bourke/Burke of Emly.  The marriage was recorded on the Emly Parish Register (no witnesses recorded).  However, a newspaper report stated that the marriage took place in Thurles Cathedral.  Is it possible that the marriage wasn't registered?

I am also looking for the marriage (civil/church) of Margaret Gleeson of Cappamore, Co. Limerick & John Gleeson.  Their first child was born in 1883 in Cappamore.

Many thanks 

Regarding Robert Coffey & Margaret Bourke, it is possible the marriage wasn't registered at all. I'd consider it a little unusual that it be in a paper, the Bourkes of Emly were not wealthy by any means. Also, Thurles is quite the distance to travel when the parties were in neighbouring parishes.

Yes, but as mentioned above, only in a scenario where the priest forgot to send it in. In which case, I'd expect several people on the same page to have been missed.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    If anything what's on irishgenealogy should be more accurate on late entries than the indexes, which were created from microfilms taken in the 1950s.

I have now been told that deaths at sea where no bodies were recovered were recorded in a different file that has not yet been uploaded to irishgenealogy (but it has been promised that it will be).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have now been told that deaths at sea where no bodies were recovered were recorded in a different file that has not yet been uploaded to irishgenealogy (but it has been promised that it will be).

Ran in to that myself today. The Mormons have a microfilm of it but no way to get that currently with their centres closed.

L1011 wrote: »
    Ran in to that myself today. The Mormons have a microfilm of it but no way to get that currently with their centres closed.

Are you sure the Mormons would have a copy of the detsils (age, cause of death, location, etc)?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I was looking at Cork deaths recently and came across three successive deaths, no names, bodies recovered from a drowning. Sorry I didn't keep a record of it.

• Advertisement

This old GRO page lists what they have in Roscommon.

There is a section for people who died at sea but it's not clear whether there's a body or not.

http://groireland.ie/en/Pages/GRO_Research.aspx

Certainly, in my research for the RMS Leinster, I found people who drowned in that wreck recorded in the regular death records, but these were people who were identified.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I think there must be a difference for 'missing at sea, presumed drowned' and those whose bodies are eventually recovered. My mother told me her godfather was drowned at sea but I was never able to find a death record. (England, 1920's).

Advertisement