Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Skyrim Special Edition

Options
  • 27-10-2016 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭

So it's launching tonight at around midnight

- Standalone update, which means that it's a whole new downloaded game. Not an update to the original. This means the entire engine has been remastered (apparently) meaning it's supposedly more stable.
    - On steam if you own all the DLC (even hearthfire) you will have SSE in your library already.
    - It's roughly the same size as the vanilla game and you can preload it right now.
    - There is no new content included.
    - All mods will be broken at release, don't expect them to work.. some may.. but yeah, wait a few days for the more popular ones to come back to the workshop.
    - If you don't own all the DLC - you have until midnight to buy it to get the special edition free, after that.. ye have to pay full whack for it. So whatever the going rate will be - i'm guessing more than what standard Skyrim is going for atm.

Anyways :) Should at least look interesting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

I can't wait for this. I might actually finish it this time!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Less than 2 hours now!!

Unfortunately since it's the Halloween weekend I've stupidly arranged a load of outings that will drag me away from my computer! :(

I wonder in Nexus Mod Manager will it show up separately to Skyrim (original) meaning that I'll have to uninstall all my mods, or will it be separate, meaning I can just jump in and start playing...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

it's standalone so i'd say you'll have two sets of mods in nexus, one for standard and the other for the SE.

from what people are saying, old vanilla unmodded saves work, but modded ones dont.. shame coz all my saves are modded to high heaven after like 5 years of playing the game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Bollox all gone in my local 3 Argos's, can order and be back in for tuesday. 48 was good price an all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Bollox all gone in my local 3 Argos's, can order and be back in for tuesday. 48 was good price an all.

Smyths still have them. I paid €50 as preordered, think it €55 now.

Been playing for an hour. Work now but guarantee I'll be writing off the rest of the Bank Holiday weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

I thought the release date was tomorrow no? Happy days if it's a day earlier

I thought the release date was tomorrow no? Happy days if it's a day earlier

Nah, was always scheduled for 28th. Pain having to start at level 1 again tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

So is this just a remastered version of the original

So is this just a remastered version of the original

Yes but it contains all the DLC. What I was fair happy about is if you bought the original through steam with all the DLC you got the remastered version for free :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I never played Skyrim on PC so looking forward to seeing what this special edition can do. I actually never finished Skyrim before as I had it on Xbox 360 when it was first released but my save corrupted and I was too lazy to start all the way from the beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

streaming a bit there if ye wanna take a look at it

https://youtu.be/f7PwWyWnH2k

streaming a bit there if ye wanna take a look at it

https://youtu.be/f7PwWyWnH2k

I'm still at work sadly otherwise I would be glued to it.
    Still trying to decide what to play as for my first play through.

There is very little difference between the special edition and normal on PC. Consoles would be different. They must have known that is why it was a free upgrade. I would be well pissed if I had to pay full wack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Plays well the load times are really nice no more long waits. Got skyrim for €9.99 on steam sale a few months back and a free upgrade to SSE :D

Can't what to see what mods will do for the looks considering how much better they made the original look!

Part of me kinda misses the long loading times as I used to like to read the bits of lore they had!
    But I'm absolutely loving it so far. I'm finding quests I never did first time around

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If anyone's playing on PC and wants to use mods without losing the ability to unlock achievements, this mod allows you to do it. You just copy and paste the files into your main Skyrim Special Edition folder, you don't need to 'install' it with NMM. If you want to remove it, then you just delete the files. I've been using it without any problems so far, and the mod author also does the same thing for Fallout 4, and it works a treat :)

Toots wrote: »
    If anyone's playing on PC and wants to use mods without losing the ability to unlock achievements, this mod allows you to do it. You just copy and paste the files into your main Skyrim Special Edition folder, you don't need to 'install' it with NMM. If you want to remove it, then you just delete the files. I've been using it without any problems so far, and the mod author also does the same thing for Fallout 4, and it works a treat :)

Haven't played much of skyrim with mods will give some of them a playthrough with SSE.

Is there or will there be a thread/guide on here for SSE mods?

Anyone else finding that the speech volume isn't great on SSE? Maybe it's just me but it seems like the volume is way lower even with 'voice' set to maximum and the others turned down a bit.

Anyone else finding that the speech volume isn't great on SSE? Maybe it's just me but it seems like the volume is way lower even with 'voice' set to maximum and the others turned down a bit.

Playing on PS4 but yes I did think that about the sound during the week.

While it does play much better on the PS4 compared to PS3 (with regards to lag), yesterday I was fighting about 8 guards in Solitude and it lagged a bit which p'd me off a bit. First time it happened though so probably shouldn't complain.

I found that as well. I noticed it even more as I had just played the original before I booted up the Special edition just to see what they changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

Having invested well over 100 hours into Skyrim on ps3, I'm very tempted to get the remastered version now on PS4. Think it's on sale now on store for €40. Is it worth it?

EIREDriver wrote: »
    Having invested well over 100 hours into Skyrim on ps3, I'm very tempted to get the remastered version now on PS4. Think it's on sale now on store for €40. Is it worth it?

I think so.

I'd go for it, if I didn't have a PC I'd be getting it for PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

Found it on amazon for 25 pounds. Buying it now!

:
    EIREDriver wrote: »
    Found it on amazon for 25 pounds. Buying it now!

Enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Quandary

Smyth's Toys have it for only €30. Picked it up yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Anyone know if it's possible to find out how many hours you've put in on Ps4?

petes wrote: »
    Anyone know if it's possible to find out how many hours you've put in on Ps4?

General stats not show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

General stats not show it.

I've searched and can't see it, will have another look, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Picked this up last week in Smyths for €25, I'm liking it so far but I'm currently level 7 and was just wondering should I focus more on the main missions at the moment or is it okay to explore a bit?. I'm finding myself very under powered against Dragon's, Giant's etc.

Advertisement