Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Season 10 - Episode 6

• 08-11-2012 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Well folks, the finale is upon us so soon already! Hopefully, the boys will see out the season with the same note it started on. The synopsis is some vague:
    Hiding in an Asteroid, surrounded by a Simulant Death Ship and a fleet of Annihilators, the Dwarfers begin to wonder whether this is the beginning of the end. Only one man can save them. Unfortunately that man is Arnold J. Rimmer.

Source

Fingers crossed it does the business :)

Out of ten, ten being the best, what did you think? 15 votes

0%
    6%
    FanadMan 1 vote
    6%
    MugMugs 1 vote
    40%
    MickerooArmaniJeansscherryghostSparks43Moist BreadCookiemunster 6 votes
    20%
    YeatsCountyJimoslimosG.K. 3 votes
    0%
    6%
    L 1 vote
    13%
    johnny_ultimateMyrddin 2 votes
    6%
    Sir Digby Chicken Caesar 1 vote
    0%

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hope Ace pops up! I'm sure tonight will be better than last week!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hope Ace pops up!

What a guy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I don't like the impact on the continuity this will have but it was a much better episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,654 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

G.K. wrote: »
    I don't like the impact on the continuity this will have but it was a much better episode.

Thought it was rubbish myself :confused:

RD VI is on now (Emohawk) - someone ask for Ace? :p

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thought it was a good bit better this week. The funniest bit by far was the flash back at the start, got a good chuckle out of the droid and the simulants too.

• Advertisement

Hmm, quite weak I thought. Better than last week, but still below average. Chris Barrie made it better than if probably in fact was.

Does nobody else remember what simulants actually were like? The ones in this episode were ridiculous. The story & idea were good, the implementation wasn't.

4/10 :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

EnterNow wrote: »
    . The story & idea were good, the implementation wasn't.

a common enough theme for this season

the simulants were awful and im not sure why they tried to channel manuel through the rogue droid

I did like how they referenced the end of season 8 though :) "ssh!"

I did like how they referenced the end of season 8 though :) "ssh!"

I must say, I did appreciate the little nod to continuity there. Rimmer wasn't a hologram in Season 8, & its hinted he saved the ship from the virus, & now he's a hologram again, so he must have sacrificed himself to save the others.

Also, he didn't say 'Mum!' when he was about to die...wtf. Gazpatcho Soup ftw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

aye
    sometimes continuity is important, even in red dwarf

gazpacho soup forever

• Registered Users Posts: 28,787 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I must say, I did appreciate the little nod to continuity there. Rimmer wasn't a hologram in Season 8, & its hinted he saved the ship from the virus, & now he's a hologram again, so he must have sacrificed himself to save the others.

Also, he didn't say 'Mum!' when he was about to die...wtf. Gazpatcho Soup ftw

That was the first time he died. Maybe he said "M..." the second time, which implies he died by radiation both times. :)

I liked the episode. Overall the season was a lot better than I expected, which I'm glad about.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    That was the first time he died. Maybe he said "M..." the second time, which implies he died by radiation both times. :)

Yep, I did think of that...its possible :)
    Overall the season was a lot better than I expected, which I'm glad about.

Agreed, in yo face BTE :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yes; I'm not that knowledgeable of Red Dwarf mythology (such as it is), but even I knew 'mummy' wasn't Rimmers last words. Given the blatant teasing of the resolution to Season 8s cliffhanger, we can presume Rimmer died again & those were his last words that time: I wonder if he made a noble - if unwilling - sacrifice to save the ship?

I thought it was a funny send-off to the season, some great lines & the scenes set onboard the Simulant ship were the best. Regarding the revelation about Rimmers parentage, well I don't think it'll change him that much - he'll still be an insufferable ass, just one that believes himself a working-class stiff.

Overall? I'd be happy to see a season 11, I'd just really like to see the scripting tightened up a little. Dunno if it was because of budget or preference by Naylor, but some better script editing & talented co-writers would go a long long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Hmm, quite weak I thought. Better than last week, but still below average. Chris Barrie made it better than if probably in fact was.

Does nobody else remember what simulants actually were like? The ones in this episode were ridiculous. The story & idea were good, the implementation wasn't.

4/10 :(
    I recall one was sexy and one was sinister - these were neither!
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Guys! Does nobody remember their RD? The second time Rimmer died his final words were;

"I am ALIVE!"

Guess the episode!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Thought it was good myself. Good strong ending to the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Gave this a nine....

Thought it was very funny and it kept me glued.

A good ending to what I'd call a good season!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Meh - indifferent to this one. No strong feelings one way or t'other. Super weak supporting characters - the **** was up with the droid at the start? Again, the implementation was off throughout.

Kryten had a few fun bits this episode though. Loved his reaction when he was cleaning at the start.

Advertisement