Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Child Benefit in Ireland whilst paying UK national insurance

Options
  • 16-01-2021 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi folks

I would love some help please.

I moved back to Ireland from the UK in May 2019 and my husband came too. Both of us were employed by UK companies; he was in Ireland on a secondment contract and me on maternity leave.I claimed and received child benefit since returning to Ireland 2019.

We have both been employed in Ireland since February of 2020.

The child benefit section are now questioning my eligibility.

Was I not entitled to it, having paid tax for years in the UK? and

If it is to be clawed back, any idea how this will be done?

Grateful for your responses.

Lola :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

If you can prove you were living here then I believe you are entitled to claim it. Certainly when I first moved back to Ireland, I was still employed overseas for the first few months, though my husband was employed here from the start. You might need to provide a rental agreement, bills, etc. if you don't have proof of residence through your employment though. I don't believe the taxes you paid in the UK are relevant. You don't have to pay tax to get Child Benefit.

Lola40 wrote: »
    Hi folks

I would love some help please.

I moved back to Ireland from the UK in May 2019 and my husband came too. Both of us were employed by UK companies; he was in Ireland on a secondment contract and me on maternity leave.I claimed and received child benefit since returning to Ireland 2019.

We have both been employed in Ireland since February of 2020.

The child benefit section are now questioning my eligibility.

Was I not entitled to it, having paid tax for years in the UK?

Child benefit is not related to tax paid.

I'm open to correction on this, but as far as I am aware, if you were both still employed in the UK (being on maternity leave would be considered still in employment) then you should have been receiving Child Benefit from the UK, not Ireland.

Did you switch to an Irish employer in 2020?

ETA - from citizensinformation:

Child Benefit and EU Regulations

If you are an EU/EEA citizen or a Swiss national and work in a country covered by EU regulations, the country you work in usually pays Child Benefit

Advertisement