Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Some site news...we're moving! [Update in Post #138 4/6/21]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,593 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What about my friends :pac: and :rolleyes:?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Will we still have that weird Valentines “matching” thing where you got a list of users who you like, or like you? I was never too sure which, to be honest.

The tide is turning…

Will we still have that weird Valentines “matching” thing where you got a list of users who you like, or like you? I was never too sure which, to be honest.
    I always thought that was an April fools gag one year, but it never got deactivated afterwards.
    It seems to be a simple counter of replies to another poster, if you frequently reply yo the same poster, then the "love" score was high.
    Same if somone always replied (countered) your posts, so more like love/hate ;).

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Overheal wrote: »
    What about my friends :pac: and :rolleyes:?

There is a full range of emojis including a rolling eye one but no pacman :pac: :eek:

I always thought that was an April fools gag one year, but it never got deactivated afterwards.
    It seems to be a simple counter of replies to another poster, if you frequently reply yo the same poster, then the "love" score was high.
    Same if somone always replied (countered) your posts, so more like love/hate ;).

No it won't be coming with us, as dolanbaker says it was built one year for a bit of fun as far as I know and just got wheeled out every Valentine's Day since!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Would there be an option to hide certain sections from your main feed. A bit like the opposite of your subscribed feed in that its everything bar your hidden ones.
    I would like an option to turn off sections like fitness where they have all kinds of names for threads that give you hope for a thread but then you open it and it's not what you want.
    There are lot of sections that users would have no desire to see and it would be great to hide them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Would the be a way to colour code sections so that you new post list is a lot easier to read.
    Let's say fun and social is blue and each sun section is a different shade. Transport and commuting is green etc.

Even better if you could personalise it to your profile

Would there be an option to hide certain sections from your main feed. A bit like the opposite of your subscribed feed in that its everything bar your hidden ones.
    I would like an option to turn off sections like fitness where they have all kinds of names for threads that give you hope for a thread but then you open it and it's not what you want.
    There are lot of sections that users would have no desire to see and it would be great to hide them

That is a new feature suggestion that I can add to a list to be considered after the migration is complete. I know a few people have asked for something similar in the past, seems to be a somewhat popular idea :)
    In the meantime if you use the Desktop site you can set My Forums or My Threads as your default homepage tab in the User Control Panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Will there be clean slates for incurred mod actions ie infractions and the like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,322 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

No it won't be coming with us, as dolanbaker says it was built one year for a bit of fun as far as I know and just got wheeled out every Valentine's Day since!

I'll miss that, I was waiting for the year Emmet would "appear" on my "list".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

As I said in the initial post, at the start only Thanks will be enabled.

We do have the option to add other reactions at a later stage if we want. I think you are right in that negative reactions don't add too much to the conversation and that the more positive ones might be more beneficial. "Thanks" isn't always the right response when someone posts, for example, that a loved one has passed away or something else awful has happened so it'll be nice to add a small variety of options.

The flip side of that though is posters clicking 'Lol' to the death of someone. I think overall having a Lol button to react to posts would be attractive to trolls and wide open to abuse. If there is a death of a famous person there are definitely going to be posters clicking Lol to try to wind other posters up
    The homepage will look the same as it does now with a tab for the most thanked posts.

If you can it would be great to extend the amount of space for most thanked posts from three pages to four or even five. Many days the most thanked posts section is all clogged up with Coronavirus sh1te with poster after poster shouting at the clouds and 20 to 30 people thanking the post. Its gotten a bit old now and it means better content never even makes it to the most thanked post page because its clogged up with posts ranting and raving about the virus most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

All sounds brilliant and so exciting
    Hopefully it won’t end up
    like the orgy of gibberish that is Reddit.

Best of luck with it!!!
    And thanks for all the hard work done for us!!

Looking forward to being somewhere new even if I don’t move!

JAT

PS will the people who force you to take your shoes off before you enter their house be let play?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just thinking - will shortcuts still be available e.g. using ;) for ;), :) for :), :D for :D:pac: for :pac: or :confused: for :confused: or pressing the Alt & S keys (in Windows) to submit a post

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

If it fixed the missing posts bug, I'd be more than happy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I'll miss that, I was waiting for the year Emmet would "appear" on my "list".

Me too. If it was a “manual” choice I would have, certainly, have had you on my list, L. It’s like something, or someone, was trying to keep us apart.

Very strange.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Night owl gal

Will we also lose the ability to see who viewed your profile?

Will we be able to post during the changeover?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The second one no... you'll be able to read existing posts I gather but not reply/create new ones or threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Will we be able to embed videos from other sites than just youtube?

Gatling wrote: »
    Will there be clean slates for incurred mod actions ie infractions and the like ?

I'm afraid not :)

Just thinking - will shortcuts still be available e.g. using ;) for ;), :) for :), :D for :D:pac: for :pac: or :confused: for :confused: or pressing the Alt & S keys (in Windows) to submit a post

Just checked and no, they don't work, you need to select them from the emoji list.

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    If it fixed the missing posts bug, I'd be more than happy! :D
    It should fix all of that and more :D

You will not be able to see who has viewed your profile and no, when the site is read-only no one will be able to post. If they did somehow manage to their posts would be lost in the changeover.
    Suckit wrote: »
    Will we be able to embed videos from other sites than just youtube?
    Yes, I have only checked Vimeo so far which works but if there are any other sites you want checked just post them here and I'll take a look.

Just checked and no, they don't work, you need to select them from the emoji list.

I tend to use my phone or tablet for boards, will there be an emoji list on that site ( I think it's touch?)

You'll be able to use your phone's emoji list from the keyboard as you would for a text/whatsapp and they will display in the post (they don't always now on vBulletin)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

About the private messages/private chat...if I understand what has been posted so far correctly, Posters A and B can be having a private discussion, and then either poster, without the need for approval from the other, can invite Poster C to the discussion, and Poster C can then see the entire history of the discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Will there be an option for users who aren’t “keen” on a Reddit style interface to use the “classic” version?

As for the PMs, when you say someone can be added to the “chat”, and they’ll be able to read the whole thing, will this require the approval of both users involved in the initial “exchange”?

I, myself, use the PM function quite frequently and would not be impressed a third party being invited in to view, what may well be, a somewhat “sensitive” dialogue.

Considering this is a time for change, would it be possible to look into making the “Current Affairs” forum more attractive to, the more, “problem” user.

This could be achieved through easing up on the moderation of the CA forum, itself, which currently seems to take up a lot of mod hours, and tightening the moderation in the normal forums, particularly “After Hours”.

When threads more suited to CA are left to fester in AH it really brings down the “tone” of the entire forum. Users with a more spiteful, angry and fearful outlook flock to these staging posts and see it as a way to move out, infecting the other threads as they see fit.

Transplanting these threads, and users, back to a freer CA, and containing them there, would mean a lot less work for the mods, giving them more “capacity” to focus on running the site.

That’s not a criticism on how they are “functioning” now but it just seems that they are beyond flat out at this stage and I would be concerned for anyone in a position like that.

Fingers crossed the switch works out. While I’d be a little hesitant I am open to giving it the old “college try” but it would be nice to know if there’ll be a way to use the old version, if possible.

Best of luck and thank you for your time.

Will there be any option on the new platform to filter out the ridiculous amount of superfluous double quotation marks that are sometimes included in posts? Some posters clearly do not understand what the appropriate use of them is, and apparently think they're a requirement in most sentences, which makes for a difficult read.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

There is one feature I would love to see added to boards.
    I'm not sure if it would be possible or not in the move??

I'd love to be able to assign my own (private) tags to a poster, so that as part of their name/status, it displays the tag I created without anyone else seeing it.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Will there be any option on the new platform to filter out the ridiculous amount of superfluous double quotation marks that are sometimes included in posts? Some posters clearly do not understand what the appropriate use of them is, and apparently think they're a requirement in most sentences, which makes for a difficult read.

Thanks.

A cynic might think that he "wants" people to be butthurt about it. :P

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

grumble...grumble...grumble

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Farewell sweet : pac :

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,643 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Will we be able to send images/videos as attachments or embeds via PM?

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement