Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Realistic costs?

• 05-05-2021 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Just wondering about a quote I was given yesterday by my solicitor. This divorce was not contested and we had 1 settlement meeting and it was all sorted in 2 hours. No mediation before or anything. Just went through the process of registering the divorce then the usual means and welfare affidavits and vouching.

That was 2019, heard little or nothing from him in 2020 other than my ex's legal team looking for some info on bank transactions etc and he mailed me late 2020 asking would I be interested in a settlement meeting with I agreed. Roll on 2021 April when I was asked again which I agreed. Had this meeting yesterday took 2 hours and everything was agreed and signed. No pensions or major wealth involved. Just the house and maintenance which was sorted quickly.

Anyways I was pressing him for costs and he said 10k plus vat which to me feels way over priced given the fact he told me originally it would cost 5 or 6k for a uncontested divorce. Obviously no agreement was made on the price but I find this ridiculous. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

Ask your solicitor? You could also request his/her time sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Did you get a letter of engagement form the solicitor setting out their costs at the beginning of the whole process?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Ladybird37

Hi Fran,
    I'm currently just at the beginning of proceedings and received the below from my solicitor. Obviously they all charge different prices and everyone has different circumstances but this was the outline of costs I was given for comparative purposes:

We have also set out an estimate of our fees for family law matters for your attention:

a) Separation/Divorce

1. Professional fee

Separation Agreement

Professional fee if your matter can be settled by way of Separation Agreement (or Cohabitation Agreement) without protracted correspondence and negotiations, and not issuing proceedings in the region of €2,000.00 - €3,500.00

Consent Judicial Separation/Divorce

Professional fee if your case can be settled without protracted correspondence and negotiations (i.e. not contested separation proceedings)

in the region of €3,500.00 - €6,000.00

Non-Consent Separation/Divorce

If proceedings issue on your behalf and there is a court hearing (i.e. contested separation proceedings) or if your case is settled only shortly in advance of the hearing date in the region of €6,000.00 - €12,000.00

(Proceedings will either be contested, or they will not be contested)

Miscellaneous charges in respect of postages, phones, faxes and photocopying in the region of €50.00 - €300.00

2. Outlays payable to third parties

Counsel’s fees if not contested separation proceedings

In the region of €1,500.00 - €3,000.00

Counsel’s fees if contested separation proceedings

In the region of €2,500.00 - €5,000.00

(Proceedings will either be contested, or they will not be contested)

3. VAT

Please note that the professional fee, miscellaneous charges and counsels’ fees attract VAT (at 21%).

Advertisement