Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Necrus Revisited (Part Three) [Closing: 21st May]

Options
  • 01-05-2021 11:31pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Howdy folks,

Time to complete this Walrus trilogy I guess :D

For this edition I'm going to be revisiting former Walruses and categories I really liked - basically I'm going to be taking other people's categories and jamming them all into one Walrus. It's always nice to get a new, and different slant on previously used categories anyways.

Last Walrus (proper Walrus anyways) I ran had 10 categories. I'm going to replicate that again, I think 10 is plenty :D

1. (partyjungle's Walrus) - Song that is hugely improved by the video

I use a mixture of YouTube and Spotify when judging songs, I set up my Spotify playlists to have me drifting off to sleep, but when I'm putting my thoughts down I like to have them playing on YouTube. Hit me with a track that is enhanced by the video.

2. (partyjungle's Walrus) - Video Game Music

Be it a hugely popular song used in a game such as Rock Band, or an original piece used in a game such as Final Fantasy, I want your selections here. Always liked the idea of this category.

3. (Mollyb60 and AnLachaCorchra's Walrus) Song from a genre you usually wouldn’t listen to

Walrus is always a fun game for me, it really gives me a lot of new music I normally wouldn't listen to. So send me on something from an artist or genre you wouldn't normally be a fan of for my own perusal.

4. (Barney92 and MrKingsley's Walrus) - Song from a musical

Being a fan of the stage myself I love a good musical. There's so many that I haven't seen as well. Hit me up with your favourite :D

5. (Homer J. Fong's Walrus) - "You're from the 70's but I'm a 90's bitch"

Not too complicated this one. Hit me with a 90s track you love.

6. (LeVar's Walrus) - As Seen on TV

Nothing terribly complex or complicated here folks, give me your fave TV theme!

7. (ShaneU's Walrus) - Driving Miss Walrus

Interestingly, although I won this Walrus (my only win to date), I did not do well in this category. I've specifically decided to revive this one to see what entries people might send me :) Send me a choon you listen to when Driving!

8. (Reberetta's Walrus) - Give that Scene some Music!

A rather different round here, from a very different (but excellent) Walrus before. I'll give you a scene below and your job is to cue up music that suits it.
    Instead of the whole Walrus being based on it though, it's just the one round this time out. Scenes below, I will give you all a choice of two:

Anakin and Obi Wan Fight Scene

Star Wars: Revenge of The Sith (2005)

OR

D-Day Landing Scene

Saving Private Ryan (1998)

9. (Ectoplasm's Walrus) - In my hometown

Another fun and original round, give me a track from an artist based in your hometown. Home Country will do either if you're stuck, I'm not fussy.

10. (Rikand's Walrus, the Original) - Summer Songs

Getting to that time of year again, what better way to finish up a Walrus than with some Summery tracks :)

There's a number of Walruseseses running presently so I won't be going mad jumping the queue on this, I'll leave it open till the end of May (or alternatively until I hit 30 entrants, though I don't expect to do so)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

giphy.gif

:pac: In for the WINNNNN Wooden Spoon Choon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Tunes Submitted...

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Necro wrote: »
    4. (Barney92 and MrKingsley's Walrus) - Song from a musical

Being a fan of the stage myself I love a good musical. There's so many that I haven't seen as well. Hit me up with your favourite :D

Only ONE???
    I think I've changed my mind 5 times already this morning :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

cee_jay wrote: »
    Only ONE???
    I think I've changed my mind 5 times already this morning :pac:

I'm actually really looking forward to listening to that round :D

A lot of these categories out of my comfort zone, but with the aid of Google and the half a bottle of wine I have left I will give this a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Have all picked bar no. 3, should get this in tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

A lot of these categories out of my comfort zone, but with the aid of Google and the half a bottle of wine I have left I will give this a go.

If that's the secret, I must try tackle this when I crack open a bottle later in the week :D

ari101 wrote: »
    If that's the secret, I must try tackle this when I crack open a bottle later in the week :D

Tipsy Walrus can be fun, though I usually save the serious boozing for when it's time to paint/describe in a Paint game. :P

(My most recent attempt was fully sober, though. Not that you'd know it looking at the picture!)

Tipsy Walrus can be fun, though I usually save the serious boozing for when it's time to paint/describe in a Paint game. :P

(My most recent attempt was fully sober, though. Not that you'd know it looking at the picture!)

Haha, I'm good with sober paint ;) But tipsy Walrus I need to try :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Up to 5 entries now :D

Deja Boo
    Also Starring LeVar Burton
    Kolido
    ShaneU
    the purple tin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Hi everybody!
    777f589c0922f04d25d85b9c8cdd1e63.gif
    I have entered.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I will get thinking

Up to 6 now, still plenty of time to enter folks.

Deja Boo
    Also Starring LeVar Burton
    Kolido
    ShaneU
    the purple tin
    Homer J. Fong

I've tackled 5 categories but thus far am avoiding the one that really scares me (number 8); problem for future ari ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Same.
    I have many options for some categories.
    Others are blank

• Registered Users Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

ari101 wrote: »
    I've tackled 5 categories but thus far am avoiding the one that really scares me (number 8); problem for future ari ;)

I've not seen nor heard those film scenes before, so my entry was a wlid card :D

Deja Boo wrote: »
    I've not seen nor heard those film scenes before, so my entry was a wlid card :D

Yup me either, glad to know I am not alone! :o

It's an interesting split between the movie scenes so far, enjoying seeing which scene people pick even.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Best thing about Necro doing a Walrus is you'll know he'll actually do it!

ShaneU wrote: »

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

ShaneU wrote: »

Hey! Fuc....

Oh wait. I finished mine

Nevermind..

:D

2 new entries overnight bring us to 8 so far :D

Starting to play around with the tracks a little and getting them into playlists for easy listening, liking a lot of what I'm (briefly) hearing thus far.

Necro wrote: »
    It's an interesting split between the movie scenes so far, enjoying seeing which scene people pick even.
    Shall you adopt the same marking system as Johnny Reb for that round?
    Mark the song on it's own, then mark how well it works with the clip and finally add the scores together?

Shall you adopt the same marking system as Johnny Reb for that round? Mark the song on it's own, then mark how well it works with the clip and finally add the scores together?

Yes I think that's the fairest way to do it.

I should add, I'll probably do something similar with the first category too, marks for the song and marks for the video.

I must admit I am curious to see how people will do in their own category.
    For eg. how will PJ get on in the video round, how will Reb do in the film score round and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

In! Not feeling confident about the majority of my selections but sure isn't it the taking part that counts :P

Mr Kingsley, An Lacha Corchra :confused:
    Must be from the dim and distant days of stone-age sheep... Walrus even.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ahh, thought of what I wanted to enter for the TV theme but it was entered last time. Love this song, damn you and your impeccable taste Homer :p
    15th and getting 10 points is
    Deleted User

Fever Ray - If I Had A Heart ; Vikings

I know of Vikings, but have never watched it. It sounds really familiar so must've heard it before, or it could just be because I've heard a couple of other Fever Ray songs. Great song, really enjoyed it and loved the vibe, it was just up against a lot of heavy hitters here.

• Advertisement

Ahh, thought of what I wanted to enter for the TV theme but it was entered last time. Love this song, damn you and your impeccable taste Homer :p

Different host, different competition, different result, so you should go for it.

Advertisement