Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Separation.. ex husband/ father absent

• 13-04-2021 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey, was wondering if anybody has dealt with anything similar to my situation and what did happen in the end with court ??? Long story short, just got appointment with legal aid solicitor, have three kids under 15 , spilt from ex husband two year. He got sacked from his job last October ,so no maintenance since and he hasnt bothered to see or ask about the kids since then either . Only thing we have jointly is life insurance , that I pay. Am on jobseekers transition . I know he is not gonna bother getting a solicitor or even acknowledge any letters ect regarding all this... anybody any idea what to expect. Am I in for a long haul or will a judge see his behaviour and give me full custody and sort out any maintenance .. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

lizzy11 wrote: »
    Hey, was wondering if anybody has dealt with anything similar to my situation and what did happen in the end with court ??? Long story short, just got appointment with legal aid solicitor, have three kids under 15 , spilt from ex husband two year. He got sacked from his job last October ,so no maintenance since and he hasnt bothered to see or ask about the kids since then either . Only thing we have jointly is life insurance , that I pay. Am on jobseekers transition . I know he is not gonna bother getting a solicitor or even acknowledge any letters ect regarding all this... anybody any idea what to expect. Am I in for a long haul or will a judge see his behaviour and give me full custody and sort out any maintenance .. thanks

I know that legal aid is an extremely slow process here in Ireland...I know one person and it took her years to eventually get to court/get sorted. If you live in Dublin it maybe quicker/have young children.
    It will also be difficult for you if he's going to ignore solicitor letters... I suppose that will mean he will have to be summoned to court.
    No doubt that judge will take his behaviour into account especially as you both have young children. If he's not working and only receiving minimal income he has to have enough to live on/food etc...so the maintenance is generally based on that......he has to maintain them until they finish school/college
    You will really need to keep contacting legal aid because there some slackers/make sure you get what you are entitled to and make sure your legal aid solicitor is working for you....
    Is there no way you could afford a private solicitor? good luck ...

Advertisement