Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Life Jacket / Boyancy Aids

• 12-04-2021 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I've just bought a couple of kayaks to hopefully enjoy over the summer. I can't swim and am actually quite nervous of the water so just looking for some advise on what PFD (personal floatation device) I should be going with.

From what I see, for kayaking most people would go for a 50N boyancy aid. For people that can't swim sometimes a 100N life jacket would be recommended.

I'll likely only be using it on calm canals, lakes and rivers. Maybe on the coast but only in calm conditions.

Would the 50N boyancy aid be ok, or should I be going for the full life jacket, given I can't swim.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Full life jacket would restrict your movement and impede your paddling. I am not sure how a life jacket collar would work with a helmet too.

50N was plenty fine for me when I was tumbling down rapids (out of the boat), but I think you can get higher newton BAs as well, but they are more for people who may be carrying extra kit (expedition gear).

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ger22

sharingan wrote: »
    Full life jacket would restrict your movement and impede your paddling. I am not sure how a life jacket collar would work with a helmet too.

50N was plenty fine for me when I was tumbling down rapids (out of the boat), but I think you can get higher newton BAs as well, but they are more for people who may be carrying extra kit (expedition gear).

Thanks sharingan. By the sounds of it a 50N boyancy aid should do the trick. Even though I can't swim though?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Ger22 wrote: »
    By the sounds of it a 50N boyancy aid should do the trick. Even though I can't swim though?

50N will keep you floating and TBH it's actually quite difficult to swim with a PFD on. You should be more worried about keeping contact with your kayak and being able to self rescue if you capsize. I'm also assuming you have a SOT rather than a sit in kayak.

Advertisement