Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 260

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Bones will be shook to the bones by this man

I think so man

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

It's a shame francis got into mma late if he had gotten in young he could be the goat. Now that he seems to have a bit of a grasp of the sport I don't know if I'd pick even jon jones against him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Ngannou is a top man. Love that interview. I'm a big fan of Stipe and had a couple bob on him, but fair play to the big fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

nerd69 wrote: »
    It's a shame francis got into mma late if he had gotten in young he could be the goat. Now that he seems to have a bit of a grasp of the sport I don't know if I'd pick even jon jones against him

In fairness, JJ off the peds hasn't a hope against that powerhouse.

Let's be honest here, ngannou is a big heavy weight and bones is a ped lower weight

I say smashed in one round of it even happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Usman to maintain

Rose to win

Any thoughts

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Let's be honest here, ngannou is a big heavy weight and bones is a ped lower weight

Have you see Jones on instagram lately, hes been getting a lot bigger...still a big fight for him but hes been bulking up quite a bit for moving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭vafankillar

just realized there are now zero american champions? is this a first?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Francis is a monster. Very smart fight from him.
    Hope he does the same to Bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

just realized there are now zero american champions? is this a first?

Sterling at BW is American.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,520 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I wouldn't be writing off Jones just yet he always finds a way
    Stipe got the leg but went up and left instead of down and right like he usually does, Seems like a little thing but it was a massiv mistake and gave Francis the chance to use strength instead of balance and technic to stay standing

Also don't count out Jones being on thebpeds for this one where there is a will there is a way

• Advertisement

And New
    Jones is far more patient and methodical than Miocic. There's no way he gets caught rushing in like Stipe did last night.

Stipe had been going alright up to the knockout. He had felt Ngannou's power and brushed it off and had gotten himself out of ominous looking situations. No idea why his cornering were shouting at him to get stuck in.

Patient Ngannou is ominous though.

A fight I'd definitely purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Big big improvement from NGannou from their first fight. All the more impressive considering the run of early K.O.s he's been on. In their last fight Stipe made him look like a novice. In this fight he looked like he was a real MMA fighter. The fact that he was able to sprawl effectively to thwart the take-down combined with the fact that he was extremely patient with his boxing meant that Stipe didn't have any obvious openings.

Dana White must be absolutely delighted. He now has his very own Mike Tyson. Every option looks great for pay per views. He can just line up a series of fighters for NGannou to K.O. spectacularly or go for the super fight with Jones.

Stipe cuaght Francis with the big right hand that actually wobbled him, Great recovery show by Francis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Derek Lewis beats Francis for the title after Jon prices himself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Raw power from Francis..

I thought Stipe fought scared. His whole demeanour was one of avoiding.

Francis seems to have two great traits here that make him so dangerous. Real power and a solid chin..

Jones won’t take that power, and I think Francis will find Jon’s chin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭xtal191

ASOT wrote: »

This wouldn't surprise me at all

Lewis to win the title would show just how weak the HW division is right now. Came across some nonsense the last few weeks about Stipe being super-top level and possibly in the GOAT discussion. Nonsense.

Lewis to win the title would show just how weak the HW division is right now. Came across some nonsense the last few weeks about Stipe being super-top level and possibly in the GOAT discussion. Nonsense.

Whos been a better heavy weight than Stipe?
    Its slim pickings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Its slim pickings
    A healthy Cain Velasquez would be the Greatest in my opinion but he was not healthy for long enough to be the greatest!
    A lot of talk about Randy Couture i think Miocic beats him every time!
    Call me a fanboy but a trained Lesnar would have been an absolute monster!
    Hard to argue with Miocic after all he beat Reem, Junior, Arlovski, Werdum and Cormier to name but a few!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Its slim pickings

Fedor? Very slim pickings though yeah. Cain, JDS, Couture, Mir, Werdum, Sylvia all in the top 10 I suppose.

Dos Santos was pretty special for 3 or 4 years. 9 wins in a row in the UFC HW division is no joke. Not so good off the juice though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Who's been better though, a better all rounder?

I can't think of anyone.

I thing Ngannou will do well to match Stipe also.

Lewis on the other hand appears to be a lot better now that he's taking it
    more seriously and also has a higher percentage of ko wins than ngannou.
    He'll stand and trade with with francis too if it happens and it's a match up
    that could go anyway if it works out that way.

ASOT wrote: »

you could be right
    I wouldn't like to call that one.

I think JJ prices himself out too, dana will just say fcuk it and give it to Lewis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The thing about heavyweight, and especially when it comes to title fights at HW, is that most of the fighters punch so hard that they can K.O. people at a far greater rate than at the lower divisions. This adds a huge level of variance to the fights since there is a very real possibility that the person fighting the better fight can get knocked out at any time. Obviously that risk applies to all fights in all divisions, but it's greater at HW. That's the main reason why no UFC champion has successfully defended the belt at HW more than 3 times. It also makes Fedor's streak of wins from 2001-2009 all the more impressive.

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    A healthy Cain Velasquez would be the Greatest in my opinion but he was not healthy for long enough to be the greatest!
    A lot of talk about Randy Couture i think Miocic beats him every time!
    Call me a fanboy but a trained Lesnar would have been an absolute monster!
    Hard to argue with Miocic after all he beat Reem, Junior, Arlovski, Werdum and Cormier to name but a few!

Cain was healthy against JDS, Werdum and Francis
    And they all sparked him,

Randy is a legend no question but he also lost lots of fights aginst decent opponents, I think Stipe beats him soundly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Randy is a legend no question but he also lost lots of fights against decent opponents, I think Stipe beats him soundly
    Im pretty sure he had a torn meniscus and re injured rotator cuff going into the fight with Junior?
    He had two knee surgeries before facing Werdum and i dont think he was every the same after!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Stipe is my favourite HW but my god Francis is a scary human being. Disappointed Stipe lost but happy out for Francis. Dunno why but O'Malley is hugely unlikeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

Smaller cage definitely favoured Francis more.

I hope Luque gets a top five guy after that.

He rarely gets talked about and 18 of his 20wins have now been finishes

Whether he can make the step up and compete with the likes of burns or colby I have my doubts but there's nobody tougher than him in the ufc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

mailburner wrote: »
    Who's been better though, a better all rounder?

I can't think of anyone.

I thing Ngannou will do well to match Stipe also.

Lewis on the other hand appears to be a lot better now that he's taking it
    more seriously and also has a higher percentage of ko wins than ngannou.
    He'll stand and trade with with francis too if it happens and it's a match up
    that could go anyway if it works out that way.

While technically true that Lewis has a higher ko percentage it's a little disingenuous.
    Francis has stopped all 16 of his opponents in his victories but subbed 4 of them and ko'ed 12.
    Lewis has ko'ed 20 of 25, but has 1 submission and gone the distance 4 times.
    Both it incredibly hard, but ignore the stats, NGannou is the bigger puncher and probably has the better chin.

While Lewis could knock out any heavyweight, I think the rematch is tough for him. Francis looks to have learned how to fight patient and knows the pace at which he can fight without gassing. I doubt he'll fight like that first Lewis fight again.
    If they both start trading bombs away, Lewis has a chance, but Francis is the bigger puncher and has the better chin, he'd have to be a solid favourite.

I like that leg kick of NGannou's btw, could be a real weapon against a guy like Lewis who's feet aren't the quickest !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JDS caught him with a lucky shot. It happens, esp at HW.
    Very hard to argue that JDS was more skilled given the 10 rounds between them that followed.

Werdum subbed him after a 3 year layout to injury. I don't think that's the version the poster was talking about

He blew his knee vrs Francis in a freak injury. I think that the perfect example of Cain's banjax'd body. He his later years were plagued by it.

Advertisement